New Here!! 6 wks post-op w/questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckeyeSixx

Hello all!! I just found this site today and I wish I'd found it sooner because I have learned so much in just the few hours I have been reading!!

I am 6 wks post-op THR-left hip, posterior approach, cementless. I am 37yrs old female and had 2 previous sx (8/07 & 11/07) to try to fix a labral tear caused from hip impingement (pincer and cam) which ended up unsuccessful. The sx itself was routine but recovery was difficult. I lost 700ml of blood and required 2 units of blood 1 day post, my bps were 65/40 on ave and I spiked a fever of 103 after the transfusion. Was in the hospital for 4 days. The first 2 weeks after sx was pure hell. After the two weeks, I made dramatic improvements in a short time and am now walking with only a slight limp. My concerns right now are...should I still be needing pain relief? I am severely allergic to asprin so anti-inflamatories are out of the question. It either tylenol or percocet and right now tylenol just doesn't cut it. I am down to 2 percocets/day and that is as far as I can wean down. I've been on them 2 years now so I have to be weaned off slowly and I am being impatient because I want off of them now but the pain is keeping me on them. Tramadol does nothing for pain...makes me not care that I'm in pain though!! LOL!! Is this all normal at 6 weeks? Am I expecting too much or am I just being whimpy?? Another concern I have is I am having a lot of left knee pain. I have had 7 knee surgeries on this knee and in 1999, I had a tibial tendon transfer sx to pull the patella more medial. My left leg had always turned outward and since the hip replacement, the leg is now straight and my knee is really turned medially. Anyone else have this problem? I am not about to have that corrected because to this day, the tibial tendon transfer was by far the worse, most painful surgery I have ever had!
OK, I think I'm done now!! Thanks to anyone who replies!!

Hello, Buckeye, and welcome to BoneSmart.

My, you have been through the mill! But to answer your question about the pain relief, given what you have described regarding the knee, I would say you shouldn't worry about it yet. You have had major surgery which will take some major healing. Maybe in another 2-4 weeks would be time to start thinking about enough is enough. Plus I believe percs can be a problem to come off. A shame your choices are so limited.

As for your knee, yes, there will be a period of adjustment, quite possible an extended period. But if your knee is now OVER corrected on account of the two surgeries conflicting, then you should discuss this with your OS and get his opinion.

Hi!! Thanks for your response!! I see my hip surgeron on 6/2 and I will ask about this. I went to physical therapy this morning and discussed this with my therapist and he does agree that it now looks like my knee is over corrected. I'm hoping that it will calm down and readjust over time. That surgery was supposed to save me from a knee replacement but now there is a lot of grinding and cracking in that knee that wasn't there before. Hopefully a few steroid injections in the knee will help a little.

Hi BuckeyeSixx!
Welcome from Me!!! I dont think your the only one worried about painkillers. I am fortunate enough not to be in pain but am taking the tremadol for the shaky/ electric leg I get when I am trying to sleep. I am only just nearly off them at 20 weeks believe it or not. I cut down to nights only after about 1 month and then every other night after two months and then twice a week and then only if I was really tired and its only this week I have started not needing them at all!!! If your trying and your body isnt letting you then maybe its not quite ready yet?? Hope you feel better soon
Take care
Joanne x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties