MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

What a lovely post! It’s great to hear from you. :wave:

I bet your ROM will continue to improve, mine has, past my one year check up.

Pretty much the same. I finally broke down and made an appointment for another second opinion later this month.

The only thing that has improved for me is my ROM. And ROM is not everything. I still have the same limitations that I had a year ago.

I am bracing myself to hear that dreaded word-revision. :bawl:

@beachy I was so ready to kiss 2018 goodbye lol. How are you doing? Hubby doing better?

And how are you liking your new house?

@Jockette I am loving it. Still trying to finish getting everything situated and pictures hung on the walls. That is my goal for Feb lol. The knees will determine that!!:snork:

I’ve been in my current house 3.5 years and still haven’t hung much up! Decisions! :yikes:

I did put some pictures in my small hallway, then added two collages, and now it feels like there’s too many people in my hallway! :rotfl:

Hubs is hanging in there. He still has ways to go, but prognosis is good. Thanks for asking.

My knee is great!

Well I'm back. I've lurked around some here and there, but have been just going on with life. Unfortunately something is wrong with my right knee. It has always had this feeling like it is stuck in a vise but just thought it would eventually get better. It hasn't and somedays it's all I can do to not have a meltdown. I really thought I would be back to a normal life by now. Went in for my year follow up in October and of course xrays show nothing. He put me on an anti inflammatory that did nothing, we tried a steroid shot and I got relief for about 2 days. So he has now ordered a CT scan that is scheduled for this coming Tuesday. Has anyone experienced this? He really doesn't feel like it's an infection. I'm trying not to get to worked up over it but I am still concerned that something is wrong. Sorry for the rant but I don't really have anyone who gets it lol.

Hope everyone is doing well.:):xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

I'm so sorry you're having problems. I hope they can figure out the problem and that it's a minor fix. Please keep us updated.

I was hoping you were doing well since we hadn't heard from you in a while. I'm sorry you aren't. At least your doctor is researching your complaints. Many doctors won't do that. If the xrays look good, then they don't do anything else. You are blessed that yours is. I pray he can find out what is the cause of your complaints.

Thank you @sistersinhim. I really do like my doctor. He has always listened to me and has always seemed to be compassionate about it. He actually acknowledged the swelling when he examined it, which I swear I thought it was just my fat knees lol. I think the biggest concern he has is that the knee keeps "giving out" when I'm walking. Hopefully I will get some answers from the scan.

So the results from the CT scan state :lucency at the bone prosthesis and bone cement interfaces along the medial and posterior aspects of the tibial tray, which can be a sign of arthroplasty loosening.

So he has ordered a 3 phase bone scan for next Thursday, Dec 26th. He was telling me what scan will be looking for but to be honest I was a little numb about then so dont even remember what he said. I will see him on the 30th to get the results.

At least I know I'm not crazy that something wasn't right. I'm really thankful my dr kept investigating after the xrays looked normal.

Trying to not let it get me down this close to Christmas but I'm a bit upset right now.

Thanks for listening:)

Thank God your doctor is researching your problem. Once you find out what's wrong, that's half the battle.

I’m new here, but I wanted to say hi and let you know that I read your entire story. You have had quite a journey! I hope that your scan provides some answers that will lead to a treatment that will finally have you in the road to a full and total recovery. I will be watching for updates and cheering for ya from the sidelines here in Pittsburgh. :banana-santa:

Trying to not let it get me down this close to Christmas but I'm a bit upset right now.
I would be upset. too! I’m sorry you are facing this.

My knee has never felt right and 3 surgeons (the original and 2 second opinions) have not looked past my fine X-ray to find out what’s wrong. I’ve been semi self diagnosing for quite a while now, as I read other posts that have issues and kind of describe my discomfort. And each time, I’m upset. It’s like no one but Bonesmart will listen to me.:banghead:

I hope you get the solution you need and move on to a complete recovery.:console2:

So here is the results from the 3 phase bone scan:

PROTOCOL: 23.2 mCi of Tc-99m MDP was injected intravenously.
Flow images of the knees and early blood pool images of the same
region were obtained. Delayed static images including whole body and
selected spot images were also obtained approximately 3 hours later.

FINDINGS: Flow images show physiological activity. Blood pool
images show mildly increased tracer activity in the right distal
femur and proximal tibia as well as a smaller focus of mildly
increased tracer uptake in the left lateral knee.

Delayed static images show mildly increased tracer activity in the
right distal femur and proximal tibia. Photopenic defects of both
knees consistent with bilateral total knee arthroplasty.

IMPRESSION:
1.Tracer uptake in the right knee is favored postsurgical changes or
represents the findings are atypical of osteomyelitis due to lack and
increased blood flow. Hardware loosening.
2.Status post bilateral total knee arthroplasty.

I saw my surgeon this past Friday and he stated that where it was loosening where it was glued so no cause for concern. Said I had quite a bit of scar tissue so may have to do surgery to clean it up. He put on Gabapentin to see if it helped then may try laser to see of that helps,

My question is this report doesn't seem to state any of that? Am I reading this report wrong? I know we are not doctors but it hurts from my right knee up into my thigh and down into my lower leg. The left is now starting to give out as well...this is getting old and not where I thought I would be by now.

Sorry for the rant!

Sorry you are having to go through all of this.
Sounds like you are not satisfied with the response of your surgeon, it may be time to seek a second opinion for your TKR. Search for a surgeon specializing in Revisions, they have the education and background to determine what is happening with troubled knees. Look for a surgeon specializing in complex joint reconstruction or revisions. They should have no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back