Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I'm afraid I must disagree with this notion. I have never seen anything anywhere supporting it and quite honestly, I cannot perceive of any situation where this would be true. It's just illogical.

Glad I kept reading down the thread and found your response. Whew.

Gilina

I got all my results today. I am highly allergic to my Stryker knee which is made of primarily nickel and my lower implant is loose.

My knee is coming out on November 5, one month from today. I have to be non weight bearing for a full 6 weeks so the tibia does not crack. Doc said its a lot of work getting out my current revision knee with the long stems and cement way down in my bone. Surgery should take 4 hours.

I cried all the way home today.

:console2:
Bonnie,
I am sad to hear you have to have another revision, facing a second revision sounds daunting.:boohoo:
I am glad you have some answers and a solution for all the challenges you have had with your knee.
Oh my, were you allergic to nickel all along or did you develop the allergy with the first TKR, or it is something we just will never know?
Sending positive thoughts your way.

Dealing with my own fears and problems yet nothing compared to what you are dealing with. What a horrible result. I don't blame you for crying. Sending good thoughts.

Gilina

Oh Bonnie! :console2:
No wonder you cried.

Let's hope that this new revision will be the one that does the trick. :prayer::angel:

I am so sorry for all your troubles. I hope this time they get it all right so you can get on with your life. After all, they say the third time is the charm...

Oh my goodness, you have gone through so much and now this. I really feel for you and don't blame you for crying. I would be devastated at that news. But now you know and now you have a plan to fix it. That is good news. I hope all goes well with the surgery in November.

Bonnie, I'm sad and relieved at the same time. It certainly sounds like this may be the answer to why you've been having so many problems after surgery. Sometimes it helps to cry and get the emotions out when life isn't fair. But I hope you can see that this may finally get you into real recovery. It's going to be a good thing!!

You have a caring doctor who has put new eyes on the situation and found something no one else suspected. This is a blessing. You're a strong woman and I know you can face this challenge just like you went bravely into the other surgeries. It will just take some time to process it all and begin to focus on the good things that hopefully will finally come your way. In the meantime, lean on us. We will be here for you!

Sending mega ((((HUGS)))) and four pots full of Kansas sunflowers to brighten your spirit!
upload_2015-10-5_22-52-7.png
upload_2015-10-5_22-52-17.png
upload_2015-10-5_22-52-26.png
upload_2015-10-5_22-52-54.png

I lurk but have never posted on your thread. I'm terribly sorry you have to go through all of this. Did your OS specify which implant you'll get this time?

I lurk but have never posted on your thread. I'm terribly sorry you have to go through all of this. Did your OS specify which implant you'll get this time?
I know that my tibia implant will be titanium with some kind of modification (I forget what he called it) but due to the fact that I have lost bone each surgery in my tibia...some kind of bracing, and the femur components will be ceramic coated.

When I email them they get right back to me so as I have questions I just send a message. Anyone have any suggestions as to questions I should ask? I was pretty much in shock yesterday.

Bonnie,
Amazed they get right back to you, you have found a great office.
Ask about the modification, how long in hospital, how is going to address your arthrofibrosis, and cut down on bleeding in the joint.
If I think of more I will post them.
You sound better today, being in shock is normal, it was the last thing you expected.
:friends:

Bonnie,
Amazed they get right back to you, you have found a great office.
Ask about the modification, how long in hospital, how is going to address your arthrofibrosis, and cut down on bleeding in the joint.
If I think of more I will post them.
You sound better today, being in shock is normal, it was the last thing you expected.
:friends:
I asked about the hospital stay today. 2 or 3 days depending on how I do. They say the reason I have such a problem with Arthofibrosis is because of the metal allergy. My knee is inflamed 24/7, continually trying to heal itself and thus producing scar tissue. They said the loose tibia implant is due to chronic inflammation. The lower part of the stem was lit up like a Christmas tree on the bone scan. Good news is there is no infection.

I was very sad that the doctor and his assistants said they could not make my legs the same length again. They have to use the same size components to fit my already stretched ligaments. That made me cry a lot too, because I have to be crooked forever with my hip and lower back hurting. Yes I have a prescription made orthotic heel lift, but it's not perfect. :boohoo:

Bonnie,
I deal with a leg length discrepancy, then my pelvis rotates or something and there goes the adjustment. So Frustrating :tantrum2:.
Ask him if he will do a full length x ray after you have settled down from your revision, that way you will know exactly how much it is. Start correcting at 50%, then it is trial and error from there.
Here is one that can be fine tuned, 1/16" increments. It is a max adjustment of about a 1/2".
http://www.theinsolestore.com/clearly-adjustable-heel-lifts.html

Chris, my Physical Therapist says my pelvis rotates then I get lower back pain in my SI joint. I will have to get my leg length re evaluated after my surgery to see if a better adjustment can be made. Thanks for pointing that out to me. The same orthotics may not work any more...even though they only work somewhat now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read through all 115 pages and followed your progress thread in about 10 days, very sorry for your suffering during past 5 years, and admire your courage and efforts try to rectify it. I am also glad for your finding the cause and get a OS you trust. Sad for few days, and I know you will pick up from there to get the revision done. And it will eventually give you good strong knee and bring an end to your suffering. Hug.

@Birdy Wow...that is quite a feat! You read though my thread. Thank you! Thank you for telling me that and thank you for your kind words :console2:

Bonnie,
Stress also flares up my SI joint, most frustrating, just when you need it the least, there it is. :badspidy:
Hope you are feeling better today after receiving all this news. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier
Recent bookmarks