New drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferG

supremo
Country
United States United States
I switched to Vicadin from the percs last night. No problem with it. but I only took 2 at bedtime. I have been taking the tramadol every 6 hours but seem to be able to cut that back to 7-10. I just took 1 Vic because I'm pretty sore to stand this evening, so we'll see. When I called for the refill she was willing to give me which ever one I wanted, percs or Vic. I opted to give the Vic a try to try and kick it down a notch. If they don't cut it she said I could call back for the other.

Jenn the vics are what I've had since the hospital, they do OK for the pain but they aren't percs. They give me trouble sleeping if I take them, say after 6 pm, but I hardly ever take them at all now. Advil does all I need in that department. My wife, God bless her, takes care of most everything else.

Gat, praise God you can take Advil. It is a wonder drug. I took so much during my painful knee years that I cannot take it anymore. So, don't over do it, but rejoice that it works so well.

Skeet

I've been taking advil or the like right along. i took 2 vicodins around 6-6:30 because I was hurting more than usual tonight and I still hurt. Don't like that. If I am going to take one of the big boys for a drug then I want big relief. Not just like I took a tylenol or something. I'll probably be calling tomorrow to pick up the script for the percs.
Gat, did the vics wire you out? Send my compassion to your wife. Just kiddin'

Well, I called the Dr and said the vics didn't do it. they said how many did you take? did you try 2? I said yes I took 2, they said come on down for a new perc script. It's nice when things just work. I seem to have the most trouble actually getting through to a person with power. First you get the receptionist who puts you to voice mail......

Hi,

Vicadin / Hydrocodon wire me and I can't sleep soundly at all. Thought it was just my wierd body chemistry.....Steve

I don't feel 'wired', but I don't sleep well. Go to sleep-wake up; go to sleep-wake up; go to sleep-wake up.
I'm not going to tell how many I was taking at a time when I was going to therapy.............never know who might be monitoring this thang. Doug would send the Vice squad.

Gat, we'll just keep what we took as "our little secret"..They'd have to take me down first.

How long did you all get to take the percs my doc shut me off after 2 months said didnt want me to get addicted in which i thanked him for looking out for me but MAN o MAN i sure dont have any relife i thought i was doing well till i got off the perks and WOW pain is here i tried vicodin it did nothing i cant take any nsaids because im on Plavix for my heart and tylenol is just waste and my liver has been through enough dont need them in there if not working .Man talk about a crab thats me i guess its the withdrawl and the pain combined i dunno ,i was only taking 2 to 4 in a 24 to 36 hr period so i guess he thought that was to much he really didnt say ........ sorry just venting here JIM

I'm at 6.5weeks and I have a feeling they are going to start pushing me to lesser drugs. And if they work that's OK. I really don't want to be 4-5 months and still on percs. But at that point If I need something on bad days I'll want it. I'm only really looking for the EXTRA for eves if i have over done or to knock me out or 'numb me up' good to sleep. With the bi-lats finding an unstiff position in a little challenging. Not really pain, just distress. And I'm not taking percs every day.

Jim--
My neurosurgeon took over my pain med prescriptions after my back surgery (at three weeks post KR). He continued the oxycodone because it works better for nerve pain and I had been taking it since October for the nerve compression problems in my back. Is your pain worse in your back or knee?

What strength vicodin are you taking?

Did you taper off the perks or just switch to vics?

You should let them know and ask for a different pain med. There may be others or combinations that would help you more.

Good luck....

How long did you all get to take the percs my doc shut me off after 2 months said didnt want me to get addicted in which i thanked him for looking out for me but MAN o MAN i sure dont have any relife i thought i was doing well till i got off the perks and WOW pain is here i tried vicodin it did nothing i cant take any nsaids because im on Plavix for my heart and tylenol is just waste and my liver has been through enough dont need them in there if not working .Man talk about a crab thats me i guess its the withdrawl and the pain combined i dunno ,i was only taking 2 to 4 in a 24 to 36 hr period so i guess he thought that was to much he really didnt say ........ sorry just venting here JIM

Thats what i wanted them for also Jen just for bad days like today here it is rainy and stormy and man o man im sure hurtin ,maybe ill approch him with that thought of just when i need them ........ JIM

I agree with Beachy, jb. Like everything else, it varies from doc to doc on how much, how long and what they pass out. If I were hurting I would go to someone and get something. 30 years ago when I had my first knee surgery, they gave me Demerol and they worked well. When I asked about that this time everybody told me, "Thats just an older drug and we don't use it". Heck, I'm an older guy. Anyhow, here's my philosophy in a nutshell...Pain=Bad, No pain=Good.

GAT, that's what my OS said about flexaril (Muscle relax) before surgery. Old drug, no one uses. I had got it from my Rhuemy another time for similar but other issues and knew it Knocked my out good without the narcotics. Oh well.

Thats what I don't get. If the old stuff worked, why toss it. I understand if the new ones are better or have some advantage, but just cause they're 'dated' doesn't they're useless. I guess the drug companies make more on the new stuff. Back in tha day I could have 'found' some in a situation like this and 'hooked' everybody up..............just sayin.

I ran into the same thing with the Darvoset I took. I would have preferred to just take the Darvon part for pain without the acetomenephin added. Everyone poo-pooed that idea because it is an "old drug." Go figure. Glad I don't have to deal with any of it anymore and just use Aleve (naproxin). Some good information on it, though. I take Coumadin (warfarin) for a heart problem and taking 1-2 Aleve each day is having NO impact on my blood. I'm testing in range each time and very happy to know I can use Aleve with no problems. It works for me where Tylenol does not.

Glad Alleve works for you, Jamie. I got no real relief from it or Tylenol. So, now I'm still doing hyrocodone but in a lesser dosage. I can't wait for the days when I don't need anything!

Skeet, I betcha when you are clear of hydrocodone you will find yourself sleeping MUCH better. We had major storms here last night and I slept THROUGH them!!! Unreal. These days I don't get up at all during the night. I know it's a factor of not being on those prescription pain meds any longer. They just didn't like me!

I'm in the same boat as Skeet...When it really starts hurting, the over the counter stuff just won't work for me.
Alleve and the other stuff is O.K. for a regular day.

Actually, I am sleeping great these days. Don't even need any sleep aids. Having nicer weather, getting more exercise, have more energy. So, my only worry is the tightness in the area around my knee. That will take more time to work through. I'm so pleased with how things are going! Of course, I am still taking pain meds when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie