THR New Hip was the best Christmas present

DinVegas

Country
United States United States
I had my second hip replacement on December 17 and am happy to report I am feeling pretty great. It was different from my first, in that the drugs made me more loopy and I had to request additional medication for break through pain prior to leaving the hospital. I could not imagine driving home in the pain I was in.

Once home my recovery was fantastic. I ditched my walker by day 4 or 5 and started using a cane. The over all body pain caused by my hip was gone. I had been experiencing back pain and shoulder pain from relying on a cane but now I'm pretty much using the cane for security. I've been able to use only Tylenol during that day and my heavier pain medicine at night. I am really hoping that this trend continues. I got a bit cocky and didn't ice as much as I should for a few days and can feel the impact of that - so I'm back to icing.

My doctor believes that walking is the best therapy so I'm getting some steps in. The doctor's office will give me some stretches to do after my six week check up. They are having me come in at four weeks because my other hip implant slipped a bit and they are being cautious.

My outlook for 2020 feels fantastic. I've experienced so much pain in the last few years due to bad knees and hips. The prospect of moving without pain is amazing to me.

@DinVegas
:welome: to the other side, Again!!

Here's your copy of Hip Recovery Guidelines for your second THR, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Good news! You sound so positive and are enjoying your recovery. Happy New Year!
I think many of us have high hopes for it. :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

I may have joined the ODIC in the last few days. It doesn’t seem like I did that much but my right leg hurts to walk on. I’ve doubled up on icing and although I had put away my walker - I just pulled it out again. I feel more balanced using the walker than my cane. I’m able to take some of the weight off of my leg.

Although I’m hurting I remind myself that I’m in less pain then before my surgery and that my left hip feels great. So I just have to remember it takes time to heal.

At less than 3 weeks it doesn't take much for a setback. Heck at that point some days are just going to be a setback no matter what you do. Just take it slow and easy and :ice: :ice: :ice:

Although I’m hurting I remind myself that I’m in less pain then before my surgery and that my left hip feels great.
Ain't it amazing!! Something to be grateful for every day.

So I just have to remember it takes time to heal.
Rx: repeat this every 4 hours. :heehee:

Sounds like you know what to do when you go overboard a bit. Rest, ice, try again another day - perhaps a notch down. Stay sensible. You'll get there before you know it. Happy healing. :thumb:

Hello @DinVegas Happy you can see glimmers of your stable hip in the not distant future. A week or so behind you, so I know how easy it is to overdo it. Tried cane yesterday and while I can do it, my walker will be there for awhile longer. The hand pain is real. I ice my forearm and palm while I ice my hip. It does help. You have been through a number of surgeries so I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know.

Congratulations on your new hip. Hope it brings you pain free days in 2020.

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. Please leave an update, we'd love to read of your progress.
Have a great rest of the week!
@DinVegas

My one month anniversary slipped right by me. I'm recovering well, I think much better than with my first hip replacement. I still sometimes over work my leg and have to step back and restrict some movements. The PA at my doctor's office has been great to talk to. I explained what was hurting and where exactly and she told me it was just my muscles reacting to new movement; take it slower and gave me some tramadol for those days that offer more of a challenge.
I'm still using my cane in public, partially so people may be a bit more alert and not bump into me. At home I keep losing my cane and having to hunt it down.

I've planned a hiking trip to Sedona in May. It was something I wanted to do with my husband before all of my joints starting to fail. We'll keep to the easier trails but I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Wonderful update! It's crazy isn't it? How our 2 hips heal so differently?
Smart girl for using the cane in public.
And congrats for taking things cautiously and slowly.. It pays off in the long run. Your hiking plans sound lovely, I was hiking in the foothills and canyons in Co Springs earlier this month. Had no issues whatsoever.. I was just over 6 months and had a harder time with this recent right hip,

I think you will do just fine. Especially since you know to pace yourself.

Well it's a special day for Lefty. Two Months already! I hope you continue to do well. I'll bet you're looking forward to you trip in May with two new hips and no more hip pain.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@DinVegas

Happy Four Month Anniversary.
I hope your recovery is going smoothly. With any luck your trip is still on?
Be safe and stay well!
@DinVegas

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back