THR New Hip, New Chapter... Bring IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nmay51. I love your new picture! Is that you? I wish I had a pool I could use! There is an indoor pool at the gym but I hate indoor pools! Especially the one at the gym. There is no shallow end, you just climb down a ladder or jump in and swim. I'd like to do what you are doing, walk across the pool. The weather here has be terrible! It's actually cool. Not at all like summer! We only had one hot week and that was right after our surgery. I didn't get to be outside much that week. At my 2 1/2 week post-op appt. my OS told me to hold off on baths or swimming so I'm not even sure if I'm cleared to do that yet. I go back to see him next Wednesday. I'm glad you're ok with taking things a bit easy. I find that I need to do that as well. Even tho I feel really good I can tell that my stamina hasn't come back yet. I get tired faster! Ha!!! Maybe it's just old age setting in? :yikes: :yikes: :hissy:

nmay51 I tried clicking on your recovery link but it says something went wrong. It doesn't take me to the page just shows that error message.." ooopsss...something went wrong":sorry:

sandpiper I read somewhere that it was not a good idea to climb down one of the pool ladders until 3 months post -op. Don't think this applies to anterior approaches, and can't recall whether you had one, so thought I should pass it on.

LeeApril26. Thanks for the tip! I had the mini posterior approach so no ladder for me!

nmay51 still not working. This is what it says

Knee Replacement Hip Replacement Find a ClinicPatient Forum
Memberlist
Search
Help & Info
Library
Knee Replacement
Hip Replacement
Social

Home
Forums

Knee & Hip Replacement Patient Forum - Oops, something went wrong!
The requested search could not be found.

Home
Forums

Day 38 Post Op,

Today was fabulous, but exhausting. I worked showing property today. I showed 4 ocean front condos. I did so well! On a normal busy day, I could show so much more, but I gave myself a two hour window before my body needed to rest. It felt good getting back to what I do. I also did other work via computer and phone. Then, dinner out followed by restful night. I hope I can stay awake until it's dark outside. :yawn: :thud:

I didn't get a chance to make it into the pool today. I think I did enough walking today.

Nancy

Day 39 Post Op and I went to the gym! I'm so excited about that!!! :happydance: I hated walking into the gym with a cane, but I did it anyway. I even took the elevator instead of the stairs. Especially after my work out, I didn't want to risk being a Gumby, and falling. It felt so amazing and I've missed it so much. I went very slowly and didn't push myself. I did 15 minutes on the eliptical, 15 minutes on the stationary bike, and 30 minutes walking on the treadmill. I then came home and stretched out in the pool. I feel so good. I think my muscles need to get their strength back before I start feeling better. I think that's the key to my recovery. I'll do it very slowly but consistently.

I also got a contract for a house I listed last Thursday. So very grateful for that!!!

BONUS, I got a date tonight with two very special friends (6 & 2) to see Planes 3D. I'm having the best day ever!!!

Tomorrow I'm going to my first post op Bikram Yoga class. I'm not expecting much, but I hope I stay in the class for the full 90 minutes.

Happy Friday friends!!

Nancy

nmay51 what an awesome day you had!!! Now tomorrow rest a bit! Ha! I'm excited for you having a house go under contract!! I believe I would love being an agent. I love meeting new people, love seeing homes.... I watch all those property virgin , live it it list it shows!! I also love crunching numbers and paperwork! Wonder if I could look into a career change. Am I too old?? I am feeling more and more that going back to 11 1/2 hr work days is going to be the death of me! Any advice on how to even get started? My dream is to eventually retire in FL and at least that would be a job I could likely find anywhere I live. What do you think?

sandpiper, REST?! I'm getting ready to go to my first post op Bikram Yoga class today at 10:00. The owner is teaching and she had both hips replaced one in April and one in June on this year. She will take good care of me. I just want to live through the class.

On the real estate front. I love it most of the time. I was in the airline industry for 13 years and that was my passion, however the airline industry is so unstable that I decided to move to something more stable. Real estate was awesome when I first got into it. It was like shooting fish in a barrel (2003). Then the bubble burst and times got hard for everyone. It was definitely a new industry at that point. Now, I think the abundance of houses have been absorbed and we are getting back to some kind of normal.

In real estate you have to be able to go about 6 months without an income, once you get your license and your working in the business. You also have to be able to pay all your fees, start up expenses, and purchase all your tools. I've been in the business for about 10 years. The average person stays in their home about 7 years. I'm now working on my customers who are buying their second homes with me and listing the homes I've help them find.

You can work as much or as little as you want, but it's never a regular work week. I work 24-7, but since my fall, I making me a priority. I consider my priorities an "appointment" when a customer needs something. I honor my personal appointments. I did my share of taxiing customers around for days with no deal at the end. I took strangers in my car, into vacant homes, into my office late at night. I took some crazy risks, for the deal. I don't do that anymore. I work smarter, not harder. My fall 1 1/2 years ago was because I was helping a schmuck paint his house to help it sell. He had ME up the 10' extension ladder while he was supposed to be holding it stable. He walked away to respond to a text. I'm to blame for doing it, and I won't do it again. I'm no longer the ultimate people pleaser.

My advice to you is to take look into the schools in your area. See what class schedule works for you. I did the one month class, and took my State test around three weeks after the class ended. My license was hung immediately, but I needed the income. I took the class during my unemployment period, so I was still getting paid.

I say all this based on my knowledge within the Brevard County, FL knowledge that I have. Every county is different, every state is different. Don't hesitate to ask me questions, I just don't want to give you more information than you're ready to digest.

BTW...Florida real estate in the summer is HOT. You never cool off when showing property. Your distance from one house to the next is short, and if the houses are vacant it's usually not air conditioned. Especially if they are short sales, or foreclosures. In the winter, it's paradise.

Well, I'm off to my yoga..... I will check in with you later sweet hippie twin!

Nancy

nmay51 You know, Nancy, it's amazing how much you and I have in common! Several years ago I was very seriously considering applying for a position as a flight attendant. I have a friend who worked for USAir at the time and she is older than me! I decided against it only because I'd have had to relocate since I live more than an He. From Philly airport. I had just bought the house I now live in. I absolutely love to fly!
I am so happy to hear that you are being cautious these days! I can't believe that JERK let you climb the ladder! Helping him out cost you a hip! But things happen for a reason. Not always sure what the reason is tho! Ha!
Thank you for the info regarding real estate! I'm really thinking I'd like to give it a shot!!!! I need to stop working the crazy hrs I work. At least with real estate I believe I could have a little flexibility. I think I'd live it actually! Any advice/help you are willing to send my way would be greatly appreciated!!! :bow:

nmay51 Oh!!! P.S...... How did the yoga go??? What did she have you do? It must have been modified I assume?

Day 42 Post Op - It's been a busy weekend. I came onto BS to check up on everyone, but via my IPhone and not enough time for an update. @ Sandpiper - In the airline industry a flight attendant was about the only thing I didn't do. My ex worked crazy hours and I needed to be there for the kids. I thought about it once I was divorced, but real estate happened instead. I still love the industry, but now I get to enjoy the travel, instead of work while people travel. A really good friend of mine has a condo in St Thomas from 9/17 - 9/22. She asked me to join her. All I need to do is buy a ticket. I have a Closing is scheduled for 9/23 and being away is not very responsible, so.... I think I have to stay put, this time. I have a serious case of wanderlust, I just want to go anywhere!!! I will travel back to MA from 8/22-8/29 but that's to take care of my parents' home and possessions and get it ready to sell. Not fun, but necessary and if I know my sisters, they will have some fun thrown in, as well.

sandpiper, The homeowner that I helped was a jerk, but not because of the ladder. I chose to climb the ladder. He was just a jerk because that's the way he wants to be. :headbang: I'm done with him and I sold both of his houses after my fall.

As far as real estate goes, I'll personal message you with some information. We'll see if we can get you moving in a forward direction.:friends:

And most exciting.... I went to Bikram Yoga on Saturday. 90 minutes, 106 degree heat, 38% humidity. My instructor had me use a chair for the floor series. I did most everything modified. The heat in the room loosens up my muscles nicely, and allows for a really good stretch. The sweat dripping from my body detoxed the medication from my system and the open eye meditation gave me some much needed mental stillness. I didn't like using the chair, but I liked being back to my most favorite place except for my road bike. I could have cried!!! I went back today and didn't used the chair. I did most things modified, but my muscles are feeling stronger already. The stronger my muscles get, the less stress I'm putting on my hip joint, just like pre op. I noticed that some postures, I can do better than I could do them before surgery. That put a smile on my face!:yay:

Sunday morning my daughter, Kelly and I went for a very short walk on the beach. I went maybe 15 minutes in each direction, very, very slowly and just let the sun hit my skin, and the water wash over my feet. I breathed in the salty air deep into my lungs. I felt like I was waking up from a long sleep. The rest of Sunday was a hooky day for me. I spent it with Kelly, in the pool for a bit, then we went to the port to watch the cruise ships depart while sitting at a restaurant with an adult beverage or two, and a couple of appetizers. We then watched a movie as a family and ate Chinese food. This was my most favorite day that I can remember... and the first day that I haven't felt or remembered that I'm recovering from THR. I know that this is just the beginning of more great days to come!:yes!: I love endorphins...

Nancy

life is good 5.jpg
What a great report, Nancy!!!! You have a lot more days like these to look forward to now. It's just going to keep getting better and better :egypdance:

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Hi nmay51! Love the picture! Just bopped in to see how everyone is doing. Good to see you are doing well and so is sandpiper and you guys are getting on just as well as before! I will post a brieif update on my thread. Keep up the good work. Tell me what is the difference between Bikram yoga and other yoga?

Shadow09, I'm so excited to hear from you!!!!:yay: :happydance: :yes!: I've missed keeping up with you. I'll hop over to your thread when I'm done here. Bikram Yoga is the same 26 postures, and two breathing exercises in 105 degree heat with 40% humidity for 90 minutes. A standing series, and a lying down series. The theory is the heat loosens up the muscles to help you get into a deeper pose, safely. It did wonders for me during my rehab for my knee, my shoulder and it help to prepare me for the THR. I'm hopeful and very optimistic that it will get me back to an healthy, active lifestyle. Now to hop over and catch up with you! :friends:

Hi Bone Smart Friends! Yesterday was Post op day 45 for me, and I honored the day the best way I could. I introduced my new hip to spin class. I spoke to the instructor and told her I would be doing my own thing during class. I told her why, and she told me to do my own thing for sure. I hate the distractions in the gym of everyone doing things around me. I love being in a class where everyone is facing the same way, doing the same basic activity. Far less distracting. I went at my own pace, and loved every minute of it. I did some standing up, but no jumps. I kept my resistance low (5-8). I was sweaty enough to feel like I got something out of it. I was so happy I could have cried. One step closer to my road bike.:yes!:

Today, my muscles are sore and I took it as a rest day. :)

Tonight is movie night with some friends. We are going to see the Butler. Bonus is the popcorn and beverage.

Happy Friday everyone!!

Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks