MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

@Txmomgmom3 you are not alone my friend sleep is still proving evasive for me too. My nerve pain subsided so stopped the Gaberpen. I hate taking meds and try to take as little as possible. I use Tylenol in day and works fine but getting a good night’s sleep without meds is still an unmet goal. Ten weeks out still got a few issues like you but maybe we will turn the corner at the magic 12 weeks milestone.

I hope so for you guys but I’m at 11 weeks and I’m still sleep challenged. It’s midnight and here I am, on BS. LOL

And I’ll hold off on the cupping too. Not sure it’s my thing anyway. I just like the massages.

Will be having to take a long road trip on August 9th (Tx to Ca) for a wedding and will the return trip on August 13th. I will be right at 3 months post op. Any suggestions/advice? Flying is not an option this time.

Ugh. We did that drive one time, from Killeen to Sacramento. And will NEVER do it again. (And we flew there and then drove our daughter's car here while she was deployed; we didn't have to do a round trip in the car) It took more than a day just to get out of Texas. I think we broke the trip up into 3 or 4 days, which you won't be doing. But, if you can, I suggest giving yourself a couple of days each way, at least, and have the ability to elevate as often as possible. I'd also bring the ice machine along if you have one, and use it whenever you can. If you stay at hotels, as we did, you can fill it from their ice makers, or bring plenty of zip top bags to fill with ice if you don't have, or bring, an ice machine. You can also buy ice along the way to use in the car. Plan to stop and stretch, plus walk around often, also. Just sitting for long stretches is hard on new knees. Overall, don't do more than you have to, and make sure to ice and elevate as often as you can. Bring along OTC pain relief, and maybe a few stronger ones if you find yourself in a lot of pain and need more than Tylenol. Good luck and have some fun!

I think I'm going to order a new cryo cuff for the ice machine my friend let me borrow and freeze a few water bottles. Her cuff leaked really bad so I just have been using gel packs etc. Will definitely pack stronger pain meds and will bring the lounge dr. From our house (Houston area) to Temecula it's 23 hours so I hear you on getting out of Texas lol. We are bringing our 3 grandchildren back from their visit with their father so I need to help daughter on the way back at least. I wasn't supposed to go but unfortunately the hubby can't take off from work now so it's too late to buy plane tickets without costing a small fortune. They live with us and to be honest I'm missing those little munchkins! Should be interesting :unsure:

Another option if you don’t want to take the ice machine [and obviously can't use it in your car] or use zip lock bags is to use an ice bag. I’ve used the ones below from Amazon - I strap the large one on at night and can comfortably sleep with it while my legs are elevated on my Lounge Doctor. So if you have ice available in a cooler during your journey you can easily fill it up as frequently as you desire.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 9.18.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 9.18.49 PM.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 294
@Dzina Thank you! The ice machine is the gravity fed one so it doesn't plug in but I like the look of these. Might need to order :)

Finally received my lounge Dr today. Sitting here right now with all my ice packs (5 total lol) with my legs both elevated finally. Wishing I would've ordered it in the extra wide but getting the small length seems to be the right size for my stubby legs. Hoping I can finally get comfortable tonight to sleep. Having one leg elevated and one flat on the bed just wasn't cutting it. Still can't sleep on my side no matter how I try and want to.

Having one leg elevated and one flat on the bed just wasn't cutting it. Still can't sleep on my side no matter how I try and want to.
I did the one leg up and one on the bed for months, then I put both legs up on my single wedge and I’m comfortable.

My wedge is starting to separate though, from the second leg laying on a part of the the wedge that wasn’t designed to support a leg. I may have to go back to my hospital and beg them to sell me another one if mine becomes unusable. My leg really likes it.

I tried a lounge Dr recently but my leg didn’t like it, it’s a different angle and my knee is extremely sensitive to angles and very particular.

And I still can’t sleep on my side, due again, to the angle. I wish my knee would get over itself!

I have a single leg wedge that a friend lent to me and I would put the other leg up on it as well but I noticed it was starting to separate so I had to stop..didn't want to return it to her ruined lol. We shall see how this works.

These knees sure are divas aren't they:heehee:

Going to attempt a movie today. The theatre has recliners at least. Wonder how many weird looks I would get if I took my lounge Dr :heehee:

@Jockette It went well. Seats were very comfortable and reclined so knee didn't seem to mind. However I got a little ambitious and decided to walk around the mall with hubby and son. Took my cane just in case. Went ok but it was too crowded and it was making hubby nervous as a couple of kids ran into me so he put a halt to the outing lol. Home now with with feet up and getting ready to ice. Knee isn't hurting but is a bit swollen so I'm getting ahead of the curve so to speak. All in all a successful outing I think.

When we’re successful with one thing, we want more.

I was always so afraid someone would bump into me. When I first started doing short grocery runs, I would actually stop short if someone got remotely close. It was spontaneous, I couldn’t help it. The jolt of stopping short was not good for my knee! Can’t win! I’m better at it now.

Yes we do. It's like our brain says your fine keep on going. But by the time we realized its a bad idea it's too late lol.

I hear you on the grocery store. First few trips I used one of those electric carts. Now I use the shopping cart but try to go when it's not too crowded. And your right..just can't win!

Graduated from pt today!! 123/0 on my own. I really liked the people here, non-aggressive and were ok with me telking them no. If and when I have the other knee done I may come back to them but then again I may not lol. Onward and upward!

:spin::egypdance::yay::happydance::cheers:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back