THR New hip - done by a robot!

TheTerrier

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
No, not C3-PO or R2-D2! A Mako, which was obviously aided by the consultant!!! Just stumbled on the forum, wish I’d seen earlier it would have been a great support and resource. Hi! I’m in my mid-40s and had left THR three weeks ago.

I’ve been lucky and had very little pain (not sure if the robot helped this) and am on no pain relief. My two struggles are swelling and sleep. The left leg at back of knee is bruised and swollen but not painful. Sleep is hard. I’m not used to sleeping on my back so am waking a lot. I’m fatigued during the day and have just had a 2 hour nap! Hopefully this will get easier!

Boredom is another issue I’ve tried to overcome. Box sets are the key!!! Anyway glad I’ve found you - I’ll keep reading as this is very helpful.

Have a good weekend!

Congrats! Welcome to BoneSmart and Recovery. Thanks for joining us!
Please leave your surgery date and which hip was replaced to be applied as your signature.

Consider icing for the swelling, if you're not already. It truly helps.
The forum Nurse, Josephine, recommends icing for 40-60 mins each session, several times per day.

Stop back often, we'd love to support you on the journey.
I hope you have a great weekend!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@TheTerrier

Welcome to the other side of surgery. Sounds like you are off to a very good start.

Can you tell me which hip you had replaced and the exact date of your surgery? I'll pop this information in your signature for you.

Unfortunately sleep issues are all a part of this recovery. Read the article Layla left you above. Nap when you can - this will ease with time.

@Eman85 we dont usually need it as apart from this year not often hot.
Dont have ice makers like you do :groan:
Welcome @TheTerrier to Bonesmart.
Am three weeks rthr tomorrow and finally sleeping after using small cushion behind knee and taking morphine though have now dropped that. Also medicate wit co codamol before bed and when i wake about 6 as often go back to sleep till 8.00.
Robot sounds good.... interesting
Good advice on here and part of way i deal with boredom...
:tada:

I can't send Jaycey a direct message but I had my left hip replaced on November 13.

Yes we do have ice in the UK, but might not after Brexit:heehee:

Arrrrgh someone mentioned Brexit!

Good luck with your recovery @TheTerrier try a small pillow under your back when sleeping on it. Took me a while to get used to but got there eventually...

I don’t think it is! It is just my hubby is ranting on about it all the time, even out at dinner last night :)

Stockpiling ice?!

Hope you have a good day!

I will just retire to my “Pied a Terre”’and sulk then xxx

Three weeks now since left hip replacement. Here’s a short update with some positives and not-so positives!

• Pain - never been a problem and I can’t believe it. Hopefully it will remain this way. Perhaps the robot surgery was less intrusive? Or I’m lucky? Not been on any pain relief for a week and to be honest could have stopped after week one.
  • Sleep and fatigue - the biggest challenge for me. Waking several times and needing one or two naps a day. It’s sleeping on back the root of problem. I can feel it getting me down so am working hard on this not to affect me!
  • Swelling - bruising gone but swelling still behind left knee. Icing regularly.
  • Walking- down to one crutch in house. Two outside. Can get up and down steps as normal using handrail. Doing physio regular but not at level I’ve been instructed after looking at advice on forum.
Hopefully I’m on track. One thing I forgot- I’m very bored. Can’t wait to be driving again and can’t wait to find a new box set!

All the best everyone!

Despite the robot surgery and presumably minimally invasive - lucky you - you have still had your hip replaced and your body will prioritise that over anything else so you will be tired!

I binge watched The Crown whilst I was recovering and loved it!

We are both at similar stages of recovery and can relate to boredom but have tried to structure my day with "tasks" like come on here, make/wash up dishes,meditate, do crossword or puzzle, exercises within reason, afternoon rest after walk. In between these have some pleasurable things like visitors and read.
Odd but mostly seems to fill day as can only do slowly but now and again biredom creeps in.
Off to see singing penquins this morning at garden centre ... an adventure getting out this early :heehee:
Good to hear about where you are too so thanks for sharing

@TheTerrier
After the singing penguin stage ..comes... :happyfeet:
It will be a little further down the road...but it will come.
Show and steady wins this race.
Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:

@TheTerrier
Sounds like things are going well in your recovery journey. I was eager to drive too until I started too. Now I'm like hey can you pick me up so you can just drop me off at the door of where we're going. You'll be back up and at em before you know it. Just keep chillin.

No, not C3-PO or R2-D2! A Mako, which was obviously aided by the consultant!!!

@TheTerrier, great to hear that things appear to be going well for you.

Just one thought .. and I could be completely wrong (as technology changes SO fast) these days ... But ... I almost had the Mako surgery ... At the last minute, I met a surgeon who operated "freestyle" who I liked as much as the surgeon who has done thousands of Mako-assisted surgeries.

Here's how Stryker (the company that makes the Mako robot) describes the surgery ....(This is the caption below the illustration of the robot. ) This is Mako, a robotic-arm assisted technology that helps surgeons provide patients with a personalized surgical experience.

In other words, the robotic arm aided the surgeon--not the other way around. The robotic arm was directed by the surgeon, followed the coordinates and information entered by the surgeon based on the CAT scan of your joint ... and occasionally, as I understand things, the robotic arm gets ignored by your surgeon who might notice something strange in the moment that the robot didn't pick up. And it also takes experience to learn how to use the robotic arm well. I've heard various surgeons say using a robot has its own challenges.

Your surgeon operated on you ... with some help by a robot.

Any advice out there on limping? With walking aids - or just using a table or any surface - I’m walking without. But try without and there’s a definite limp. PT says need to work on bottom muscle, which has deteriorated over last few years. Any other advice?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads