MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

Merry Christmas!!
:nativity::treestar:

@beachy it's a little better. Still very uncomfortable when I walk on it but I've just resigned myself to it is what it is. But it's still completely straight and when I'm sitting or laying on the bed it bends much better than before the MUA so that's something. Just have to really think about how I'm walking so I dont throw my gait off. Heel to toe has been difficult since last Friday.

How are you doing? Hubby still getting better?

Heel to toe is difficult when your muscles are weak or sore. Be careful. You have time to get the gait down. I think I was a little too aggressive with heel to toe while walking the hospital and it's garages. I do it now, but not all the time. Waiting for calf muscle to heal.

I'm better, more optimistic now. Hubs is getting better. Thanks for asking!
My friend's dad had mua and did great! He could barely walk before it. I know it's a controversial procedure, but it worked for him. Hang in there! 2019 is going to be your year!

@beachy yes its something having to learn to walk correctly again lol. Think that's why my calf is so sore right now. I figure as long as it's not totally off I will be ok. I'm actually glad I had the mua. Knee was no where near being straight and the bend was getting worse it seemed every day. Now its straight and still bending at 120 with no pt so I'm not sorry having it done.

Glad your feeling more optimistic and that hubby is improving. We will rock 2019!!

I am announcing this now. I will be officially joining the ODIC next Saturday. My sweet brother just gave me and my other sister his tickets to the Cowboys playoff game next Saturday night. I haven't quite decided yet whether to try and drive or take the Megabus up but I'm going. Probably seems ridiculous to some but I love my Cowboys and this is rare opportunity so I'm going for it. Hopefully wont be too bad!:reindeer:

Some things are worth a visit to the ODIC -- with my first knee I had made plans to travel to San Francisco 2 months after my surgery. We walked an average of 6 miles a day for 5 days -- I was in the ODIC for a few days after I got back but it was totally worth it. Have fun at the game!

I suggest you take ice packs with you and try to find a way to elevate. I hope you have a great time!

@Txmomgmom3 that sounds like a brilliant idea to have something to look forward to. It takes the emphasis off thinking about your knee all the time. Enjoy !

You can use ice packs in the car. How is your knee feeling now since your MUA?

@sistersinhim I'm driving myself up there but I actually have found a way to ice while driving lol. Its better since the MUA ...constantly straight and I can bend it myself to 120. Stiffness is still there in just the knee area but the left is the same way so probably been doing a bit much :chinstroke:I'm not sorry I did it at least. He did prescribe Gabapentin x 2 for 30 days so I think that's helping. Finding I only need my prescription pain med at night and it's only tylenol with codeine. Thank you for asking!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!:flwrysmile:

I think icing while driving will help a lot! I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Haven't posted in awhile but here is the latest from the "I survived 2 TKR's in 2018" society. I have not achieved any further ROM than the 120 (most times when they measure at PT it is 118) but most happily report it is completely straight still. PT after the MUA was the same as before, and my therapist took me down to 2 days a week in early January rather than the 3 I was previously doing. My OS visits in the month of January were all good and as of last Monday, Feb. 4th, I do not see him until April for 6 month follow-up for right and will also just go ahead and do the year follow-up with lefty since it was done in May. He also said this past Monday to stop with the pt and go live my life lol. So I had my final PT visit this past Friday and was given a list of home exercises to do to continue with strengthening (yea like that's going to happen) and stretching (maybe do these but not everyday like she recommended). Final measurement 118/0. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I started easing back into work the week after Christmas and really over did it for awhile as a co-worker had a family tragedy and I stepped in to help her. I am back this week to my regular schedule as she has returned to work. Lot of icing was going on let me tell you.

I am mainly taking extra strength Tylenol but there are days I still take the 8 hour one. Still have Tylenol with codeine but it's reserved for nighttime if I feel I really need it. Ice and elevating are still my go to's. :ice::elevate::ice::elevate: Sleeping is OK for the most part except for the nights I have these horrendous leg cramps ...never had them so bad in my life. Not sure why it is happening but it's in both legs. May have to go to reg Dr to see what's up with that.

I am tired of being a walking barometer though. I can tell you when rain is coming and when a cold spell (well at least it's cold to me in this part of TX) is here. Neither knee likes it and get extremely stiff and painful. I do hope that gets better over time. Hope the humidity will be tolerable lol.

It was exactly a year ago today the OS told me my left knee needed replacing and the date was set. It has definitely been and continues to be a up and down journey. I sometimes still wonder what I've done :heehee: but don't regret having the knees replaced (for the most part anyway). I have resigned myself to the fact the knees are stiff and may be that way for awhile, hopefully not forever. But that horrific bone-on-bone pain is gone and that in itself makes this all worth it.

So thankful for this forum and all the great people here. It has and continues to make this recovery/journey more tolerable and easier than going it alone. I am looking forward to see how much farther we all continue to go.

I'm also looking forward to the day I can take some long walks, play at a park with my grandkids and do the other things I enjoyed before arthritis reared it's ugly head and took me down this road. It will be nice to wake up and not have the knees be the first thing I think of.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for reading the longest post I've made to date lol :rotfl:

Joy
:walking::dogwalk:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562