THR New hip, new beginning.

Hi guys @GrannyC @Layla
So nice to hear from you both and to remember it’s two years!! Oh my goodness where does time go.

Fab to hear all is well. I was just telling my friend about BS and how it gave me such strength and support through my whole THR journey. I will never forget the kindness I received from so many different people when at times I was struggling and of course even when I wasn’t struggling it was just wonderful to share stories and to know you’re not alone.

So my hip story took a little unfortunate turn a few months ago. I started getting a lot of pain on certain movements and I felt almost as if the pre-op pain had come back. I went back to my surgeon who took an xray and thankfully the implant is fine. However I’ve damaged the tendons that support the hip at the front and back.

Three weeks ago I had a cortisone injection in to the muscle to help relieve the inflammation and now I’m totally pain free again. Hooray, back on track! I have a follow up appointment end of May as I’m not sure where I go from here.

Maybe Layla, you could advise? I’m hoping that strengthening the hip again may help and all of it will settle down?

By the way I’ve no idea whatsoever how I damaged the tendons. My surgeon said ‘it happens’.

Anyway sending hugs across the water to you all

Hi Minnie, it's so nice to hear from you.
I'm sorry to read you were struggling. Thankfully the implant looks stable and the injection
has brought you relief.

I believe tendons can repair themselves, but take a long time doing so. My understanding is that sometimes surgery is necessary if they're torn, to sew the torn ends together. I'm sorry but I wouldn't know how to advise other than to recommend you take it easy until you're feeling like you were pre injury.

Josephine is away from the forum for several days but if you want to try back in a week or so, we could tag her and get her opinion. I'll leave that option up to you.
Otherwise, rest and take it easy until your appt in May and go from there.
Wishing you speedy healing and continued relief. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing. :)
@Minnie15

Hi @Layla thanks for your kind words. I’m very much pain free again so in my head I want to get back in the gym but mindful that I may damage the healing. I’m going to see my physio see what they think. Perhaps some strengthening exercises. Really hope it isn’t surgery again!
It would be interesting to hear if @Josephine had any further advice.
Have a lovely day!

:wave:
Sorry I missed wishing you Happy 2 Year Hipversary.
I was right behind you and still grateful to be rid if that OA pain.
I do hope this is a temporary hiccup and things ease very soon.
Do let us know what physio thinks.
Hope you have a good day!:SUNsmile:

Hi @Minnie15
Josephine has been off the forum for a bit but should return soon...so hope she will have some advice for you .
I'm very grateful to be doing well...can't use my hips for excuse anymore for getting out of anything:)

Hope you have a good day.:SUNsmile:

Wishing you comfort @Minnie15
Jo should be back on the forum within a day or two...I'm guessing.
Hopefully she has some advice for you.
Will look forward to her response.

However I’ve damaged the tendons that support the hip at the front and back. I’ve no idea whatsoever how I damaged the tendons. My surgeon said ‘it happens’.
Can you tell me which tendons you damaged? Or better yet, show me where the pain was

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

Three weeks ago I had a cortisone injection in to the muscle to help relieve the inflammation and now I’m totally pain free again.
The magic mix! Glad it worked for you.

Hi @Josephine thanks for getting in touch. I’ve not been told the exact tendons that are damaged but the pain was (from the grid) around L3F V & W and also L2F V
I never felt pain at the back of my hip but surgeon said possibly damaged the tendons at the back too.
Six weeks on and the injection is still working - no pain still.
Thanks again and hope you’re well.

Hi @Josephine @Layla
Following on from my last post, I wanted some advice on what you may think my next steps with my hip problem will be? Could it be further surgery? I’m yet to have an MRI just an X-ray revealing that all is ok with the hip implant itself.
I am in complete agony with my hip especially at night. The cortisone injection I had in to the muscle has well and truly worn off (think it lasted two months) and although my physio has given me strengthening exercises it’s not getting any better in fact it’s worse now then when I first started with pain in January.
So far I’ve been told, I somehow damaged the tendons supporting the implant.
I have an appointment with my surgeon next week (23rd).
Thank you and I hope you’re both well.

Hi @Minnie15
I do hate to hear you are still suffering so much pain.
Lack of good sleep is So Wearying.:sigh:
So far I’ve been told, I somehow damaged the tendons supporting the implant.
I hope your appointment will bring you definitive answers.
although my physio has given me strengthening exercises it’s not getting any better in fact it’s worse now then when I first started with pain in January.
I do hope you've dropped these now...likely could be aggravating things.
Please do let us know what your doctor determines will help get this resolved.

@Mojo333 thanks for your kind words. Yes it’s very draining and medication for inflammation isn’t touching it :-(
I will indeed report back after my appointment.
Took my little dog for a long walk this morning and it was raining so I wore my wellingtons and could hardly get my socks on and boots off!
So frustrating as last year I’d forgotten I’d even had my THR.

@Minnie15 What kind of "strengthening" exercises were you doing? I would suggest stopping them and letting everything settle. Does icing help?

Hi @Jaycey, things like a glute bridge, also glute bridge with feet raised on something like the height of a sofa (exercises hard to explain!) squeezing ball between my knees when led on floor with knees up, feet flat.
Side leg raise stood up.
Haven’t tried icing, will do. Heat pack has been suggested?

Well all those exercises are certainly not good for a new hip. Your PT has you in training - not in recovery. Bridging is especially hard on a new hip as all your body weight pushes into the hip area. Side leg raise should be saved until you are fully recovered. That glute raise sounds like torture! All these are guaranteed to make you sore.

I would try icing first. Make sure you have a tea towel between your skin and the ice pack for a minimum of 45 minutes.

Please lay off all this exercise until that hip settles. Then just gentle stretches and walking are all a hip needs. All this other exercise is just counter productive.

Thanks @Jaycey but this isn’t a new hip, I had the THR in April 2017? or maybe in the world of hips this is still new?? I’ve been told I’ve damaged the tendons supporting the hip...somehow!

Right - I stand corrected. But the type of exercises you are being asked to do are not hip related at all. They are core stability exercises and very tough to do. I am not sure why a PT would ask you to do these with that diagnosed tear.

Let us know how your appointment goes on the 23rd.

Hi all
Here’s how my appointment went with my surgeon...he’s basically puzzled to why I’m in such pain especially at night as I’m now waking up at least twice a night in complete agony.

Got to have an MRI ..waiting list 4-6 months although he put it as urgent so maybe quicker. Wants to rule out a hernia or anything else really, and they took blood to see if anything untoward gets flagged. In meantime I’m to keep strengthening, and stretching the psoas area and even if in pain this is important just take more pain killers!!

I’m really keen to hear any of your opinions or advice? Thanks

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom