TKR New Here Looking for Positivity

Hello @Poctdb
That’s so cool to hear. My PT was talking about it too and I’ve been doing it a few times a day. She said even just lightest touch can help the nerve endings and their sensitivity. I have just been massaging very lightly in an upward motion. I’m going to Google search that now! Fascinating.

@Poctdb
On a nostalgic note. Many years ago my father suffered a head injury and was in a coma. My mother researched the power of touch and found a book showing special points on the feet that could help the brain. She massaged his feet daily. We believe that it was one of the things that helped his recovery.
It’s good to be reminded of this. Thank you!!

It’s hard to keep a positive mindset when in so much pain. My plan is to rest, ice, and elevate until my meeting on Monday. I hope to have better news by then!
Sounds like a good plan. Your knee is very new and other than trips to the bathroom & maybe a little walking to and fro to the kitchen and the like, your "job" is to rest, ice and elevate. :console2:

Hello @LooLoo:

Try to be patient. Things should improve. It just takes longer than we want.

I decided to have my first surgery after I had to give up on a hike while on vacation. The first few weeks post surgery I regretted having the procedure and swore I would never have the 2nd knee done. Things slowly improved and I did have the 2nd replacement. I am up to walking 25 miles per week without any issues and am doing things I could not do pre-surgery.

Take care.

Thank you @Chemist. My favorite things to do are hiking and long distance walking! I decided to do the same thing when I could I longer walk a few feet without pain! Although right now if asked, I would say never again. The pain is unbearable.
I finally had a doc recommend 800 mg if ibuprofen and I have found that has always worked better for me than Tylenol in the past. The Norco and Tramodol are not working. Fingers crossed I get somewhere with this!!

Howdy: for what it is worth I have changed my attitude about pain medications after my replacements. ibuprofen was my go to medication prior to surgery - it worked on the inflammation in my knees while Tylenol didn't do much. Tylenol is much more effective for me post surgery. Especially at the levels recommended in this forum.

Regards

@LooLoo

I am exactly the opposite of @Chemist (although we are both in the Great State of Texas)! My guess is he is southeast of me in Houston.

I had an anesthesiologist tell me that Tylenol works on a different pain receptor....but I can’t tell a difference in the pain after I take it....hmmmm....so really...is it working?

So, (like you) pre/post surgery ibuprofen is still my go to. You just have to figure it out what works for you and is approved by any doc involved.

@LooLoo
Look at @DIYSteve thread....
I went to his a lot when I thought things would never be normal again.
I think he is a year or so out.
I never did the things he did before TKR....but it is inspiring IMHO.

You really do need to find what medication works for you. Recommendations from medical professionals are all over the place. My OS recommended that I avoid ibuprofen for the first 3 months post surgery. He believed that it interfered with healing. Who knows?

Poctdb, thanks for the shout out.

LooLoo, you're only 11 days post-op. Gawd, it was painful. And, to make it worse, the meds can really mess with your mood. But it gets better. Way better. Hang in there.

You really do need to find what medication works for you. Recommendations from medical professionals are all over the place. My OS recommended that I avoid ibuprofen for the first 3 months post surgery. He believed that it interfered with healing. Who knows?

True. My sister's OS gave her the same advice when she broke her arm.

Many people find ibu or other NSAIDS work well for pain or swelling after surgery. I have to say doing one with NSAIDS and one with tylenol I didn't notice the difference. But the reason I did the 2nd without NSAIDs was an ulcer caused by them. They're fine-- until they're not.

Hi @LooLoo! You are doing really well for day 10. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that you're down to just Tramadol and Tylenol. Pain takes your brain chemicals and stomps on them, so cut yourself some slack when you get all weepy and self-doubting. You might try objectifying the experience, as in, if your best friend were going through this, what would you say to him or her?

I'm at home recovering from my 2nd TKR, and as you have heard many times now, the first 2-4 weeks are tough. We're all different. This is totally worth it and one day soon you will see that--we all promise! Hang in there and turn to the these forums. They truly are a fabulous helpful resource. Please keep posting and let us all know how it goes.

Oh my gosh @MissNoodle thank you. I needed to hear it again. Last night my on call doc switched me to ibuprofen and it’s made a significant difference. The pain is much more tolerable now. I want the fear to go away. I still have the fear that I won’t get better fast enough. Fast enough for my work leave etc. But in the end, if it takes me longer than 6 weeks to go back to work, so be it. I have to remain positive to myself and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
I can see how many of you have been so successful through your experiences and I will try to remember that I can get there too.

I still have the fear that I won’t get better fast enough. Fast enough for my work leave etc. But in the end, if it takes me longer than 6 weeks to go back to work, so be it. I have to remain positive to myself and not worry about what anyone else thinks.
Six weeks is really early to be going back to work.
We usually recommend 12 weeks and then doing a Phased return to work , if possible.

There's nothing you can do to speed up your knee's recovery, but you may slow it down if you ask too much of your knee, too soon.

Wow @Celle Thanks for that link. That will be helpful when I try to negotiate my time in the future. I have a desk job but I am up and down walking long distances around our mill frequently. I will also have to ask for new seating arrangement. I have a tall chair where my legs mostly dangle. It has never really been an appropriate set up to begin with. I should begin researching seating now. Any suggestions for the best seated desk positions?
Thank you!

Any suggestions for the best seated desk positions?
You will need to somehow elevate and ice your knee the first few weeks or more while you're at work. Sitting at a desk with your feet down on the floor will cause your knee to swell and become very painful.
Last night my on call doc switched me to ibuprofen and it’s made a significant difference.
Be sure to eat something before you take your ibuprofen. It can be very rough on the tummy.

Does anyone know what an infection feels like? Could that be the reason for a constant low grade fever and chills? Or could that be why the pain seems worse? My scar and staples and swelling and bruising all seem to look fine. My PT nurse was here on Friday and said it looked great as well. I guess I’m still searching for an explanation for feeling so crappy. Or is it just that no matter what you’re going to feel crappy for the first few weeks? I have zero motivation that’s for sure. Just want to sleep. My pain is a little better today than yesterday thank Goodness.

Or is it just that no matter what you’re going to feel crappy for the first few weeks?
Yep, you've got it. A low grade fever is normal for a few weeks. I had mine tkr in June. It was in the 90s outside, but I would freeze because of the icing. I'd go stand outside for a few minutes just to warm up. Some people use a heated throw to try and keep warm while icing. When I have my next one that's one thing I will buy.

I ran a low grade fever for quite a while. Seems to be part of the healing process. My OS said to call if it spiked over 101F. I think most of us feel "crappy" early in recovery - which is where you are. Try to be patient.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back