THR New hip new life recovery thread

It's been 9 days and here's what's new.
  • I am thrilled that getting in and out of bed is so much easier, as that was painful the first several days
  • We have had very good friends visiting for a few days. The laughter and companionship has been a great distraction and it has helped my recovery.
  • Eating not-so-great-for-healing foods on Super Bowl Sunday was fun but it's good to get back to healthy eating.
  • I can't wait to be done with compression stockings! Necessary but uncomfortable things.
  • I still need the walker but feel like it won't be much longer until I progress to a cane.
  • I am very glad that I was physically fit and strong before the surgery because it is aiding my recovery.
  • The hardest things remains changing positions. Sitting to standing. Lying to sitting. Standing to sitting. I find that cursing helps :heehee:

That last sentence made me laugh. I did plenty of cursing the first week. Early days but sounds like you are coping well and your husband is a Star too!

Hopefully the horrible pre-op pain is behind you now and your muscles are healing albeit with some protesting!

:) Yes for struggling to change positions and yes to always dropping things.:unsure:
I sometimes decided I just didn't really need what I dropped!

So good to hear you have retained your charming sense of humor.
It will serve you well as you heal!
All temporary, @clara4fun :tada:

You sound very well; I agree your sense of humor and cursing will keep you moving forward! :happydance:

Hi Clara :hi:
You're doing great at nine days post op.
Keep up the good work.
I hope you have a wonderful week as you continue healing.
@clara4fun

You’re doing so well! And it’s good you are still using your walker. I was able to switch from walker to cane around 12 days, but then I went back to the walker when I realized how much better I could walk with it - I was afraid of developing some bad habits.
Keep up the cursing!

Don’t do what I did and drop your iPod mini on the floor and try to grab with the grabber. It was communicating with my via my Bluetooth headphones and changing tracks at will. Impossible to pick up and I scratched it badly. 2am and the nurses were wondering why I was laughing.

Also wet soap impossible to pick up too although brilliant at picking up dropped pills.

Glad those days are behind me!

Today was difficult. Yesterday, Day 10, I graduated from the walker and worked hard on my "exercises." Today I feel like I got run over by a truck and have been emotional, too. I feel like my legs are drastically different lengths and the new hip itself still feels so large and somewhat foreign. I am still hopeful that things will be fine but today was a reminder that patience is required.

Hi, :hi:
I'm sorry you're having a rough day. It will pass. I remember having a few myself, thankfully they're most often fleeting. Please read the article on Post Op Blues again -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

It does feel like one leg is longer than the other initially. It is only temporary, remind yourself of that.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/

I'm wondering what you mean by "worked hard on my exercises"? Exactly which exercises are you doing, if you don't mind sharing? You may need to scale back, or eliminate some temporarily if they're hurting you or wearing you out. Please take any meds on schedule and ice any / all areas that hurt for no less than 40-60 mins, several times per day.
Wishing you comfort and a brighter day tomorrow :SUNsmile:
@clara4fun

@clara4fun
Don't be so hard on yourself. 10 days is still very early and being emotional seems to be par for the course. Many of us have had that problem. Luckily mine didn't last long and as I have said on a previous post somewhere a bar of chocolate helped mine go away :)
After each of my hip ops I think the 'foreign' feeling went on for about a month. Initially when I was sitting down it felt as if I was sitting on a book or something similar but that feeling doesn't last.
I found from about 3 weeks onwards my improvements were quite noticeable so hopefully you will be on the up soon.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is day 13 or 14 - - do we count surgery date? Anyhow, this morning I noticed that the hip itself feels like it is becoming more incorporated into my body. I still feel uneven, and the new hip still feels foreign buut overall, there seems to be improvement.
I have taken the weekend to give myself more recovery from the overdo I inflicted upon myself last week. I think it has helped. I still don't use the walker to ambulate, but keep it handy to go from sitting to standing.
Tuesday is my 2 week appointment with OS, and will include removing the staples I hope.
From time to time I get cabin fever, but I have not been willing to even go for a car ride. I feel too vulnerable to mishap (bumps in the road, other drivers) to succumb to the desire to get out of the house. So unless I feel dramatically different in a couple of days, a surgeon approval to drive a car again will still be viewed as something I can wait on until I feel differently. And that's okay.
Before my surgery I was very into exercise, my drugs of choice lol being Orangetheory and Bikram yoga. I had to make numerous modifications due to my hip problems, but the workouts were important to me, especially in terms of my mental health. I expected to be jonesing for it by now, but my hip and other body parts are telling me that it can definitely wait until the time is right. So it's been a nice surprise that I haven't gone crazy not having my workouts.
It's kind of funny to me that the precautions are so easy to honor, because my body has told me oh hell no way would I want to cross my legs or move in certain ways.
I will say once again that I can't wait to ditch these compression stockings!
Have a good Sunday all.

All good and it will get better. Your body and brain are working together to let you know what you can and can't do - for now… But just imagine 6 months time and a year's time. You will get there!

I feel you...those TEDS:blackcloud:
Sounds like you have got this figured.
Have a good week.
Onward @clara4fun !

Very positive report Clara! I appreciate it's not all roses for you but you seem in a really good place :)

Is it warm enough where you are to sit on the porch for little bit of "cabin fever cure"?

I didn't count the day of surgery as Day One, but some may?
It's good you're feeling your body adjust to your new hip. The LLD sensation should slowly fade.
Trial and error helps you learn to balance over-activity with rest.

Wishing you the best at your two week post op. I think getting out to go to the appt. will do you good.
I believe getting out and feeling like part of the world again will give you the confidence to venture out and smell the roses with some regularity. Those breaks are important for our mental health.

It sounds as though you're in tune with your body and are taking its cues in regard to activity.
The compression socks are evil, lol. With any luck you'll get the green light to get rid of them on Tuesday.
Bonfire anyone? Burn them. :heehee:
@clara4fun

Oh yes, @Carriemay60 I live in Florida and although it was rainy today I sat poolside on the lanai and the fresh air helped

LLD @Layla means what? Something to do with the foreign object feeling I have?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts