• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Bilateral THR New hips on November 26

BigDogMom

Country
United States United States
Hi all, got my new hips on 11/26. Tuesday. The night was tough didn’t get the pain under control until 2:00. One nurse was stubborn. Shift change and things were much better. Went home on Wednesday. Each day is such an improvement. I now have a greater understanding of “heavy legs”

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:
Hello! Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us.
Congrats on your two new hips! Please read the Recovery Guidelines below and stop by often. We'd love to follow your progress and support you as you're healing. Wishing you comfort as you begin the recovery journey. :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @BigDogMom

Last edited:

Debru4

graduate
Country
Those first few days can be rough, but even with the surgical pain, at least you know it will improve before long. That's so different from the failing hip pain, that you knew would never get better! I did not enjoy my first few days at all---also had trouble getting the pain under control, but by day 5, I started to see such nice improvement in my pain level, my mobility, and my frame of mind. Having had 2 hips done, you probably are looking at a more challenging first couple of weeks, but how wonderful that you are now on the road to recovery! And those crazy "log legs/heavy legs"----a very weird phenomena for sure. It helped me knowing it was normal, and nothing to worry about. Be sure to feel free to ask questions and share your feelings here on the forum---it is a great place to get, and to give, support. :flwrysmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @BigDogMom
Congratulations on getting your shiny new hips, my Both at Once Pal!
I had a bad period before they got my pain cocktail right at the hospital too:sad:...and I made sure I took my meds at home like clockwork so as to stay ahead of it.
Now is the time to just roll with all the weirdness...log legs and the like.
Everything is just trying to settle from all the surgical trauma and thankfully temporary.
Hope your Sunday is chilled!:ice:

brookeo

Country
Yay! Congrats on your new hips! I had my double on 11/11 so I was right where you are a couple of weeks back! The first week was rough for me but everyone is different! I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and feel great! Hang in there, stay on top of the pain and before you know it you will be on the other side!

leejaa

supremo
Country
Congratulations on your new hips. Remember to take your meds on schedule and ice and elevate a lot, for me this meant most of the time that I was not walking. It really helps with pain and limits any increased swelling which also helps to minimize pain.

OP
OP
BigDogMom

BigDogMom

Country
Hi, I am now just two weeks out. My official 2week dr appointment is on Thursday. Doing better but still have pain, but getting better each day. The most nagging pain is my right butt cheek. I just can’t get comfortable. Does respond to extra Tylenol or Advil and icing eventually.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning @BigDogMom
It's nice to hear from you, thanks for updating.
Having pain or discomfort is certainly considered normal at this point of the healing journey. I'm sure your surgeon will reassure you of that this week. The fact that you're noticing progress is good. I experienced the annoying sensation that felt like I was sitting on a small tennis ball. It took quite some time to ease and sitting for a length of time in general caused discomfort with sitting in the car being the worst. Thankfully all of these annoyances are only temporary. This recovery takes time and patience. You're doing well!

Wishing you a happy Tuesday and the best of luck at your appt on Thursday.
Please let us know how it goes.

Debru4

graduate
Country
I had the same issue that @Layla described----the tennis ball sensation. I bought a couple of special foam and air pillows, and to be honest, I ended up returning both. Neither seemed to help me in the exact location of the pain. It was in a very unexpected spot for me, and while I spent a lot of time sitting, I also struggled to get comfortable.

Ice and the pillows I already had on hand from before my surgery did help some, as did acetaminophen. But the thing that helped the most was just time. Gradually that bottom pain when sitting started to lessen (and other pains developed:heehee:) but eventually, within a few weeks, I was in much better shape. So as frustrating as it currently feels, just know that it is perfectly normal, and will most likely improve:)

jenTjenT

Country
Can I ask how mobile you are after 2 weeks? I'm having both of my hips replaced 12/20 and I have 2 kids at home 12 and 14 years old. I'm curious how much they're going to be helping me, both initially and two weeks later when they return to school. Thank you!

OP
OP
BigDogMom

BigDogMom

Country
Can I ask how mobile you are after 2 weeks? I'm having both of my hips replaced 12/20 and I have 2 kids at home 12 and 14 years old. I'm curious how much they're going to be helping me, both initially and two weeks later when they return to school. Thank you!
Hi. I am two weeks out, and I have started using just a cane. The walker was essential the first week and a half. I have to say that I am feeling much more human today. I have been told by other “hipsters “ that two weeks is the turning point and I am going with that. I will up date after my appointment on Thursday

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi there. :wowspring:On to a cane...sounds as if you are doing exceptionally well.
I have been told by other “hipsters “ that two weeks is the turning point and I am going with that. I will up date after my appointment on Thursday
:) :-) (: A turning point perhaps, not sure about the turning point.:unsure:

Lots of healing happening, so keep that ice, rest, and slow and steady pace.
Continued healing vibes coming your way.:tada:

jenTjenT

Country
That's fantastic! Two weeks and using a cane, I can definitely do that.
I swear I'm more nervous about the healing process than I am about the surgery.
Thank you!!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You may want to still keep the walker handy. If you get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break it gives you a bit more stability and it's good to have handy if you get tired towards the end of the day and start limping.
:banana-santa:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Thursday!
You're doing well. I will look forward to your update later today. I'll bet your surgeon will be pleased with your progress.
Wishing you all the best at your post op. :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@BigDogMom

OP
OP
BigDogMom

BigDogMom

Country
Hi,
Had My 2 week follow up today and the doctors office is very pleased with my progress. I do have to say that the past 3 days have been much better than the first weeks. The pain that I am experiencing is to be expected. The pain in the right butt cheek is due to trochanter iliotibial band being agravated during surgery, not too unusual. Had X-ray to confirm everything is good and it is!
I am using a cane but as Elf1said, I am keeping my walker by my bed if I need it for those nighttime runs. I do find that if I am tired it helps.

to jentjent, I will post my thoughts on my experiences during the first two weeks, it might help aleve your worry tomorrow.

feeling more human again

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Way to go @BigDogMom you are healing up well. It sure takes a lot of patience, doesn't it?
I was told the same thing about that trochanter area. You sound like you are coping and healing well. That is so wonderful!!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Glad to to hear your follow up went well. Those first weeks can be trying but sounds like you might be coming out on the other side. Just continue to take things slow and steady and ice/elevate when needed.
:banana-santa:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
WaterLily
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom