BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] New hip 1/7

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Pirate911, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Pirate911

Pirate911 new member

United States United States
    In pre op waiting to go any minute. I'm ready and not ready. I'm ready to have no more hip pain, but know the journey to get there will not be fun. I will update afterwards.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good Luck!
    We'll be here. The journey may surprise you and be more pleasant than you're anticipating.
    Here are the Recovery Guidelines for you to read once you're pain is well managed and you're resting comfortably. Stop by often, we'll be here for support and encouragement.
    You're going to do great!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide to

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looking forward to following your journey! See you on this side soon!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

It will feel so good to have the surgery, and the nasty hip pain behind you! You’re right....it is a journey to go through recovery, and parts of it at first are no fun at all! But I was pleasantly surprised how much better I felt within days to presurgery, and how much more manageable recovery has been than I’d expected! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:Hope pain is managed and you are doing well.
    Glad all is done!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Klassy

Klassy senior

Hi @Pirate911
    I hope surgery went smoothly and you are feeling ok. It’s tough that you needed revision, but it won’t be long now till you are better than ever.

I read your other thread and see you had anterior THR and this will be a posterior revision. I asked my OS when I met him pre op which approach he used. He said always posterior, because that gave him the best view to make sure he achieved a really good fit. I have read that posterior can take longer to heal, and certainly I haven’t got back to living independently and romping round as quickly as some of the people on here, but I think that is a lot down to my scaredy-cat nature. At 29 days I still prefer 1 or even 2 crutches, but I could probably walk with no aids at all if I had confidence, I’m just waiting to feel ready. I haven’t had much pain, never severe. I’ve been more bothered by the discomfort around compression stockings and sleeping and digestion and all that, which you probably know about. And that passes and is a small price to pay. I see you are a youngster and probably thinking ahead to wearing a bikini this summer. You may be encouraged to know that my incision is already hardly noticeable at all (though that may be in part because the surrounding wrinkles provide camouflage:heehee:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Good Morning :SUNsmile:
    Hopefully you had a decent night and were able to sleep.
    Wishing you comfort as you begin healing.
    I hope today is a good one.
    @Pirate911

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

:hi:Hope all went well and pain is well managed.
    You've had quite a journey with this hip!
    Sending healing hugs your way!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Layla

Sending well wishes for a peaceful day and relaxing weekend.
    I hope you're doing well and resting comfortably.
    Leave us an update when you're feeling up to it.
    We'd love to offer support and hear how you're doing.
    Hugs
    @Pirate911

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Pirate911

Pirate911 new member

My left leg hurts so much. Apparently my hip was dislocating all the time. I can't see the light yet. Hopefully soon.

11. Layla

I'm sorry you're struggling. Do you feel you may need your meds adjusted? Please phone the office of your OS tomorrow to speak with a memeber of his care team, if you're feeling undermedicated. Also, don't underestimate the power of ice for both pain and swelling. The forum Nurse, Josephine, recommends icing several times per day for no less than 40-60 minutes each session. I iced almost constantly and found it to be a great comfort.

You've been through a lot with that hip I'm noticing in your signature. Going on 11 yrs of issues soon. Let's hope this is the ultimate repair and that 2019 will be your year.
    Wishing you comfort and perfect healing in the New Year.
    Thanks for the update.
    @Pirate911

12. Klassy

Klassy senior

Ouch, so sorry to hear that. I hope that you can get some help with the pain.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

I am so sorry you are feeling so badly. I had a couple of days where I was at my wits end--will never forget how discouraged and helpless I felt. Mine was related to pain meds, rather than pain, but I suspect everyone on here has had a similar experience, where we felt so low for some reason or another during recovery.

Try to check back in with your doctor and see what they suggest, sooner, rather than later if you still feel like this tomorrow. Keep us posted....take care.

14. Mojo333

I told my doctor that the reason he set my first post-op appointment for ten days out..is so I would quit hating on him by then.:skep:

These first weeks ARE tough..and you have much sympathy.
    You will get through this and I hope today is a much better day.
    Hang in there friend!:console2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

@Mojo333---Your comment reminded me of what a mess I was at the 2-3 day mark. I'm single and a close friend who had a hip replacement and 3 or 4 revisions offered to have me stay with her during the first few days. I accepted, and then proceeded to fall apart due to my issues with medication. That sent me into a tailspin where I was whining, and crying, and complaining. I said that no one had told me how awful I'd feel---that I'd been ripped off, etc.;)
    She was a combination of Ellen, Oprah, and Mother Theresa----magnificant. However, at one point she got a bit impatient with me, and reminded me that when she had all of her surgeries, she was under the stringent posterior restrictions and also was in pain, vomiting, etc. It really stopped me in my fussing tracks....for a second. Then I proceeded to projectile vomit all over the room. Rough start.

By the time I had my follow up with my surgeon, I was a whole new person.....mobile, chipper, positive. Had he seen me originally---oh my!!!:gaah:

• Friendly Friendly x 1