THR New here-with new hip!<

S00zd

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All. Have only just found this forum this afternoon. Having just moved to a seaside town to retire, I tripped over on the promenade on Christmas morning and fractured the neck of my femur. Of all the dreadful times to do that. Not only was no surgeon available to do the total hip replacement necessary for EIGHT days due to the holiday, I was parted from my Husband and cat for 11 days in a strange town hundreds of miles away from the place I know as "home" and all our friends and family. What a miserable time. Anyway, the op was just over 8 weeks ago now and I have long abandoned all walking aids, which is great but pain continues to be a real nuisance. What worries me is that everything I read tells me I shouldn't be in pain by now. I'm wondering if that's because I can find little on the surgery having been done for trauma, as mostly for people of my age (61) it seems to be done for arthritis and not a broken bone.
The pain literally moves from the wound itself, to knee or shin or hip crest without any warning and I'm certainly too tender to sleep on the affected side still. I've never been a fan of painkillers and as opioids got my tummy into trouble before I even had the op, I refused to take them and have just been on intermittent paracetamol and Ibuprofen ever since. There is no sign of inflammation in the scar and no leg or foot swelling. I just think I shouldn't be having anything for pain by now and all the problems of being away from all I held dear due to this move has made me feel rather low and a bit weepy.
Anyone got any wise words? Thank you

@S00zd Welcome to BoneSmart and the other side of surgery.

It is not unusual to have pain 8 weeks out - especially if your surgery was due to a fracture. Have you tried ice and elevation? Have you started doing any new activity lately that might have that hip complaining?

How much paracetamol are you taking each time? Please do be careful of Ibuprofen - lots of side effects.

I'll leave you with a bit of reading. Even though you are 8 weeks out these articles might answer some of your questions.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you Jaycey, I will have a good read of all that. I do know about the relative risks of the analgesia as I've been a nurse all my life and have been prescribed Omeprazole to protect my stomach from the pills. Not that I take many but I've also been prescribed a bisphosphonate prior to my bone density scan on the assumption I do have osteoporosis so bit concerned about my tum too, all things considered!

Hello @S00zd and welcome to BoneSmart.

I too had a THR in December 2014 having slipped picking yogurt up shearing the neck of my femur cleanly. The pain was excruciating and I was initially put in traction for five days before they decided to operate. I must say I had instant relief and only minor discomfort for six weeks following and all was well until my slip/fall in October 2017 when my current troubles began.

I don't know why you are experiencing pain but suggest you take things easy and concentrate on resting only doing small daily activities as necessary, such as making a snack, getting a drink, etc, but NO household chores.

The majority of the people on this forum advocate elevation and ice frequently. I did not have swelling nor great pain so these did not work for me. I also do not like opioids but do believe in 1000,g of Paracetamol every 6 hours for relief if necessary.

I am sure someone will come along with better advice but please take things slow and gentle in the meantime and allow your body to heal itself at it's own pace.

Thank you, @Izabel.
My Husband would think I'd gone mad if I only did such things as making a snack and also I'd go mad with boredom. I've been doing more or less all the normal chores for about 6 weeks now, with the exception of vacuuming. I can't really rest much because firstly that's not my nature and secondly, sitting or lying down is actually very uncomfortable because I have lost weight and my already skinny bottom virtually vanished. The District Nurses gave me a pressure cushion but I can't sit still for long anyway. The irony is that for the first time in my life I do have the ideal opportunity to sit and read my stacks of books or watch tv but I've lost concentration and I can't enjoy them anyway when I'm in constant discomfort from hip and bum.
I appreciate your taking the trouble to advise me. You didn't say what happened following your slip in 2017 and what problems it has left you with? I hope to be able to support here as well, not just moan about my own troubles!

I just noticed I was typing whilst other posts went up I was on Alondrenate (Fosamax) between my knee and Stage 1 Revision hip ops but having read up on them I will not take again although I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis. Instead I take daily Calcium and D3 and eat foods containing the supplements I need. I was on Anastrozol (Arimidex) for four years (2013-2014) for breast cancer and I am positive that caused/contributed to my Osteoporosis. I now prefer to stay clear of nasty drugs.

Edit .. just saw we posted the same time. I lost 55lbs going down to 112lbs through all my problems so I know well about the skinny butt . Pedalling 10 mins a day and quad and glute clenches several times a day have built my muscles up and I don't need a cushion to sit on now ... up to 120lbs. :heehee:

Best read about my current issues, soon to be resolved. :fingersx:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/izabel-walking-for-christmas.45943/

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/izabel-waiting-for-the-new-dawn.50200/

Last edited:
Good grief Izabel! What trials and tribulations you have had! Well done for staying so positive. :wowspring:

@S00zd can you please give us the exact date of your surgery and which hip. We will update your signature for you.

I also had a slip and fall resulting in a partial hip replacement in 2014. I was on crutches with a broken leg at the time. I had to wait 2 days for my surgery while we waited for blood thinners to be out of my system (DVT & PE following leg break) They kept me very dosed up but I still thought that was a long wait. I can't imagine waiting 8 days!! :yikes:

After the hip surgery I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis. Sadly, I never felt great after the hip surgery but I tried to excuse that thinking it was not healing well because I was still only 50% weight bearing for my leg, and had a further femur fracture during surgery. When it never got better, I chased doctors who all told me to deal with it basically until being referred to my current surgeon. He has taken the time to really examine everything and discovered that I am now prosthetic on bone. He is revising it to a full THR in April.

As hard as you'll find this to hear, you really need to give that hip a break from working so hard or you may never feel 100%. Icing and elevating really do help. It may feel like punishment to you but in my opinion it's worth making the investment in your future. Your surgery is really not very different from any hip replacement surgery. Try looking on the recovery boards for people who started their threads in December. Not all recoveries are the same at all but it will give you some idea. @Klassy is one and she has her recovery marked by days.

@S00zd can you please give us the exact date of your surgery and which hip. We will update your signature for you.
@Jaycee it was a right TRH on 2nd Jan 2019

Hi @Carriemay60 thank you for your reply. Both my surgeon and physio have told me to be this active. It's standard practice in the UK. I do find I absolutely size up with stiffness if I sit down for very long. Maybe I need to move frequently but for shorter distances? I'm sorry you have had a rough time and needed revision surgery. I have taken note of the pain relief guidance Jaycee posted and been more regular with it today. I will be sure to read @Klassy's story. Bless you for your help.

Welcome to Bonesmart, I hope you will find it a comfort as I have. What a horrible start to your new retired life, I feel for you.

I think the big difference between a THR due to fracture compared to OA is that the OA sufferers are very happy to be without their pre op pain, and had already endured a period of decreased mobility. We have had time to accept the need for an operation and prepared mentally for the recovery. Which is not to say we don’t do plenty of whining and fretting anyway!, but we can say to ourselves, just remember how bad it was before. Whereas you, I assume, went from a life of pain free activity through a traumatic fall to the restrictions and discomfort of recovery. So you don’t have the consolation that we OA hippies have, and I can imagine the recovery period will feel tougher to endure. I don’t think the actual process of recovery would be very different.

The trouble is that recovery takes time, more for some than others, but I think the majority would still have pain to some extent at 8 weeks. When the estimates are made about how long it takes to recovery, I don’t think whoever writes them gets the full picture of what patients experience. They tick off activities returned to. On that basis you’d be counted as fully recovered: walking with no aids, tick, doing most household tasks, tick. The reality is that full healing takes over a year. Don’t worry, most of the improvements happen much earlier, but at 8 weeks your body is still knitting the muscles, building bone, clearing the bruise and debris away. So it’s not surprising or unusual to have some pain.

The good news is that it won’t be too long before you find yourself turning the corner. I’m at almost 12 weeks out and the improvement I’ve seen in the last week have been amazing. I still have some aching, which like yours moves around to visit various parts of my leg and even the other leg from time to time. I can’t yet lie on my operated side, although the surface scar is very well healed, but I feel it won’t be far away. I’m probably behind you in terms of walking (still take one crutch for any distance) and housework ( husband very helpful and errs on the overprotective side). I think that may be why my pain is low, because when I do step up the activity level I get more discomfort and so back off. I can’t sit for long without getting stiff and sore, but I find lying flat helps, particularly with ice. I do however have a well padded behind, never seen that as a plus, but can now see it has advantages! Anyway I’m wittering on, the point is that you might well be at the stage I was at about a week or two ago, and if so, things will really look up soon. Hang in there, and keep us posted.

Ps your last post came as I was typing. Yes I think more frequent but less intense activity is the way to go.

Being overactive for the past 6 weeks is probably attributing to the pain you're feeling now. Ice is your friend and so is sitting down. If you read most of the recovery threads on here you'll see that pain at 8 weeks is common, also at 12 weeks. I don't know who told you that you would be pain free.

Hi,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
My heart goes out to you in your accident and the loneliness you dealt with as you waited days for your surgery to take place. All very unfortunate. I'm sorry you're feeling down. Stop by whenever you feel the need. As you've noticed there are a lot of great caring people here to offer advice, support and encouragment.

I've been doing more or less all the normal chores for about 6 weeks now, with the exception of vacuuming. I can't really rest much because firstly that's not my nature

In reading your words I concur with each member above who's suggested you've done too much, too soon. I believe that's why you're struggling with at least some of the pain, if not all of it. It may not be in your nature to take it easy but your body is letting you know that you need to.
I saw the following on a sign last year > PAIN IS YOUR BODY ASKING FOR CHANGE. Simple...but it makes sense.

Take a peek at the Activity Progression for THR below - Keep in mind that it's to be used as a rough guideline.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Please allow your body more time to heal from this major surgery and take it slow for the next several weeks. Try icing as mentioned, if you're not already. The forum Nurse recommends icing for 40-60 mins each session. Target 4x daily. Consider phoning your OS to speak with him or a member of his care team about some type of pain management. You need to be able to relax, rest and sit comfortably so you can dig into that pile of books you've been accumulating.

Wishing you comfort and speedy relief from the pain.
I hope the rest of your weekend is peaceful.

Last edited:
@S00zd
Sounds like you are doing too much and your hip is letting you know with stiffness and pain, suggest you listen to your hip. Everyone is different, every recovery is different, there is no one size fits all for an exercise/activity prescription. The activity levels your surgeon and PT have suggested is a one size fits all approach, it is too much for your hip.

Suggest you slow down and let your hip heal, once your hip has healed you can increase your exercise and activity level.

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

What a lovely lot of replies and so helpful! Just been woken at "cat-o'clock", which is 6am and if I don't get up to give her breakfast then, I'm in trouble!
@Klassy, your comments were incredibly reassuring. I was indeed a massive gym bunny before the fall and they did comment in the hospital about how good my upper body strength was, as I could easily move myself about in bed without assistance using my arms to push up on.
@Eman85 , all the literature I have read here (in UK)definitely says the pain should be virtually gone by now and my friend's Husband was back teaching at his dancing school and partnering at 6 weeks! Made me feel very inadequate to hear that. When I saw the physio on Tuesday ( we are provided with 3 10 minute sessions in total), she told me I should go and live a normal life now as though this had not happened but still to take hip dislocation precautions for another month. She said it was probably a struggle for me due to lack of confidence so I need to do more exercises to build my quads and glutes back up.
@Layla, thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, things are a bit difficult in terms of being able to speak to the medical team, There is no set-up for that here and my Consultant is a bit peeved with me as I have put in a formal complaint about the way the ward nurses treated the patients on the Trauma Unit and they are being investigated! He was unprofessional enough to mention it during my post-op Outpatient appointment and my Husband and I were both horrified. Unfortunately for me, I moved house from a large university city with a dedicated orthopaedic hospital to a provincial seaside town with very limited options. Oh for a crystal ball but what's done is done. The other part of that is that we bought a large dilapidated house to do up so that's all due to start early May and I must be fit by then as we are talking major internal and external building work. We already had to stop the re-wiring once the upstairs was done as that co-incided with me coming out of hospital but after a week of it I just couldn't cope with the noise and disruption (and dirt) so they had to postpone the rest till the building starts.
@Pumpkln n, thank you for your thoughts and comments. I am listening to everyone and am grateful for all your efforts :angel::angel:

@SOOzd - sorry to hear about your fall and issues with the hospital. There are very mixed messages about recovery and some of the information on the NHS website appears quite misleading. I am 4 months post op and get varying aches but the are gradually decreasing. My physio said it would take at least 12 months for the muscles to get back to normal as did fitness instructors at my gym who have had THRs. My physio reminded me how brutal the operation was, what the surgeon did to the muscles and also kindly pointed out that at 60 you take longer to recover than you do at 50. I had OA which resulted in muscle atrophy (my right leg became shorter - but surgery sorted that) and the muscles mass declined in the months before surgery so there has been a lot of healing to do.

Your physio sessions sound a bit pathetic - the NHS gave me regular 30 minute sessions until they were happy with my progress at 3.5 months.

As with others here I took it easy in the initial recovery stages but when I was cleared to go to the gym at 6 weeks I stepped it up with low impact exercise included cross trainers and swimming. I have also been doing regular Pilates which I find really helps the muscles your physio mentioned - also instructors are usually familiar with hip issues and ensure that you don't do anything which might damage the hip. I found the exercise really helped (I know some others here would not advocate my approach) and I am now pretty mobile although still aching from time to time.

I was able to sleep on my side after 6 weeks - my bed is quite soft. But I could not comfortably lie on my side on a yoga mat until just over 3 months. Some of these things just take time.

Good luck with your recovery - hopefully you should be fine to work on your renovations in May.

Thanks @HertsHippy. Like everybody else, you have been very encouraging. it really is good to hear your story. I was so much in pain, tired and frankly weepy yesterday but feel a great improvement on all those fronts this morning. Coming here has definitely helped.

Unfortunately for me, I moved house from a large university city with a dedicated orthopaedic hospital to a provincial seaside town with very limited options.
Can you tell me where you are located? I might be able to recommend someone you could see for follow-up if needed. If you don't feel right about post the location on this thread please feel free to PM me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back