new feeling of hips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia S.

Country
Australia Australia
Hello everyone, I hope that you all feel much better. I am a candidate for hip replacement but WHEN is the question (i'll know this wednesday 26th april).I want to know is that after the operation do feel the new hip itself? does it feel like a clicking or rubbing feeling? Do you feel a foreign body inside everytime you make a move? does the feeling stay like that for ever or you forget it after a while? or you do not feel anything at all, it's like normal hips but with no pain plus mobility! Thanks for repliying, Sonia S..

Hello, Sonia S.
I can guess that You had Your operation 26.04.2006, just at 20-th Aniversary after our Chernobyl Accident. Today it seems is 5-th day after Your operation. How are You feeling? Have You a pain, can You go with crutches all over Hospital? When do You plan to go home?
If You can and if it is not so difficult for You - tell me a little about Yourself, about how long were You suffering with Hip, how long and difficult was operation, etc ?
Wish You all the best.
Sincerely Yours, Valery Korobeynyk from Ukraine.

By to-morrow my new hip has been in for three weeks, yet I cannot feel it at all. I could not tell anyone if there is an actual new hip in there or if it is a reconditioned old one, hahaha. I have no hip pain at all and neither is there any sound or grinding etc. how wonderful is that! The only discomfort I feel, and it is slight indeed, is the formerly stapled area. It is still red, tender and frail. My first Physio was to day and it is directed towards re activating the cut muscles. To all those contemplating a hip replacement, go for it. Once the first week is over and you are home again it gets better day by day.

Hello Annemarie, you just made my day!!! I'm glad to hear that you cannot feel anything other than a normal hip inside of you since i was so scared of the thought. My friends and family encourages me to have the operation but i can't get myself to hospital!!! The thought of doctors ripping my hips off my body really freaks me!!! Obviously, the operation is a success but how can i get myself motivated? When they say that you cannot bend so much in case of dislocation, how were you able to get in the car to go home from hospital?Were you able to climb stairs when you came home? I once slipped in the kitchen and i ripped the ligaments or muscle off my hip and my leg would not lift up for 3 to 4 weeks later and with extreme pain! If the surgeon is going to dislocate the hip and cut whatever muscle in order to install the new hip, how is that you can walk the day after the operation? If the ligaments are not holding the new hip how can you lift your leg to walk? Trust me, with ripped ligaments you cannot lift your leg up!!! Sonia S.

Greetings Sonia. Although everything feels stiff and solid (swollen) right after the operation, you are encouraged to slip off your hospital bed and stand on your own legs within a day after the operation. Hourly foot excersises while lying down are also important to forestall blood clots. I could not tell which muscle may have been cut because there still was enough strenght in the hip to keep me upright. There have never been any feelings of ripped or torn muscles. Physio teaches you, that on stairs or curb edges you should step up with your good leg and down with your operated leg. Stairs are still hard to climb, even with crutches. In order to get into the p***enger side of the car upon leaving the hospital put the seat backrest way down and slide yourself onto the seat backwards as far as you can before slowly rotating your entire body forwards. Legs are slightly bend, but keep them both together. You can even slide yourself (backwards) onto the backseat, bad hip against the wall, almost stretch out and rest. Crutches are used for at least 6 weeks.

Hi Ladies,
Welcome to a world without pain and new possibilities. I am two years post op. I had a minimally invasive THR of the right hip in June of 2004. Today, I bike, swim, run, dance, rollerskate, ski, etc. Although after today, running is not my favorite sport. I did a face plant over my dog this morning and now I have a black eye and scratches, just in time to go to Disney World with my great nieces and nephew. It is a whole new life! A life with out pain and lots of activity. (Well my face hurts, but not my hip!) Do everything that your doctor and phyiscal therapist tells you to do. You will be surprised at all of the things that you will be able to do! I just wish I hadn't waited so long to do it. So again congratulations! Marilyn

Hello Marilyn Kay. Explain minimal invasive procedure? I am just past 5 weeks of a complete left hip replacement and can't wait to get back to normal. Left hip pain is all gone but the right hip, which should now be supporting the healing left hip is making walking difficult due to ever increasing pain. The surgeon suggested to have this hip done in fall. I know healing takes time, some say up to a year or more. All I want is to be able to do some gardening and go for walks again.

Hello Annemarie, when i read about minimal invasive surgery I had a smile on my face and when i sugested this operation to the doctor he said it is not applicable for me! This new technique is a much smaller incision, no dislocating the hip therefore your muscles and ligaments stays in place so your recovering time is much quicker and you get less rehabilitation, isn't that right Marilyn Kay?

I just found you guys on line. I had both of my hips replaced this year, 2006. The first one was Jan.24, then the other one Mar. 31. I have gotten along very well. I was in so much pain before, that I had been walking with a walker. I had broken my left hip in 1990, and they pinned that hip, therefore they had to remove all of those pins before they put in the new hip, so that had an incision about 12 inches long. The right side was done with minimal invasive surgery, the incision is only about 3 inches. The problem I have had is with the foot on my right side, it is giving me pain, with shooting pains, and constant pain at night. I think that has something to do with the nerves, and when I told my surgeon about it he didn't seem to concerned, so I guess that is one of the things that can happen. It is a lot better than having the pain like it was before. As soon as you have surgery, and they get you out of that bed, the pain from the bad hip is gone. They don't do both hips at once around here. They do both knees. I go back to see my surgeon May 31 so I should find out something about that foot. I just got done with P.T. and they didn't seem concerned with that foot. It is very important that you take the Physical Therapy. Good Luck to all of you!!

Yes, with my minimally invasive surgery I just have two small cuts. One is high on my hip and the other at the crease in my leg where it joins my body. The muscles are moved apart for the most part rather than being cut. Since the muscles are not cut it helps the hip to be kept in line so there is less danger of dislocation. I did rehab with a physical therapist beginning the second day and going for a month. After that I continued my exercises on my own and with a trainer at my local gym. I still work daily to improve my ability to use my hip. It was a banner day when I could get down on my knees to work in my garden and another when I was able to climb steps with both legs. I did step work for months before I could walk up steps evenly with both legs. Good luck on your THR and your recovery!
Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, you sound like you are a real active lady, I want to congratulate you that even after you hip replacement you are doing so well while continuing to do all the things you love. Well done, you inspire me. When i'll have my operation, the surgeon is not gonna take short cut with me since my hips a more complicated and he will need to well open up! nevermind it could be worse. Marilyn, keep up the good work! Sonia.

Hi Sonia,
Realize that two years ago, I could not garden or do anything that required me to get up and down. I used a walker or a cane. Getting in and out of a car was very painful. I had no ball left. So I've been down that road. I was very lucky to have an excellent doctor who chose an operation and hip device that would give me the results that would let me do all the things that I had not been able to do for years. I do love my new life. You will feel so much better. My hip pain was gone when I woke up. I was sore and still in pain from the surgery for a couple of days. But after that it was just wonderful. What did you do to your hip? I just wore mine out especially since I was so overweight most of my life. Take care! Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, are you able to bend down to do the gardening? If you are, how come doctors says that you cannot bend so much down in case of dislocation? Can you put socks normally? As much as i like looking after the backyard, gardening etc.... I cannot do it because of my stiff hips. If i attempt to do so, i'll suffer the rest of the week. This condition that i have is from birth and is called "protrusio-acetabuli". My hips are not suppose to be where there are. They have pushed in the pelvic cavity (doctors call it funny hips). I can walk forward without so much pain BUT the hips do not rotate the other way what so ever.The solution to this problem is hip replacement. Since last December, i cannot bend down to wear my sock on my left foot nether do laces .It's getting worse. I don't have problem getting up and down the stairs but the slight rotation of the hip will hurt like hell! It's like walking like a robot, only forward. When outside, if i see children running towards me i frick out or people who accidently push me, the slightest rotation of the hips will make me scream in pain infront of everybody! At the moment this is my life but hopefully this will change one day when i have THR. I am still working, and work people know my condition and take good care of me. See ya, Sonia.

Hi Sonia,
Yes, I can bend down to garden, bend over to put on my socks, etc. I have no restrictions. I had simple(ha, Ha) THR surgery. I had just worn out my hip. Because it was the minimally invasive surgery, I do not at this time have to worry about dislocation. I did have restrictions for the first several months until I was completely healed. I do understand about the pain. I bought a suv that I could slide in and out of with out pain. Getting down into a car and then back up out of it was very painful before my surgery. I still have some pain occasionally in my hip, but it is a tendon not my hip joint. I do streteches and that relieves the pain immediately. My doctor is one of the doctors on this site. He has been very supportive of my activities. The wear rate on the highly crossed poly... liners is 0.01 per year. I'm planning on hanging around a long time and he says that they will outlast me.

Whoops, I wasn't through! Good luck on your surgery. You will love your new hips. I have a friend who just had the first one done and she can't believe that she has no pain. She has to wait until October for the next one. She can't wait. I have another friend who had two hip repacements 24 years ago. She downhill skis (carefully) and bikes. She is still going strong. I need to put on my running shoes and go run before it gets dark. Take care and let me know how your surgery goes.
Marilyn

Re: MIS

Love to hear how people came throught the MIS surgery..I am scheduld on 9/07 and I can hardly wait to be out of thid miserable pain!

I had my left hip replaced 16 days ago, minimally invasive, and feel absolutely great. I have some soreness but that is due to the physical therapy and recovery. I have been off of the pain meds for over a week. The horrific pain I had 24/7 the last 18 months is gone. I even get to start driving next week since this is my left hip. I can't wait to get out of the house more. Good luck, you will love your new hip. Terri

Yea Terri! Congratulations on your new hip! Glad to hear that the pain is gone! Wow driving next week. I had to wait five or six weeks before I could drive because it was my right hip!
Again congratulations!
Marilyn

Greetings to all out there. I have just arrived home from my second THR. This operation differes slightly from the last. This time I am told to keep the weight off my foot, as in "pretend I have an egg under my foot". This should last for 6 weeks. It is realy hard on my previously fixed hip (April 2006) as it creates more pressure here. I am hungry but have lost my appetite. Last time this lasted for three weeks. My bottom lip has a blister once again. Have been told that this is from the Oxygen tube used during the op. Physio started on the second day. No heel pain this time, but the other leg still has some, occasionally. Annemarie

Congratulations Annemarie! Keep up your spirits! Remember how great you will feel in 6 weeks! Glad to hear that you do not have any heel pain in the new leg. I hope that the heel pain in the other will continue to lessen. I'm out to ride my new bike. I wish that my shoulder liked it as much as my hip does.
Take care!
Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties