THR New here-with new hip!<

I would love to hear about your meeting. Well done if changes have already happened!

I haven't heard anyone say they use diclofenac gel or similar for pain relief. Any thoughts?

Our Jo usually says these topical creams just can't reach deep enough to address post op pain. Maybe other members will be along to give you their experience.

Next question! A big problem I have is stiffness at the hips. (I didn't have this pre-op) When I get up in the morning, I can hardly bend my legs enough to sit on the loo. Probably looks comical but luckily I don't have an audience. Really difficult at that time of day. Also when I'm really cold, same thing. This evening, I knelt on the floor to feed our cat and totally struggled to stand up as my hips had gone all stiff again so I nearly lost my balance. Not good! I'm now 10 weeks out. Is this normal/common/weird? What should I do-can I help myself in some way or must I wait for it to stop by itself. Answers on a postcard please.

Hi @S00zd I hope you're having a good week so far.
Because you're talking about stiffness both hips, not just your op hip, I'm wondering if the stiffness has to do with any exercise or new activity you're engaging in?
We can tag Josephine to weigh in if you'd like. Let us know.
Wishing you a peaceful day!

Yes please, @Layla. This is not something new but it started to happen when I abandoned the raised equipment which has now been sent back. You can only have it for a few weeks and of course I have to use normal height chairs and loos when I'm out and about anyway so need to try and get over it it asap. I don't feel the stiffness in my left (good) hip usually, it's only when I first get out of bed and try to use the bathroom. I just can't seem to bend so I'm hanging onto other stuff in the room.

:hi:
@Josephine is likely to ask you some specific questions and I did have both done at once so my experience was somewhat different...but I can say at 2 1/2 months out, this sounds normal to me.
When I get up in the morning, I can hardly bend my legs enough to sit on the loo.
Everything tightens up at night, for sure. Takes a bit of walking and stretching to fire up those still healing muscles and tendons...and squatting with things tight...can be difficult.:sigh:

Really difficult at that time of day.
:yes:

Also when I'm really cold, same thing.

I knelt on the floor to feed our cat and totally struggled to stand up as my hips had gone all stiff again so I nearly lost my balance.

All of things seem to be things that could be a little difficult and might feel worse after a lot of activity the day before.
It does get easier as we get further along in recovery. My quads were super sore and weak so all those activities had to be done slowly and mindfully. I tried not to get down on the floor this early out.

Hope you are still icing as it is a great anti-inflammatory.:ice:

Sounds fairly normal. I still took paracetamol during that period as it helped with the stiffness and internal swelling which can still happen later into recovery. It is getting better though.

I had 2 hip replacements last year and this sounds fairly normal to me too. You are only 10 weeks post op too so its still very early days.

When I get out of bed in the morning I always stand for a few seconds to get myself acclimatised. The cold weather does make a difference too.

@SurreyGirl went on holiday early this year (lucky her) to a warm country and I am sure she said she found the warmth helped her.

Luckily I bought my own raised toilet seat and wasn't in any rush to remove it but as you have said you need to use 'normal' toilets if you go out anyway. If you get the choice I would try using the disabled toilets when you are out. I have been doing this and it has given me more confidence.

I was allowed to keep the raised toilet seat as long as I liked. We only returned it (disinfected) to the NHS last weekend. I hated it but it was useful.

Happy Thursday, @S00zd
I see Mojo tagged Josephine for you. I will look forward to Jo's response.
I'm happy to read it's not always both hips as that was a bit confusing.

I suppose that general inactivity for any amount of time in these early weeks / months can result in stiffness.
For some of us the road to THR has progressed over months, even years. I often remind myself that I'm also aging and will never be as limber as I was in years past. I still find it easy to blame everything on my hip while it isn't always my poor hips fault, lol. At my age (62) I often feel stiff upon rising after sitting for a period of time.
Like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz....O-I-L C-A-N :heehee:

I hope today is a good one for you and I'm wishing you a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:

Thanks all
@Layla-I get what you are saying about our age and if this was one of my friends speaking, I would be thinking the same thing but up until this flipping accident I was a right fit bird for any age. I used to gym it several times a week and could run faster than any of my grandchildren, even the ones in their 20s. :heehee:
I do like to hear everybody's comments though because firstly, there's a lot of wisdom out there and secondly, it's very easy to feel alone in all this.

I was a right fit bird for any age. I used to gym it several times a week and could run faster than any of my grandchildren, even the ones in their 20s. :heehee:
I was the same way before my hip fracture. I was very fit. Training to run another marathon, actually. Then the accident happened. I could barely do anything for myself and people around me seemed to expect me to be excited about being able to bathe and dress myself. Yeah... no!

All I can tell you is to hang in there. It does get better and this will all be behind you one day. My hip is almost 9 years old and I never give it a thought. Outside of my family and a few close friends, no one even knows I have an artificial hip.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

I abandoned the raised equipment which has now been sent back. You can only have it for a few weeks
Gosh - I thought the NHS gave everyone new toilet seats - mine came in an unopened box. And I am not sure I would have wanted a used one! I still have my sticks as well. No one asked for anything back. There was a recent story about the NHS not reusing crutches etc and the resulting costs.

Grandchildren in their twenties - wow - I have two children in their twenties......

It is very easy to get down when you are recovering, particularly when there is so much you cannot do and you have to rely on others. It does get better and people with an artificial hip can be just as fit and mobile as those without. At my gym there are quite a few prosthetics in some very very fit people including instructors. I am, however, finding that recovery is taking much longer than I want although I am making steady progress - my physio also pointed out that it takes longer to heal at our age. I can comfortably walk long distances (15+ miles) and regularly go to classes at the gym - moved onto Body Pump today, yet it is still work in progress - various aches and twinges with some stiffness but it is getting better.

And regrettably Layla is right - we are getting older and although we may not like it we may not be able to continue to do the things we could in the past. I think it is better to think about what you can do rather than what you can't. Foe example I love skiing but know I cannot do what I did on the past but being positive I hope to be able to be doing black runs for a few years to come.

I suspect you are also finding it much harder because it was all so sudden - most of us were in considerable pain for some time before THR. I am sue that you time in the gym will help enormously in your recovery although I suspect you will set yourself very high expectations on recovery times.

I made quite a lot of progress in month 4 and hopefully you will do the same.

Last edited:
I'm very impressed@hertshippy that you can walk 15 miles so soon! Every step still hurts like hell tbh so I can't manage more than about 3 miles at the most. I see you have got the measure of me though! I set myself huge targets in every area of my life-and expect to achieve them without delay :tiredwheel: Note to self: "calm down"
My equipment came with labels on to say give it back in 3 months. I have to say, it did all come shrink-wrapped and new-looking when I got it (though not the crutches) My husband struggled to use the loos WITH the frame and raised seat on-they weren't designed for sturdy men, I don't think!
Thank you @alexthecat for sharing a little of your story

Last edited:
I haven't heard anyone say they use diclofenac gel or similar for pain relief.
Yes, it's rubbish!

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Yes, @Josephine, please ask away. I would value your comments. Thank you

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks