THR New Here- THR 8/22/22- Muscle Atrophy (maybe)

Hi SweetV!
I had my right hip done on July 13 so almost 10 weeks in. I had a good cry this weekend that I'm "not back to normal". It's really sad and scary to go go through something so traumatic and not feel the relief you hear about from everyone else. I started to dread people asking me how I'm doing. This is what I have realized for me, my actual hip joint is better but the muscles around it still can't figure out what's going on. I was having a lot of glute and groin pain still. My PT confirmed(as I suspected) that my muscles are extremely weak from compensating for so long(my left hip is also being replaced in December) So its just going to take tiiiimmmeee(for me anyway) Now this is going to sound really weird and "woo woo" but that's the kind of girl I am lol. I did a meditation on "releasing pain from the body". At one point it asks you to ask your body what's causing this pain? I "heard" a resounding "FEAR". I then made an intention to release fear and I'm not kidding you, my pain has gone down about 50%. You are going to be great!! It's so early. I cried when I read you are a single mom. Toughest job in the world. I know you want to be 100% if not for yourself, for your child/children. Take care.
P.S. we are just about the same age:)
@llurbs This sounds exactly like what I am experiencing! Also, I think you are spot on about the Fear. I know for a fact that I am afraid...afraid of the unknown, afraid that I am going to do something to damage it, afraid that I will be like this forever etc. I am going to look into this. I 100% believe in meditation.
Thank you for the wonderful compliment regarding being a single parent. I am so used to taking care of my daughter (She is special needs) and now she is helping me when she can.
....and yay for 50! :heehee:

Hello sweetV
Firstly congratulations on your surgery. I’m 13 weeks post total right hip surgery. This is a great site for help and reassurance. You had a tough time before your surgery as did I. I was walking with two canes for about 2 months. It is upsetting when ‘people’ tell you you will practically be running at 6 weeks!! It’s different for everyone and I have realised that this is going to take a long time particularly because of the way of walking before the op. I have had ups and downs and only this week I am having pain in my groin which makes me worry. What we aren’t prepared for I think is the mental thoughts and worries along with the physical stuff. You are very early in your recovery and if you have a good physiotherapist who has advised you well then I’m sure all will be good. One day at a time, it will happen, but try to be positive and patient, and you’ll realise you are doing more each week. Wishing you all the best with everything x
@Holiday thank you so much. You are absolutely correct regarding the mental thoughts and worries. This, for me is harder than the physical part. It's not a part that I saw coming. I am definitely going to come out of this mentally stronger. Sometimes when the pain is flaring, I feel just like I did prior to surgery and that worries me and is also discouraging. I am sorry that you are experiencing bone pain. I really hope that goes away for you to take that worry away.

Curious to know what shoes you find most comfortable during recovery. I have a pair of HOKAs (Mach 4) and they are THE most comfortable. I recently purchased a pair of On Clouds and wore them for a day...the next day my whole body was hurting. I had to return them as they were too "hard" for me.
Does anyone have any "go to" shoes?

Hello SweetV!
Here is a thread from the Community area on the topic. My go to shoes since surgery have been Vionic, Sketchers, and Clarks amongst a few other brands. I've managed to find what I consider "normal' stylish shoes in all of the brands I mentioned. Not old lady or orthopedic looking at all. :heehee: I have heard good things about HOKA's and also Kiziks. Here is the link -
SHOES FOR RECOVERY

@SweetV

Oops...forgot to wish you a
HAPPY ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY! :flwrysmile:

@SweetV Excellent post! During this past year of dragging my 'bad' leg along while I using my 'good' leg the majority of the time has really done a number on my already bad feet (flat, with hammer toes and bunions). I should have replaced my shoes a year ago but I couldn't go shopping anymore once the hip gave out. I noticed that it hurts less when I put my better shoes on than when I'm just shlepping around in my slippers or barefoot. I looked at Hokas a couple of years ago but I'm afraid of rolling my ankle in them. I've heard good things about Kiziks too.

So I NEED to get my hot dogs in a good shoe soon...as soon as the swelling subsides a bit!

ps: I don't even other with women's shoes anymore. I wear men's in a 10 or 10.5. And my left foot is bigger than my right. I am doomed, lol.

Last edited:
@SweetV Excellent post! During this past year of dragging my 'bad' leg along while I using my 'good' leg the majority of the time has really done a number on my already bad feet (flat, with hammer toes and bunions). I should have replaced my shoes a year ago but I couldn't go shopping anymore once the hip gave out. I noticed that it hurts less when I put my better shoes on than when I'm just shlepping around in my slippers or barefoot. I looked at Hokas a couple of years ago but I'm afraid of rolling my ankle in them. I've heard good things about Kiziks too.

So I NEED to get my hot dogs in a good shoe soon...as soon as the swelling subsides a bit!

ps: I don't even other with women's shoes anymore. I wear men's in a 10 or 10.5. And my left foot is bigger than my right. I am doomed, lol.
@danelady I wear croc slides (maybe not the safest) I'm the house. I have hard floors and there is no way I'm going barefoot. I haven't heard of Kiziks, but will look them up now. The HOKAS are the best thing I have coke across...but I have to tie them which is challenging. (unless someone is around to help) LOL

I put elastic laces in my NB tennis sneakers and I bought a pair of slip on Skechers. I used a long handle show horn and had no problem putting them on.
@Eman85 have you seen the "Slip in" Sketchers? You literally don't have to touch the shoe to get in them...just slip your foot in. I have a pair and the worked for a week or so when I had the walker, but the Sketchers are too cushiony if that makes sense. I forgot about elastic laces. I am going to add them to my pick up order this weekend. Thanks!!

sweetv, I feel what you are saying. I am going on 3 months and still have groin pain. The pain is not as bad as it was the first few weeks but I still have pain. I worry that it will never go away. It is depressing because I am 54 and used to be very active. I hope you get better as well as I.

@ericson1998 :thankyou: I am finding that every day is different.(Or even each part of the day) I can be fine one day and the next in pain. It's definitely not as bad as it was prior to surgery, (its muscle pain now) but the limping throws everything else off. My other hip/leg is hurting the last couple of days. I cannot have that! :heehee:

but the limping throws everything else off.

Here’s a tip you may or may not have heard -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking
1663976376044.png

@Layla Thank you! I'll start trying this when I get up un morning ☀️

Welcome SweetV,
I'll just echo what everyone else has already said, it's pretty laughable when others tell you how soon you will recover and how they know people that were fine in 3 weeks.
Some recover sooner than others but the recovery (full recovery) can take close to a year. That's not to say you can't walk or be doing activities it's just a patience thing and your hip is running the show.
At 7 months post op I'm back to majority of my daily life. Still have aches and pains now and then but overall I'm able to do what I need to do. I'm older and no little kids so if I'm not feeling up to doing something I can just chill out. I realize with kids it's a whole other lifestyle. But you will get there, don't be too hard on yourself, we are here to help you in any way possible, it's an amazing site and all the people that post here are knowledgeable and caring.
I wish you the best.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking
1663976376044.png
That’s a useful graphic. I really have to focus on that last ‘terminal’ stance, as I totally lost that backwards flexion over the last year. I can tell that it is already improving, but it is so easy to slip back into established patterns.

I really had to concentrate on this. It did not come easy after my gait changed due to my deteriorating hip.
Heel-toe walking felt foreign to me. When focusing, it did feel as though I was walking stronger / straighter / taller.
I also learned that I fell back into limping if I was fatigued in those early months of recovery. I didn't realize it on my own, it was normally through someone asking me if I was limping. Huh...what?! I didn't know I was limping.
Let us know how it works for you, SweetV, and have a nice weekend! :wave:
@SweetV

@Layla I did it this morning! It absolutely does work. You do have to focus, but it does help. Today I have quite a bit of pain. (Mostly stabbing/shooting pain). I find that there is no comfortable place for me to sit in my apartment. The dining room table is my go to place for a while.
I find myself walking funny because my other hip/leg is hurting now. (I am assuming that is normal and from compensating?)
Thank you for the great advice! I hope you are having a great weekend!

You're welcome!
YES...heel-toe walking does work, but you'll find yourself forgetting to do it because old habits (gait) die hard. My surgeon's PA reminded me how we experience pain as our hip deteriorates. Pain again after surgery, due to the obvious controlled trauma, but also because our gait changes once again as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. Then...if you're limping, as many do, once gain we're re-adjusting and your non op hip often does suffer discomfort or pain because we tend to favor our injured limb.

Playing Goldilocks with seating and beds is also very common. One's too hard, one's too soft and hopefully one is "almost" just right.

ALL will slowly fall into place. That you can count on!
@SweetV

You're welcome!
YES...heel-toe walking does work, but you'll find yourself forgetting to do it because old habits (gait) die hard. My surgeon's PA reminded me how we experience pain as our hip deteriorates. Pain again after surgery, due to the obvious controlled trauma, but also because our gait changes once again as our body adjusts to the prosthetic. Then...if you're limping, as many do, once gain we're re-adjusting and your non op hip often does suffer discomfort or pain because we tend to favor our injured limb.

Playing Goldilocks with seating and beds is also very common. One's too hard, one's too soft and hopefully one is "almost" just right.

ALL will slowly fall into place. That you can count on!
@SweetV
@Layla that is SO funny! That is exactly what I have called it! I feel that way when trying to explain my shoes as well! :heehee:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back