THR New hip pain week 2 after THR

Hipster21

Country
United States United States
I was doing so great! In the first week I went off pain meds after 3rd day and was walking without any pain. I even walked a bit without the walker around the house and stood in the shower. Day 8 I am feeling the pain. It’s like a bunch of rocks in my hip. I am resting it like crazy now and it’s day 4 and still no relief.
Any suggestions? I ice it about 7 times a day. The swelling is almost gone but I still have the pain. I hope I didn’t mess it up

I'm not an adviser on Bonesmart, but I have experience in that I had a right THR on March 23 and a left THR on June 27. I was on pain meds a bit longer than you were. I did not try to walk without the walker for a considerable length of time. I think sometimes hipsters push too hard to to make progress. I did not push myself. I walked around the house with my walker. I still use my shower seat to take a shower because it is more comfortable. I stand up to rinse and dry off and am comfortable doing so. You really don't need to impress anyone by trying to make great forward strides. I suggest that you continue to take it easy, walking around the house regularly. Layla posted guidelines and articles to read on my recovery thread, "And now the healing begins." If you read the materials, I think you will find them very helpful. They were of immense help to me.

I'll check in on your thread occasionally to see how your are doing. I wish you the best.

Hello, @Hipster21 Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome:
Two weeks is very early stages into recovery. You don’t need to push increasing the activity. Walking and not to excess is the only exercise your hip needs. Walking to the bathroom or to the kitchen counts as exercise. There are no medals for getting rid of your assistive devices too early. Usually if you are doing too much, too soon you are rewarded with a sore, cranky hip. As you are discovering, your hip is in charge of the recovery.

Every person and every hip has a different recovery timeline. Many times we have the impression that we should be back to doing everything in a few weeks and the only way to get there is by “training.” Those tissues have been severely traumatized during surgery even though it was planned and controlled trauma. They need time to heal. You’re only two weeks into a recovery that can take up to a year or beyond to complete. The best thing you can do is slow down and exercise your patience muscle. That is one of the hardest things to do in recovery.

Are you icing for 45-60 minutes at a time making sure to have a towel or cloth between the ice and your skin? Are you taking something for the pain at regular intervals when you have pain? It doesn’t have to be narcotics. Tylenol can be helpful. Most likely you’ve just over done and with continued rest and icing, you should start feeling better. Then be careful not to repeat the cycle. LOL. Be kind to yourself and give that hip the TLC is needs right now for good healing. It is just a short time in the scheme of things but the reward is so worth it. Keep us posted.

Also, please leave us the date of your surgery and which hip and we will create a signature for you. This helps us to better advise you on your recovery.

@Hipster21 I will also leave these guidelines for you as a reference. They contain many helpful tips to cover many of the common issues in recovery.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogelthrough BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

My guess, you didn't mess it up you just overdidit. How long do you ice for?, most don't ice long enough to get the full benefit of icing. The recovery from a THR is interesting to say the least. We get to feeling good and so we think we're recovered more than we really are, so we do more than we should. That's when we join the ODIC and are forced because of the pain to do what we should have been doing in resting and icing. The real trick is if we learn, which most of us don't so we repeat the whole thing.

I ice it about 7 times a day.
For how long each icing session, as Eman questioned above?
Following surgery ice is frequently used as a means to minimize pain and swelling resulting from the surgical trauma. Following injury, patients are commonly advised to ice no longer than 20-25 minutes several times a day. But with a surgical incision, it is perfectly fine to ice your wound as often as is comfortable for you, providing you place fabric between your bare skin and the ice source. A small towel is ideal for added protection. This is why the ice machines have pads that don't get quite as cold as an actual ice pack. Icing is an excellent means to control pain following surgery and each individual needs to find out what schedule works best for them.

I hope I didn’t mess it up
This makes me question whether you did something that you feel has resulted in increased discomfort or pain. Any new exercises, therapy or activity that you think may be causing an increase in pain? If you're engaging in PT, I suggest you step back until the pain eases. Also, if you are attending PT sessions, would you mind sharing the exercises you're doing and the amount of reps? We my be able to advise better with more information.

Counting back, I estimated your surgery date for your signature. If it's wrong please let us know and we'll edit accordingly. Also, which hip was replaced?

I hope the pain eases and you're feeling better soon! :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dicky hip
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom