THR New here-with new hip!<

Bless you both! :friends:

I was taking ibuprofen (part of the same group as diclofenac) and firstly, it didn't really help and secondly, the drug I had to take to mitigate the side effects had its own side effects.
I'm glad you have been able to drop the NSAIDS, I'm not a fan.
Healing Mojo coming your way.

Stopping by to say :hi:
Wondering if the meds have kicked in over the past week and your pain is easing?
Sure hope so...Leave an update, we'd love to hear how you're doing at almost three months post op.
Wishing you a great Sunday!
@S00zd

Hello, @Layla and thank you for asking. I'm doing considerably improved, Yay! That new med has made a big difference and in quite a short space of time. The pain has not gone but it is by no means there all the time and is at a level where I can add in some paracetamol and then function well again. I went to visit a local gym on Friday and was very impressed with their knowledge of safe activities for me and what goals we would need to set and how to progress. I will join this coming week. I found a letter in my online records at my GPs that my visit to the surgeon this Tuesday should be the last one and he will discharge me if all well. Feel like I've turned a huge corner.
Happy weekend to you also.:angel:

Happy Sunday :wave: I hope you're having a good one.
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're doing well.
You'll have to update us on your visit with the OS on Tuesday, if you feel like sharing.
I'm happy to read you feel you've turned a corner.
Wishing you a great week!
@S00zd

My hospital visit today was pleasing but not because of the surgeon's ability to communicate! My bone scan showed I have osteopenia rather than osteoporosis so I was absolutely thrilled about that. He wouldn't tell me the actual values or show me a copy(!) and every single question I asked him he told me to discuss with my GP (who hasn't got a copy of the scan result either) but I phoned his secretary and asked her to send a copy to my GP and she said she would. So, I joined the gym this afternoon and will have a little champagne tonight :yay::yes!::cheers:
Thanks for asking, @Layla :angel:

@S00zd glad your news was better than expected! Is osteopenia something that runs in your family? Can it become osteoporosis? Sorry for the questions - it's just new to me.

A bit frustrating the consultant could not have an adult discussion with you. But you did the right thing - get your GP a copy of the results and take your list of questions.

Enjoy your evening! :martini:

Annoying to jump through hoops to get your own medical results / info. How ridiculous.
Good news though. I'm happy for you.
Enjoy the champs! :martini: < Pretend its champagne, not a martini :wink:
@S00zd

Hi, @Jaycey and @Layla. Being a nurse myself, I'm very disappointed with medics generally in the area I have moved to, who seem to work in the "Paternal" school of thought-tell the patient as little as possible, especially the educated women and you won't be threatened out of your Big Doctor Chair! It makes me fume. I haven't even been given copies of my consultations but luckily, I registered for on-line access to them so I can see what is sent to my GP.
Osteopenia is basically when you are not making enough new bone cells and is a risk factor for osteoporosis but youwill not inevitably develop it. Like anaemia is a lack of red blood cells. It can be corrected, probably through diet and lifestyle. My Mother did have osteoporosis but sadly lived a very unhealthy life, always.
I expect to sleep well in a relieved kind of way, tonight! Many thanks for your good wishes x :zzz::sleep:

Hi all-bit of advice please from any long-termers who care to answer! Will or should I ever be able to sit in a position with the soles of my feet together? All my Surgeon had to offer me by way of help last week was not to cross my legs from right to left for the rest of my life, including when lying in bed. Well as I've already woken up in that position a few times and no harm has come to me, I wondered whether he was being a bit over-cautious. Bearing in mind I have no arthritis so will not be limited by that, what should I REALLY avoid for good? At the risk of being a bit personal, that hip is too tight yest to flop properly to the side during intimacy so I'm hoping that will improve. Thanks.

@S00zd - my only restriction was not to jump from heights and I can sit with soles touching.

The surgeon may be cautious but might have a reason for the restrictions - why not ask?

Don’t think arthritis makes any difference as the diseased bone has been removed.

Thanks, @HertsHippy. I'm not due to see my surgeon for another year now and he is both uncommunicative normally and especially now I made a complaint about the ward staff! The reason I said about the arthritis is that I've asked friends who have had THR for that reason and they all say they couldn't do those things before surgery so perhaps they simply haven't tried. I'm normally very supple.

All the stiffness will ease with time. It took awhile to get bad - it will take time to improve. Just keep trying and most important - keep moving.

Hi folks. Here I am again after 4 months has passed by-so in total 9 months since I had the accident but still in pain from my THR. Nobody I know personally who's had it done is still in pain! Can't sleep on the affected scar and lying on the other side is weird because my right (operated) leg feels like a ton weight on the mattress! Anyone else had this experience?
I'm still nowhere near walking at my normal pace, which is infuriating. It is the pain which bothers me though. I can move about very freely but it's the pain which bothers me. Not much let up from it. My GP is useless and the surgeon just grunts at me since I made a complaint about the nursing care so not much joy from either of them. I can't think why it still hurts after 9 months! Any suggestions?

@S00zd I just caught up with your thread. What has changed since your reported improvement in March? What is your activity level now? How often are you in the gym and what is your workout like?

Hi @Jaycey. Overall I'm managing things I wasn't expecting, like a bit of sea swimming and a low-key dance class. Have stopped doing to the gym because we have been more or less rebuilding our house so haven't had the time or energy to spare. But-my stamina is shot, I struggle to lift anything more than a few pound because it gives me hip pain and as I mentioned, I'm not really able to relax in bed. I'm in pain a fair bit of the time but I don't want drugs because that's not addressing the WHY. If I thought it would get better on its own, I'd be happy but 9 months seems a long time. Some have suggested stress as we have been virtually living on a building site since May and it's been awful

Some have suggested stress as we have been virtually living on a building site since May and it's been awful
This coupled with not sleeping well could certainly be the reason you are feeling so drained. I just had some major work done on my house and it was probably one of the most stressful months I have ever experienced.
I struggle to lift anything more than a few pound because it gives me hip pain
I found new hips (and yes it is still new) hate lifting any weight. Build up gradually but do keep trying. For me I suddenly "turned a corner" with lifting or pushing/pulling any weight.

Do you have any lower back issues. Working with a trainer or physio to build core stability was very helpful for me. Engaging your core means you are not stressing any one part of your body.

I also worked with an osteopath to address post op pain after my LTHR. Is there a good physio or osteopath near you?

Hi @S00zd
It's nice to have you back. I can't help but wonder if you've struggled all along due to your higher activity
level. Looking back through your thread refreshed my memory. I recall being concerned early on because you were pretty restless right out of the gate. If you look back to Post 5 when you were only two weeks post op you mentioned you were back to all of your normal chores aside from vacuuming. You also mentioned in the same post that you couldn't really rest much because "it's not your nature". At that point in time, rest was exactly what your body needed. And your body is currently letting you know that it needs rest by you mentioning in your latest Post 96 that your stamina is shot.

You also mentioned in Post 96 that you stopped going to the gym. How long ago..was it only recently? Wondering what low key dance class means to you...what type of dance, how often?
How much sea swimming and how often? Because you're an active person, your "low key" and "a bit of" sea swimming may qualify as overdoing it for many and posssibly it's too much for you at this point in recovery. I'm also wondering if you're physically engaging in your home re-modeling project, bending and lifting things on a regular basis?

When laying on your non op side, have you tried a pillow between your legs, so your op leg doesn't feel as weighty as you described? I'd suggest a body pillow. They are inexpensive and great for using in between legs while falling asleep. There is enough pillow to bend your leg at the knee slightly, making it very comfortable for sleeping. Just a suggestion you may want to consider.

You're right about a good majority not being in pain at 8 months post op. However, that majority most likely didn't engage as heavily and as early on as you did. You're still in recovery, your body is not healed. We're often reminded that full recovery takes up to a year and even longer for some. I understand you don't like icing but it is very effective in relieving pain and it may be helpful if you view it as "medicine", rather than just something you don't like and refuse to do. Please consider it as you try to relax when you're able.

If you're not getting any answers or satisfaction from either your surgeon or GP, possibly it's time you find new doctors you can entrust your care with. We're not getting any younger and you may as well find yourself a good Primary Care Physician now so you (hopefully) have one you trust when you really need him / her.

I'm not a medical professional but my best guest given the history you shared is that you're not recovered, you've engaged too heartily all along and are now dealing with chronic pain as a result of not sitting it out when you should have. It's not too late to make changes. I'd start with dedicated rest, ice, and OTC pain relievers for a time to see if you obtain any relief. I'd stop all exercise, sea swimming, lifting, etc for a several weeks and see if you notice any improvement. If you don't, I'd seek the opinion of a medical professional even if it means finding a new one who will listen and address your issues.

Best wishes for comfort and relief as you move forward.

Thank you both so much. I did see a wonderful private physio so I will definitely consider going back to him and your other helpful suggestions.

Morning! @Layla, I did try sleeping with a pillow between my knees as you described and I have to say I did get much more rest, so thank you for that suggestion.:yes: I had forgotten how great it is to talk to others who understand through personal or professional experience. I know I look back to my usual self to other people but I do play things down because it's not nice to be a constant whinger! Thank you all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom