Hip Arthroscopy New here labral hip repair.

Kanrae

Country
United States United States
Hi, I had a hip labreal tear repair done March 18th 2020.

I have been doing my pt for the last week and half and I am unsure if it is the pt or just stages of my recovery that is causing rls type issues.

The last 3 days has been hard to sleep and my legs seem extreamly annoyed.

Here's hoping I can sleep normal again soon.

@Kanrae Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip had the op? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

RLS is very common post joint surgery. The good news is this usually resolves itself. But I know how annoying this can be. Be sure you are taking enough pain medication at night. Some light stretches might also help.

There are more tips in this article from our Library Restless legs following knee replacement surgery . The article refers to TKR but the information definitely applies to any lower limb surgery.

Hello @Kanrae - and :welome:

Please will you tell us if your labral tear was repaired arthroscopically, or if you have a large incision?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

It was my right hip and yes arthroscopically.

Thank you for the link I will go and read up on it in hopes to sleep and not keep my husband up with it.

Hello and welcome! Thanks for joining us.
The suggestion of Magnesium deficiency contributing to the discomfort was mentioned as a possibility in the article, Jaycey, left. Some members have found relief through supplementing with it. Just another option to consider if all else fails -

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Kanrae

Hello @Kanrae , I used to experience a significant amount of pain for the first 6 weeks after surgery. Has your surgeon prescribed any painkillers for you? My surgeon had prescribed Celebrex and it used to
help the pain settle down. Are you still using crutches? Walking without crutches for the first week is painful, but It resolves by time. Also, don’t let your PT rush you in to exercising too much if you still feel sore.

In my experience:
For the first 6 weeks , the cpm machine and light excercises in the pool did not cause me pain, everything else did! I was comfortable being in the pool as it helped me move my muscles without causing any overload. You need clearance though from your doctor to start using the pool so you don’t cause an infection/irritation to the incisions.

hope you feel better soon.

I sent a message to my hip Dr. That did the surgery. He said to talk to my pc Dr. My pc prescribed mr miaplex and had me come in and test levels.

Well iron magnesium and all blood levels were normal.. Mirapex didn't stay down thru the night, so I won't be taking that again.

4 week follow up the surgeon/ hip dr asked what the pc said and said he never had one of his recovery patients complain of rls symptoms. Told him that from what I was reading it seemed normal this time of recovery.

Pt is allowed to apply more movement with the leg and I am hoping it will help. Still on crutches, but they are going to start the weaning off process.

Pc said if I need he can prescribe a muscle relaxer to see if it can help me sleep since the rls med didn't stay down.

I am in the process of getting my pool up and going but it is still cold outside in the Midwest lol

Thank you for your ideas and support guys.

Kanrae

:hi: Hi @Kanrae
Stopping by to say Hi on this special anniversary date of four months post op.
Wishing you a happy one. We‘d love to hear how you’re doing if you have the time to share.
Be safe and stay well! :)

Oops...just noticed we have the wrong date for your surgery on our list. We need to edit it that, but if you’re reading this, we’d love to hear about your progress eight days before your actual four month anniversary.

:hi: Happy Four Month Anniversary...for real this time!
Hope you’re doing well and enjoying the Summer. :swim:
@Kanrae

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020