New knee coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

I live in the Central West of NSW Australia, and am booked in for a knee replacement on 14 June. I am looking forward to it as I am sick of the pain and discomfort. The Ortho says it is bone on bone and now is the time to do it. My dilemma is do I try to build up my thighs and calves before the operation or just rely on physiotherapy afterwards. I would really appreciate any input from any side of the question. I am 63, still working, reasonably fit but definately not an athlete, not obese, but I can't ride my bike any more than 3/4 mile.
I find that one post I have read where the patient has lost interest in his light beer and a gl*** of red in the evening the only scary thing about this process, so please don't send any bad news along these lines as I am very positive about this.

Build up all you can before the surgery. It will help your recovery. I just had hip replacement and I tried to keep myself in good shape before. Now it is really paying off. Go for it!

You're going to do fine. I'm a wine drinker and I was enjoying a good gl*** of Australian chardonnay the week I came home from surgery. Stay as active as you can prior to surgery since you'll need all those muscles afterwards in recovery.
pt109

Actually, I did some research on this only a couple of months ago - amongst medical papers available on the net - and found that the general outcomes are no different for those who have done preparatory physio/exercises and those who have not.

Interesting, huh?

The group of surgeons which includes mine (and who I worked with) don't bother about it.

Thanks for the advice. I am sort of in the middle ground. I have not done any formal exercise but have been very active with some walking and finishing off our back garden renovations with just two weeks to go. I will let you know how I am going.

David:
When I had my hip replacement, there were two patients in my "joint camp" rehab program who had knee replacements. The day after surgery, they were both flexing their new knees at 90 degrees! They get you up and moving very fast these days, and range of motion is pushed very early so that you can go home able to sit and walk. You will be surprised how quickly you will get moving. If they give you the option of a spinal, take it! That means the pain will be under control very quickly after surgery and you'll feel much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie