TKR New journey starts today!

MarkkxG

Country
United States United States
Had LTKR this morning and I feel great but that's mostly from the regional nerve block I guess. Within 90 minutes post op they had me walking. They said the walker is only for stability and I can fully weight bear on it. Had it done in a swanky facility where all they do are Hip and knee replacements. Had PT and relaxing in my huge suite. serious this is just like a hotel room

I was so nervous this morning but the surgeon said everything went great. I had a few meniscus surgeries as a kid for team sports and was diagnosed with bone on bone in 2002 and it honestly didn't start to bother me till about a year ago. I've run several marathons and my goal is to get back to a little bit of running someday

Tomorrow will be more challenging as the nerve block wears off but I have my med's and will be mentally ready. They will be showing me how to walk up and down stairs with a walker

Did you have your tkr on Jan. 28 like your signature says or was it today, February 6, 2019?

I will leave you our recovery articles. Following these will help you to have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Did you have your tkr on Jan. 28 like your signature says or was it today, February 6, 2019?

Hi it was moved from 1/28 to 2/6 so I could have it done at the specialized facility

Thank you

mark

Hi Mark, I'm a couple of weeks behind you. The right attitude helps a lot and I wish you well as you start on this journey. As someone said to me 'we all start on the same line, but we don't all finish at the same time. We'll get there in the end though.' Good luck!

All the best with your recovery @MarkkxG ! Slow and steady is the best approach. Do let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Day 2 update. feeling great. PT came in and did exercises and walking up and down stairs. ROM is 100 Flexion and -1 extension which he said is great for 2nd day. Onward and upward. time to relax and medicate

That's really good, Mark.

Don't be concerned if you find that your ROM decreases once you get home. That usually does happen, because you are a bit more active at home. It will recover again, as your swelling decreases.

There's no need to rush to get ROM, because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Update 1 week post op: Days 3 and 4 were absolutely brutal but then there has been some relief. I'm now able to do all 3 sets of my daily exercises although heel slides are still very very tough. My Flexion and Extension has improved each day. After doing exercises today I was able to get to 105 Flexion and 3 Extension which I think is good for 1 week post op. Taking less pain pills each day and icing and elevating a LOT. I see Doc tomorrow for my post op and hope he thinks everything is progressing as it should and hope to get a date when I can start some formal PT.

I'm now able to do all 3 sets of my daily exercises although heel slides are still very very tough. My Flexion and Extension has improved each day. After doing exercises today I was able to get to 105 Flexion and 3 Extension which I think is good for 1 week post op.
No need for all this "pushing" to get ROM. It will come with time.

That poor knee needs a bit of TLC and recovery time. PT can happen once all is healed.

Thanks Jaycey I'm getting plenty of rest and recovery most of the day. I'm doing the excercises as prescribed t me by my surgeon. No more and no less!

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control :ok:. This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living. Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new:). You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly. ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there:yes:.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back