New here....TKR soon! Help, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I am 8 months out and I do not regret my decision at all. Don't worry about the pain meds you take them because you need them to keep the pain away. As you progress in your recovery you will find you don't need the pills anymore. Everyone gets the jitters about surgery but once you have the surgery and are on the road to recovery you will know you made the right choice. We are here for you so if you have questions just ask away

Hi
I just noticed your post and that you are a teacher. I am a teacher assistant in elementary school and I had PKR on May 30. I went back to school on Sept. 4 and it was really hard for the first 3-4 weeks. I came home every night and all I could do was to sit and elevate and ice. I just rested on the weekends. I am much better now, but still not perfect. I still have stiffness and discomfort if I do too much in a day. If I could have waited for 4 months instead of 3 before going back to work, that would have been much better. It's just my experience, of course and you could be totally different. Just thought I'd tell you what happened with me. BTW...my surgeon also said that the recuperation was 6-8 weeks. I will see him again in Dec. and I will have a few "bones" to pick with him.

I'm 55, a full time teacher, and really afraid for this surgery. My arthritis doctor said I'll be back in the classroom in 6 - 8 weeks, but what I'm reading here says otherwise!
Quite so, please try and get as much time away as you can, 6-8 weeks is IMO unrealistic.
Im allergic to all anti-inflammatory medications and narcotic medication scares me to death. I'm amazed that some people are on those drugs for months! I'm so afraid I won't be able to manage the pain.
Don't worry about drugs, you will not become addicted. Only people who take drugs for fun become addicted, pain relief doesn't work that way.
I guess my most important question is what can I be doing NOW to help make this surgery and recouperation a better experience? Should I insist on some PT before the surgery?
Not really. Upper body exercise is good, that will be the thing you need most post-op.
I really want to lose some weight beforehand, but......I'm trying, but it's slow.
Good idea, but don't get hung up on it. Fear is worse than the thing itself.
Thank you from a petrified newbie!!
Speaking as THE Biggest Girls Blouse on here, I know how you feel. As soon as the surgery is over, on the Very Day Itself, that awful fear will be gone forever. That alone is enough. Recovery is painful to start with, but not as bad as bone-on-bone. And doing nothing and watching TV is prescribed -- what's to dislike about that?

In recovery don't forget:

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

Hi Dewey, I have surfed around bonesmart for several months now before actually writing anything. There is a wealth of information to be had and a lot of different personal stories to read. I am 57, I've been an RN for 36 years, 23 at my current job. My surgery is Dec. 4 for BTKR. I've had some kind of knee pain for at least 15 yrs off and on but really started going down hill in March of this year. After steroid injections, synvisc before and after arthroscopic surgery in July I was still in a lot of pain. It's been increasingly difficult to keep working my 12 hour shifts, infact ,I can't do it any longer. Unfortunately I was not able to be scheduled for surgery any sooner. At times my mind just starts going crazy with all the what if's, that's when I find comfort in reading everyone's stories and realize I can do this and will be better on the other side. My OS has told me to plan on 4-6 months before going back to work since I am pretty much on my feet most of the shift. I'm hoping for sooner than later, of course. I have to go to a bone/joint class on Friday, I suppose I will get a lot of information there.

Welcome, Dewey!
They won't let you take the anti-infammatories while you are on blood thinners, and they don't help much anyway with the pain. Don't be afraid of the narcotics. They help so much and then you stop taking them. Easy peasy! Best wishes!

Hello, again, and thanks so much for all of the kind words and encouragement....

I saw the surgeon for the first time today. Well, actually, I mostly saw his PA. He was a nice guy that answered all of the questions that I went in with. He probably spent about a half an hour with me. Thanks to this site, I felt like I could ask lots of intelligent questions and understand his answers! (Thanks, again!)

Now, I had been warned that the surgeon was "a man of few words" ahead of time. When he finally came in to meet me, he acted like since all of my questions were answered by his assistant he didn't need to talk with me. He probably said 15 words and was out the door!!!

I am confindent that he does good work (he does knees exclusively - over 300 per year), and I've gotten a number of great recommendations about him from former patients, nurses, and Pt's. He will not, though, be a doctor that will TALK much. I'm trying to tell myself that that doesn't matter, but......

So now I'm just waiting for the scheduler to call and set this up. He will not do both of them at the same time because of my Atrial-Fib, but wants to do them 6 weeks apart. The first one will be done sometime mid-January.

I'm trying hard not to lose it today....this is probably the most frightened I've ever been! Can you even imagine how I'll be when the date comes closer? I know I have no choice as I don't want to live the rest of my life like I am now, but I'm really scared! (I don't think I'm a wimp, just really, really nervous!)

Any encouraging words out there for me????

I'm sorry that you are so scared, Dewey! Hang out with us. You'll feel less frightened by the time your surgery date is here.

Dewey, I had a doc like yours---I got used to him. His PA was great and I talked with him most of the time anyway. You want a surgeon with great credentials.

I guess at some point, you will have to trust your surgeon and the anesthesiologist to take care of you--it is not easy letting go. Most of our fear of surgery is rooted in "loosing control" and being at the mercy of physicians and nurses. Think of this as a learning experience. I guarantee that you will have more compassion for folks on crutches and in pain after this. You will learn that you are stronger than you think and you will learn to "let go" and let others take care of you. How wonderful. Kelly

What a day! Told my teammates and my principal of my upcoming surgery. Most were very supportive. Just waiting now for the scheduler to call and tell me the actual day to plan for.

Here's some random thoughts I'm thinking, and some questions that I'm sure some nice bonesmartie can answer...

-The surgeon told me that I could go to a nursing facility for a few days, or I could go home on day 2 or 3 after the surgery. How do I decide what to do? I really have no idea what kind of shape I'll be in, and I'm concerned about what my husband will have to do for me. (Will I be able to get up and use the restroom by myself???) Just don't know how to make this decision!

-Doctor said I should have knee #2 done 6 weeks after the first. Will I reallly be ready and able after just 6 weeks to do it again?

-What about my little puppy? She's 10 months old, and really sweet. She loves to jump up and sit on my lap. Will she need to be boarded for a week or so at first?

-Last one for today: Dr. said my husband should take two weeks off to care for me after the surgery. Is that enough? Too much?

Thanks, so very much, again and again for all of your help! I'm so thankful that I've found this site!

Let's see, I will take your questions in order. Most of us go right home from the hospital on day three or four. They will not discharge you until you can go up and down stairs, to the bathroom by yourself and can walk around comfortably. You will not need a nursing home or rehab center--that is mostly for people who live alone and don't have help from a spouse.

If I had my choice, I would wait 8 weeks between knees. At 8 weeks, I was starting to feel pretty good. I went on a 12 mile bike ride with my group. I went 20 miles the next week. It could be done at six weeks too.

I went home in the pm of day two after surgery. I could get up and get my own ice, and lunch, etc. It was nice to have my husband home for the first few days---I had a notebook to write down when i took my pain pills so that I did not forget when to take them. He helped me with that and helped me to get up in the night to take the pain pills. I kept grahmn crackers and tiny tubs of peanut butter beside my bed so that I always ate something with the pills.

By the end of the first week, I was pretty self sufficient. I think he could work the days you are in the hospital and then take off a week. He could save the second week for the second knee.

I did have girl friends who stopped in or took me out to lunch. i drove myself fairly early--at the second week since I switched to tramadol at that time, but each person has a different feeling of pain and the meds they need to control that pain. If you have an accident while taking narcotics, it will be counted against you, so to be safe, most people do not drive while taking percoset. It is safe to drive while taking Tramadol.

I think the thing to remember is that you will hurt and if you do too much, your knee will swell. So for the first two weeks, I spent a lot of time lying down with my knee propped on three pillows and with ice on it. I would walk around the house to get something to eat or to walk outside for a breath of air---but I was tired and would go lie down again. Also percoset makes me very sleepy, so I slept a lot too. I had to set my phone to ring every four hours so I would not forget my meds.

If you husband has tons of vacation time, it would be nice to have him home. But, if his time is limited, I think that a week will do it. After than, he can call you a lot and help when he gets home. Kelly

-The surgeon told me that I could go to a nursing facility for a few days, or I could go home on day 2 or 3 after the surgery. How do I decide what to do? I really have no idea what kind of shape I'll be in, and I'm concerned about what my husband will have to do for me. (Will I be able to get up and use the restroom by myself???) Just don't know how to make this decision!
Go to the nursing facility until you can't stand it any more. Each day there is a load off hubby, is one extra day's leave he can take, one extra day in recovery. Being able to use the bathroom by yourself is a good measure, you should be on for that within a day or so. Get a high seat for the toilet at home.
-Doctor said I should have knee #2 done 6 weeks after the first. Will I reallly be ready and able after just 6 weeks to do it again?
Speaking as bilateral 'victim', get it done ASAP. Recovery in parallel, not in series. Having said that, six weeks isn't long in the broader scheme of things. So, my answer is 'six weeks or less'.
-What about my little puppy? She's 10 months old, and really sweet. She loves to jump up and sit on my lap. Will she need to be boarded for a week or so at first?
My guess would be that the joy of having her at home would offset the occasional lapses. It can't damage the knee.
-Last one for today: Dr. said my husband should take two weeks off to care for me after the surgery. Is that enough? Too much?
The objective is to get you through the day sitting on your chair watching TV, reading doing nothing (except bathroom visits). If he can set this up then go to work he may be able to get more 'partial' time off, e.g. just in the morning to get you going. The idea would be to have food, remote controls, video discs, books, water, ice, Cryo-cufrr or whatever you use, drugs, computer, walker or canes, etc etc all to hand, to have you settled in your chair. Oh and to have you ready not to notice anything that has to be done -- there ain't no such thing. That's really it.

Thanks so much for answering my questions.....again! I hope you don't mind, but I'm guessing there will be much more before my surgery date! I've been reading and reading on this site today. What wonderful information!

Went to Walmart today to fight the crowds and get Thanksgiving groceries. Man, oh man, have my cortisone shots wore off! I was absolutely miserable after about 15 minutes of walking. And I had to wait in the check-out line for over a half an hour. I couldn't wait to get to my car and sit down. So maddening.....

So...........Please, please, please tell me that will go away after my surgery! There are so many things I can't do comfortably now! I am not even sure how I will be able to wait 8 more weeks until my time comes. I can't wait to no longer have to always THINK about these stupid knees!!!

Hi there!
You can do everything yourself. You are worrying waaaaaay too much about things that you don't have to worry about. You will be able to use take care of all of your personal hygiene all by yourself. Where are yo getting these fears from? Did you read the library articles? I was one of the bonesmart whiners and i could shower the day i got home, and clean the shower down to boot. The toughest part of the recovery is getting comfortable. A recliner is worth it's price in gold. You'll want to get up and walk about every now and then. You'll want to stretch. You will not be an invalid at all. i feel so bad for you that you are so worried things that you don't have to worry about. I came home on Sunday. My husband took the week that i was home off. By Tuesday it was clear that I was fine on my own and I sent him back to work. I was worried about my dog, too. (a toy poodle) He NEVER once jumped up on my leg. he knew. You will be fine. Best!

Yes, I know.....I worry WAY TOO MUCH! Always have, and probably always will! I'm just hoping that this is all SO MUCH BETTER than I think it'll be!!

Scheduler called today. There are so many decisions to make! Which hospital? (there are 3 in our town), which rehab facility?, which anesthesiologist? I have to check with my insurance to see what places are covered and go from there. Just want it figured out! Looks like the middle of January will be it, though. I'll know the exact date tomorrow.

I just so don't want to do this! I know it's normal to feel this way, and I'm sure it'll all be ok, but I'm feeling more and more stressed everyday. Knees are getting worse each day, too, and I'm so exhausted at the end of the day. It's becoming harder and harder to sleep all night, both due to the stress and knee pain.

Ok, I know you all know exactly how I feel, and I do feel better just by whining here! Thanks to you all for being here for me even before I even have this surgery! I so appreciate it!!

I remember the stress of the waiting and getting organized. vent here anytime.

Well, I guess it's really going to happen! I am now signed up for Monday, January 28th for my first knee replacement. The surgery scheduler wasn't in to set up the dates of the pre-op appointments or class, but I am in for the RTKR!

Oh boy, it's "real" now!

Tough day at work today, so I think I will be ready. It seems to get a bit harder every single day to manuver with these knees. The constant pain is so tiresome! It's very, very difficult to teach a group of twenty-five 10 year olds sitting down! I am sure I'll be ready for the surgery by the end of January! Hopefully, I will be able to wait that long!

So............beginning the countdown to my "January Jackpot"!!! Be warned....lots of questions coming your way!

question marks.gif Bring 'em on, Dewey! It's what we're here for. Do your Library reading and other member's thread reading---also book reading (Brugioni & Falkel's " Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation: The Knee Owner's Manual" is an excellent resource). Knowledge is power. Prepare yourself for the long haul--recovery is a long, long road full of twists and turns, ups and downs----but is very doable with a positive attitude---the more positive the better for you. In the end you get a pain free knee. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
1hugsmile.gif

Hi Dewey and welcome to Bonesmart, you are in the right place here, the support and advice is fabulous, day and night there is always support on hand. Everyone will be cheering you on :yay:

Hi Dewey, Great news that you have your date. I am really pleased for you.
Hopefully I will get a January date too. I am really fed up with waiting for a date.
I will follow your progress with interest.
Hugs
Toothfairy :flwrysmile:

Thanks for the warm welcomes. What a great place this is! I've been reading, daily, all of the pre and post op posts. I can't believe how much I've learned!

Toothfairy, I'll be watching for your post of your surgery date, too. Maybe we can be "January buddies"???

Had what could have been a setback this week. I have Atrial Fibrilation, and it reared its ugly head last Sunday night. I can usually get my heartbeat to convert to normal rhythm during an episode with an increase of my BP med, but this time it didn't work. I had to have a cardioversion at the hospital on Tuesday. My cardiologist seemed to think it wouldn't interfere with my upcoming surgery next month, but it sure has increased the anticipation and nervousness for me! I'm fine for now, but worried that I'll have heart problems during or after my surgery. Anyone else have heart related issues and undergone knee replacement? I'd love to hear some encouraging words! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads