MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

I’m glad to hear that! I forgot, I did do a small thing of “stairs” at the hospital, it was designed like a little bridge, one side had 3 short steps, the other side had 2 which were each a little higher.

I was probably a little sneaky with the cpm. They gave me the remote control and I just turned it off when I decided my knee had had enough. It's not like they were in the room with me monitoring. :heehee: I thought it was ok for small doses, but not as much as they want you to use it for.

If it hurts to use the CPM then don't. If it's hurting you, then it's not helping your knee at all, but harming it. Please don't let anyone make you do anything that causes your knee any more pain than you are already in.

I was put on the CPM straight out of theatre after my MUA. Wasn't used at all after the TKR. The CPM is the main reasons I needed so much morphine and goodness now what else. I refuse to have it anywhere near me now.

So here we are 12 days out and I have a question for all you awesome people here! My friend gave me a wedge that has the indentation in it for the leg. Did any of you use it ? I find I am waking up with my knee turned to the side instead of being straight..Is that ok? Read somewhere that the knee should be kept straight and not allowed to be on it's side.

On a different note, nausea is better (Dr changed the nausea medication ) but knee is still hovering in the 5-6 pain range and is warm to the touch. I see him on Wed to have stitches removed so hopefully I get some good news .

Thank you all for the information you've already given me...It's greatly appreciated :loveshwr:

Your leg doesn’t have to be dead straight - it’ll be more comfy with a slight bend. At 3 weeks out I woke up to find myself sleeping on my stomach! Didn’t seem to hurt anything. Also the heat thing can go on for a while, it will begin to cool. At times it felt like I could fry an egg on mine but ice was bliss. Early days of healing for you at the moment. When I asked my surgeon if he used a CPM machine, he looked like I’d asked him about antique medical equipment and just said,No!

Elevation helps, but otherwise I don't think the position your leg is in makes much difference at all to your knee's recovery. Whatever is most comfortable for you seems best to me.

When I asked my surgeon if he used a CPM machine, he looked like I’d asked him about antique medical equipment and just said,No!
I asked my PT about that, too, and he told me it’s old school. As always, different approaches to recovery.

I have a wedge like that and it’s pretty hard for me to move my leg out of it in my sleep. I love it, I still sleep with it every night. It has a slight rise in the middle of it that gives my leg just a little bend. My hospital sent it home with me. Mine is designed for one leg but I am also putting my other leg up on it and it’s started to tear a bit.

Today I'm exactly 3 weeks post op. Home pt started coming finally last Friday (insurance issues..why are they insisting I haven't met my out of pocket total is beyond me lol but home Healthcare is helping me around that for now). Worked with me on properly doing the prescribed exercises to do over the day weekend ..nothing drastic and honestly it was the same as Bonesmart recommended . He came back today and added more things in, again nothing drastic , just all stretching, no strength. Had me walk with no walker!! And he was happy but said not to overdo it in case of losing Balance etc. However, he did some pushing on the leg and I was ok the first couple of times but the next one I let out a curse word and he stopped. He looked sternly at me and said I told you to tell me if it hurts! It's not supposed to hurt only feel a bit uncomfortable..we both started laughing lol. I feel lucky to have him as a therapist, especially with what I've read on here.

Second rambling is when did most of you go off gabapentin? Os wouldn't refill it last Wed when stitches came out. Also, when do you usually stop taking Percocet? He alluded to the fact this would be last refill for that. Already stopped the 12 HR oxycontin (did save the last 4 tablets for therapy days). My pain level stays at a 5 most of the time but the percocet contains acetaminophen (10-325 mg). Any suggestions?

After the first few weeks I had a prescription for hydrocodone (Norco) instead of percocet. My OS' approach was oxycodone, then down to hydrocodone and I was to start lengthening the time between doses as I felt I could. I was also taking acetaminophen but watching my total intake of that. I wonder if you could get a couple of weeks of hydrocodone or tramadol.
You can take up to 3,000 mg of acetaminophen in 24 hours per the FDA.

Had me walk with no walker!! And he was happy but said not to overdo it in case of losing Balance etc. However, he did some pushing on the leg and I was ok the first couple of times but the next one I let out a curse word and he stopped.
It's early to be giving up the walker. It's there to help prevent a fall, as well as to help you walk - your PT is right about that.
Please tell him not to push on your leg at all, not even gently. It isn't necessary and it might cause harm.

Sounds like you are doing great! Make sure "No" is at the top of your vocabulary list! Uncomfortable is okay; pain is not!!! I did not let anyone else move my knee. If I couldn't do it, another person (or CPM) was not allowed to force it.

I cannot remember how long I took the Percocet, but I did rotate it with Tramadol (I think?) Pain control was a priority for me and I was lucky my OS was also on board!! I found that my ice machine and very gentle stretching helped lower my pain tremendously!!!

Just remember, it will only get better from here on out!!!

Jen

I stopped taking all pain meds, except arthritis strength Tylenol, two weeks post-op. I was never prescribed gabapentin, but Tramadol and Oxycodone. Try to be patient and don’t let anyone push you.

Second rambling is when did most of you go off gabapentin? Os wouldn't refill it last Wed when stitches came out.
Usually, you stop it when you feel you no longer need it. Since you have to come off it, try to tail off the doses gradually, rather than stopping suddenly.

Hi all! Will be 4 weeks out this coming week already. Feels like months lol..not used to being homebound as I know all my fellow Bonesmart friends can relate. My husband worked a 15 hr shift last night so I decided to come downstairs for the day rather than listen to the snoring. Rather than just sitting and elevating like I should have, I ended up cleaning out both inside and outside refrigerators apparently the hubby and daughter need a little work in that department lol. Then rather than just making the grocery list to give to daughter , I decided to go with her. Used one of the smart carts so it wasn't to bad (or so I thought) but boy is my knee mad at me right now. Back home now on the couch with legs propped up on the end that reclines and icing. I have a feeling I will need to stay upstairs tomorrow lol. It's amazing how tired you can get doing so little. But it did feel nice to get out of the house. Hope everyone is doing well today.

Oh I forgot to ask how do I change the thread title? I named it that while in the hospital but it's not as bad as it was when I originally posted.

Tell us what title you want and we’ll change it for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom