Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR New here. Just scheduled my surgery.

Dobbie1970

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone. I've been reading your posts and other information for about two weeks. I've scheduled my Anterior hip replacement surgery for August 24. Frankly, I'm a bundle of nerves and have begun second-guessing almost every decision I make. I've gotten snappish with my darling hubby and am feeling sooooo isolated due to Covid restrictions. Anyway, here I am and I'll enjoy researching the areas of this website. Oh, I'm 71 and have dealt with this problem for two years with therapy and OTC pain relief. I enjoy swimming, yoga and playing with 2 year old grand-twins.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well welcome ... of course, you're a bundle of nerves. We all become a bundle of nerves when the reality of surgery sinks in. I remember that about a month out (I had set the date six months ahead of time) the surgery suddenly became real in my mind as something "not coming up" but something "coming up really soon."

Don't be surprised by last-minute worries as well. I'm sure your hubby knows that you're getting nervous about the surgery.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

Please leave which hip will be replaced below and we’ll add it to your signature. Thanks in advance.

The anxiety you’re experiencing is normal. Most who’ve been through THR will agree the lead up to surgery is the worst part of the entire process. Add to that the current situation due to the pandemic and I’m sure at times it feels overwhelming. You will get through this and you’re going to love the result.

We’ll be here whenever you need us for advice, support or encouragement, so stop by often and we’ll do our best to answer any questions you have.

Following you will find a few articles that may be of interest as you’re awaiting the 24th.
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you wait.
@Dobbie1970

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
hi @Dobbie1970 and welcome! I am one of the very few on here who wasn't much a bundle of nerves. Having had a major lady-innard removed at 37 and experiencing the permanent relief from constant pain taught me that I could look forward to THR with confidence and joy.

These fora are absolutely the best place to find answers to any question! Keep asking, somebody will always answer! Vent, bemoan, flutter, snap-- we'll take you however you feel! :)

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Dobbie1970 :wave: and welcome to Bone Smart, glad you've joined us. We all were a bundle of nerves prior to our surgery, just try your best to take a deep breath and concentrate on getting set for recovery. Having something else to concentrate on really helps keep the nerves at bay. Plus take some time to read others pre-op threads and recovery threads, you'll find lots of great info and see you're not in this alone.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and welcome to the forum. You say you have been reading things here for a couple of weeks. This is wonderful as you probably see how most recoveries are great and people can get back to their activities without pain. Read some more and ask questions as they pop into your head. We are here to support you pre and post surgery.

OP
OP
D

Dobbie1970

Country
Thanks, everyone. It's the right hip.

OP
OP
D

Dobbie1970

Country
I have a question. Ha! Don't we all? My question is, when I'm told "you won't be able to do such and such", are people referring to a) the rest of my life b) for about a year after my THR or c) for the first 8 weeks or so following the operation?

Here's an example: Often, when I go out in our yard, I see a weed and stoop to pull it up. The doc said to bend only 90 degrees. Is this an indication I'll need a lawn service??? Could some of you give me some of your life-hacks for resuming your routines?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
My restrictions were for 6wks post surgery which included the no bending past 90 degrees. This did not mean that immediately at 6wks I bent over all the way but I knew that I could relax and bend as much as my hip and body allowed. Somewhere along the line I just forgot about it as the hip felt great and it did not talk back to me with ouches. By 3-4 months I was picking up lots of sticks/branches from the yard from all the winter deadfall without a thought. Of course each person is different and their recovery is different. Your doctor will give you the guidelines for you and your hip.

If you have another appointment with your surgeon before your surgical date, make a list of questions to take with you. If you do not have another appointment make a list and call the office and ask to have your questions answered.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Here's an example: Often, when I go out in our yard, I see a weed and stoop to pull it up. The doc said to bend only 90 degrees. Is this an indication I'll need a lawn service??? Could some of you give me some of your life-hacks for resuming your routines?
No, it's not an indication you'll need a lawn service. You may need help for a while with heavier jobs, while you're recovering, but you should be able to deal with the occasional weed.
There is a way in which you can bend down to pull out a weed, without breaking the 90-degree rule:
It's here, in this article: Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule

"There is also this tip to pick things up from the floor - it's called the 'golfer's reach'!
Make sure you have one hand on something stable like a kitchen counter
Put your operated leg back as far as you can so it is in line with the straight of your back
Bend your good leg and reach down with your free hand

golfers reach 2-horz.jpg

As you can see, the operated leg is in a straight line with the body so not violating the rules. It's a very easy manoeuvre but do be careful the first few days and always hold on to something firm like the kitchen counter or an armchair until you are confident with it. "

Hip4life

graduate
Country
I’m a lifer. Lol. That is what my OS’s department’s protocol is. It varies from OS to OS. My arthroscopic OS started to tell me that it wasn’t necessary to follow anymore (8 months out) but back tracked and said to follow my original OS recommendation. I was diligent for that first year and then adopted the “try the best you can and as you remember, common sense” philosophy. It seems to be working out okay. I’m pretty sure my OS wouldn’t have too much trouble with that at this point. Most of it has just become second nature, anyway. I use the golfer’s reach quite a bit. It’s still just a little more comfortable. Follow your doctor’s recommendation. But like someone here said, if you’re a lifer and you forget occasionally after that first 6 weeks, you can be reassured by the fact that there are plenty of post THRs that only have had limited-time restrictions and do very well.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
I have two anteriors from the same OS, 4 years apart. I had a few short-term precautions for both, and have been shown my "position of risk for dislocation", so I don't plan to do that intentionally. For the first hip the PA recommended that I not run/jog for exercise regularly, to avoid wear and tear. Running is not forbidden, just, don't rack up any miles. For the second hip I was discharged with no restrictions, go figure. I'm not a runner any more, and otherwise I do what I like.

I remember crawling gently around my front yard after a storm, picking up millions of pine cones. My THR had been about 8 weeks before that, I think. I could bend over, but crawling was better on my back.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello Dobbie, Nice to meet you. Welcome and thanks for joining us!
I didn’t receive any restrictions either short, or long term. I’m not really a wild child and have no desire to bungee jump, or leap tall buildings in a single bound so aside from an unforeseen accident I will continue to do all I did pre-op.

I admit I’m a bit more cautious and hesitant to climb onto ladders, chairs or even footstools since my surgery. I was on a ladder just last week and I didn’t like it! I try to get hubs to do it now. You should easily be able to resume swimming, yoga, gardening at some point with a nod from your surgeon.
Looking forward to following your journey. Enjoy the weekend!
@Dobbie1970

OP
OP
D

Dobbie1970

Country
Thank you to all who've send encouragement, tips and videos! I was telling my husband about some of the suggestions. He's thrilled that he does not have to take over weed-pulling on a permanent basis:heehee:.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I also had no restrictions short term or long term, other than to listen to my body. My surgeon did say, something along the lines of, don't go out of your way to test your hip and stretch it in odd and unusual positions--and I think that applied to the first three months.

This advice will depend on your surgeon. My surgeon cuts from the front and side (anterolateral), and he has very very few dislocations. But I will hasten to add, that this doesn't mean his approach is better than posterior or anterior. Surgeons have their own protocols and restrictions based on their patient experiences and their reading of the research.

Yes, you will be able to garden--but there may be a delay until the soft tissue heals and the hip fuses with the bone.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Dropping by to say :hi:
I hope you’re ready for your big day on Monday. You’re going to love losing the horrid pain associated with a deteriorating hip and have a new gratitude for life and all the simple things that became difficult as your hip started its decline. I am excited for you and will look forward to supporting you as I follow your journey on the healing side.
I hope your weekend is a peaceful relaxing one and I’m wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Dobbie1970

OP
OP
D

Dobbie1970

Country
Yes, I'm in the three-day countdown to Monday morning. The weekend is planned with bringing in extra provisions (done), making soup- full of veggies for before and after surgery, inventory of the freezer for hubs and enjoying a couple more swims. I appreciate your reaching out and i'll try to post again when I get be in place. Should be out just one night. :prayer::SUNsmile::thankyou:

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. Great planning and soup making before surgery. I stocked up before mine also especially non perishables as my husband is not the world's best shopper. He laughed about it with the extra paper towels, toiletries, canned goods, etc but really appreciated not having to go to the store much.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Dobbie, I remember well my last days leading up to both THR's.. the time begins going by very quickly and then, poof! You have a new hip and are posting about your recovery.

Wishing you a relaxing weekend and look forward to your updates. You will do just fine. :SUNsmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Will be looking for you on the Healing Side.
Bye bye hip pain:egypdance:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom