THR New hippie lady is home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakviewneighbor

Country
United States United States
Hi folks, Talk about being so thankful to be home. If I could I would kiss the floor. :hysterical::yes 4::dancy::thumb::biggrin::snork: My 4 legged kids were sure happy to see me and let me know with a song and dance. :doggieshmooze:Had some problems and had to say enough with rehab. Anyhow not going to start a pity party on that.

For those getting ready bring yourself a piece of home with you - mine was a cozy blanket, pillow and my favorite snack. My 4 short days turned into 13 :sigh::scratch::cry:I will tell you that piece of home surely was a great comfort.

Still on the tire end so off to :sleepz:.

Welcome home......now the real recovery can begin!!!!

Fantastic that you are home... No place like home that is for sure..

Lots of rest, elevation, ice and keep up the pain meds :)

You are right it is great to be home and sleeping in your own bed.
Take it easy, walk a bit, rest, elevate, ice, meds then do it again.
Look forward to your up dates.

Where there is a will there is a way. Took my first shower in my tub combo shower last night. Took some real thinking to figure out how in the world I was going to do that. Grabbed one of my old canvas belts and used it like the pt guys do to keep you from falling on your face. :yes 4: Hubby put my exercise step inside the tub so I could stand on it once in. I am a little on the short side so need the extra height inside the tub to manage getting in. Hubby hanging on for dear life watch as I grabbed the grab bar moving my good foot on to the step and then grabbing the other grab bar inside the tub and slow getting my bad one over the tub wall. With both now on the step I moved back grabbing the side rail till I was off the step and hubby placed the shower chair in. Best shower in weeks I will tell :yahoo:

First post op visit was yesterday. I got my leg x- rayed. OUCH :arghh: talk about painful :frown: even with pain meds in hour before. The tech kept saying it will only be a few more minutes and I need to check them out before you get up. Meanwhile I am doing my best to stay put. :sigh: Those few minutes seemed like hours. :rolleyespink: Then the tech comes back in and offers to help me up :no2::no2::no2: I said no thanks, manage to slowly get up and go back to the waiting room.

The nurse finally calls me back for another really fun time:wacko: staple removal. You got to love it when you're told it will only hurt for a second. :skeptical::scare: 25 :hate-shocked:24 :hissyfit: 23:cry4: 22:sigh: 21:frown: FASTER PLEASE 20, 19, 18, 17, 16 :gaah:15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 :cry:8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 :rolleyespink: 2, 1 :yahoo:

X-rays look great and leg is only 1/4 inch longer. Not bad :dancy:. The doc sent me for a doppler on my leg. No clots :yahoo::thumb:

Reading this takes me back the April 7th when I made it home. So glad you made it. Just wait 6 weeks and see what happens.

So glad you are home and had your staples out already! Aways feels good to get rid of those staple and be able to move again.

Rest, ice, elevate and meds - then repeat. Update when you feel up to it.

Oh I remember that Xray...holding the weird position they put you in in so difficult and mine had a bit if a problem with her computer so it took even longer. It's great you are doing so well and you have your staples out now

Take care

Ann

Hi Oakview,

So loved your night time routine you posted on someone's thread. Sounds like you really take good care of yourself and reminded me that I need to all of the time. Hope you are coming along well and post when you can. Thanks again for the routine info.

Oh ouch Ann! Darn computers always breaking when you need them to work the most it seems. :tantrum2:

Diane you indeed need to start treating yourself special every day. :happy dance:It's the small things that make you feel like a million bucks. :bathtub::choc::flowerysmile:

Well it's official - I have old man syndrome. :LOL2: I have been meaning to post the last few days but fall :sleepz: reading all the new posts. When I wake up its time for a nap. :hysterical:

My PT guy gave me a useful tip to make heel slides and abduct/adduct easier to do on the bed. Take a plastic grocery bag, put it on the foot and then do them. :yahoo:

Pat

No worries, Pat.....sleep is GOOD for you!!!

A yes, the good old plastic bag it works every time for those heel slides.

Rest is exactly what you need right now, napping is wonderful :)

Things are beginning to look up. I did question whether I had made the right decision on the surgery the first couple of weeks or so. The swelling of my leg is now going down. My knee, calf,ankle and foot was huge, huge, HUGH. I had some areas where the skin opened because of. :eek: Even with thigh high teds and ice every 20 minutes around the clock, little improvement was shown until I came home. :what: The PT gal showed me how to use the hospital bed and pillows with the ankle pumps to get some much needed relief. :dancy: I added in the ice and do pumps twice a day for 20 minutes. My leg still has some swelling, but nothing like it was. The lovely shades of purple are now fading to hues of yellows and greens.

I walked with the PT guy outside with a cane today. :yahoo: I am not completely finished with the walker yet, but it is a start. :yes 4:

My leg is still really sore. :gaah: It has been 24 day. :cry4:

I got another increase to my warfarin today. I am now at 7mg. I have another doppler on the first. If all goes well with the doppler, my doctor will take me off it. Okay :prayer1:. I am so tired of the gas :eeew: you get with this stuff. I know, I know clots or stinky - what your option :hate-shocked:.

Well done on getting control of the swelling. That can be a real tough one! Easy does it transitioning from walker to cane. Slow and steady. Fingers crossed for you on the blood thinners - I hated those things!

Hi Pat,

So glad to hear you are having some positive movement in your recovery. I am a very slow healer and this recovery takes as long as it takes so the more you can relax and go with it the better. Things will come in time. Sometimes I think we have to go through this to learn the P word (patience). Hang in there.

Hi Pat

Good to hear you are making forward progress. Recovery is not easy and there seems to be little setbacks all along the way.

Hang in there it will get better and as Diane mentioned our lesson seems to be able to learn patience xx

Pretty much took the day off from PT. :secretaea:Took my morning walk. I am up to 1 3/4 block with my walker now. :biggrin: Keeping it to a slow steady rate like last year. It took a year to get back on my feet after neck surgery. So the big key is patience and perseverance to get my gait proper again. It maybe several weeks before I don't have to use a walker, but that's okay.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement :happy dance:

You are doing great! Things will come ... that P word is certainly the case with the hip replacement recovery. I know I get short on that from time to time, so it's a good reminder.

Keep up the great work.

Dorothy

Slow and steady - that's the ticket! You are doing great! Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bonehenge
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom