TKR Nettie's knee - underestimated this surgery

@nettie 10 weeks is still early days in what can be a year long process. You are doing just fine on your ROM. Please don't get upset about not being at a particular number. You will indeed continue to progress. You are doing great!

I was freezing for the first 8 weeks it was bone chilling. I did find out I was slightly anemic but not enough to take iron. I am back to normal in that department. My only issue is the swelling and stiffness. The OS said it is normal for swelling to last six months to a year. Like everyone says don’t fret about the ROM it will come. Take care and good luck!

It may not seem like it but you really are doing fine. I think many of us underestimated this surgery/recovery, I sure did!

Thanks for the encouragement @Jaycey , @Gramalita98 and @Jockette !

A question about use of heat. So far I have only used COLD treatment -- an ice machine and ice packs. I have stayed away from heat, thinking it could make swelling/inflammation worse. Not sure if this is true. During PT last week my therapist put a heat pack on my leg while I was doing a stretching exercise. It wasn't right on top of the knee, more on the leg just above the knee.

Is it safe to use heat packs at times... not in place of ice, but at other times????
:what:

It’s safe to use heat as long as it’s not right on the knee, like you did. As you suspected, putting it right on the knee can increase the swelling, and you don’t want that. But heat can be soothing on other areas of your leg.

Nettie,

I have read your thread with great interest as my TKR was August 17. I was wondering what type of pain medication you are using at this point in time? Unfortunately, at my first PT appt my calf muscle ruptured which put my recovery back several weeks. My calf muscle is getting better but I am to return to PT tomorrow . I’m so scared to go! I have decided to only go to PT once a week as I am sure twice a week will be detrimental . I wish you well in your recovery

@Nancan - so nice to hear from someone who had surgery on the same day!! A chill went through my body when I read that you had a torn calf muscle! Ei yi yi yi!!! Yikes!!! I can’t imagine that ON TOP OF the TKR. So sorry that happened to you.

So, pain medicine... I am still taking Percocet, Tramadol, and Tylenol daily. Originally I was on Hydromorphone, which my doctor said was “big guns” and they wanted me off that. I tried to just go with Tramadol but it wasn’t quite cutting it so now I take 5 mg Percocet, one at night and one in the day to get through. I am miserable otherwise. But I know I need to get off the pain meds since I am 10 weeks out. But I still feel like I need it. I read posts from people who stopped pain meds after a couple of weeks and I don’t know how.

Please post and let me know how your PT goes. I understand why you would be nervous about it. My next PT is Thursday and I am always a bit anxious too, although my therapist is always willing to adjust the exercises when I feel it’s too much. Take it easy in your first session.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Hi nettie I'm a little ahead of you with my RTKR August 5th. I'll be 12 weeks out tomorrow.
I think many of us have similar experiences to yours. You'll hear all kinds of advice from everywhere but I've found the most helpful & accurate is here on Bonesmart.
I had that cold period you spoke of. I still get that occasionally but not often.
Concerning PT. I had in home PT for two weeks which was fine. Mostly non weight bearing, stretching type exercises. Then I started outpatient twice/week. I went for 3 weeks. I felt each session set me back. A lot of swelling afterwards, stiffness. I'd rest between visits but next visit would still have swelling which affected flex so of course to get maximum flex the PT would do the infamous push the knee to force additional bend. It would take me days to recover. After one session where I used weights & steps I was all but crippled for the better part of a week! I have the additional challenge of two very bad hips that also need replacement asap. I took a 3 week break from PT. I went back, again they had me doing exercises w weights and they had me at an exercise bar, doing among other things, squats!! With my severely arthritic hips. PT, with all my issues just was not realistic or helpful.
I now do some of the exercises I did with at home PT, and just every day life. I still have some swelling & stiffness depending how much I do but not nearly what it was. I have Oxycodone but rarely take it. Last time maybe 3 weeks ago. My knee now has days where it feels really good. Like I have a lift assist recliner & sometimes when I move the leg rest to the floor & my feet touch the ground, I move both legs under me to stand & often my right knee/leg moves so smoothly I have a moment where I completely forget I had a knee replacement! Its a good feeling.
Flex ranges anywhere from 95 to about 125. Depending on how much I'm on it. I have no worries about flex. You probably shouldn't either. It will come.
On Saturday I was out & about too much. Spent a lot of time on my feet. Often standing in one place for long periods of time. I'm still paying the price for that in both hips & knee. I didn't expect that 12 weeks out but it is what it is.
Don't put too much pressure on yourself. And don't worry about not recovering as quickly as you think you should. I think many of us fall into that trap & the stress of unrealistic expectations just makes things worse. This is a long recovery & setbacks are part of it. This site is a wealth of information & also a great support group!!

@nettie It really sounds to me like you need to give your knee a break for a while. The PT doesn't seem to be helping your knee; on the contrary it seems to be harming you. Maybe it's time to stop the PT and see what happens after spending some time doing a lot of icing and elevating, plus gentle stretches and some walking around.

Because I cannot take any kind of narcotic pain medication, I only had my ice machine to help with any pain I had after my revision. I did receive a miracle in that the strong pain only lasted a little over a week, which was a true miracle as they would have had a hard time keeping my pain levels down otherwise. (after my original TKR I was in a lot of pain for quite a while, so it truly was unexpected that the pain would lower so dramatically and so soon). I did still have pain, just not the agonizing kind, and the ice machine was able to mostly fix that. I iced any time I was sitting or lying down, and I also elevated at the same time. I also iced all night long, every single night. I did absolutely no formal PT; instead I just walked around the house, gradually increasing the time and distance as my knee allowed.

Because PT is not helping your knee, my suggestion is to stop it, at least for now, spend a lot of time icing and elevating, and stop all exercises for now. Walk around regularly, but don't do any marathon walking-just normal daily activities as needed. I suggest you do this for a couple of weeks, and then look back and see where you are as compared to now.

Oh, and don't forget to keep a cloth between your skin and the icing mechanism at all times; you can safely ice for long periods of time as long as you don't forget this.

Thank you @Abbylayla for such a great message of support. It's wonderful to hear from someone who is a little ahead of me in recovery, but not too far ahead that they have forgotten what 10 weeks feels like.

Overall, I realize things are getting better. I know I can do more now than I could a few ago. Even with ROM improvement being minimal, I can sleep better, get around better, and feel more like myself.

I see my surgeon in a couple of weeks, and between now and then will just be patient without whatever progress my body chooses to make. I am pursuing a 'middle of the road' path... still going to PT at least once a week, but not overdoing it. I try to bend my knee as much as possible during normal movement... walking around, doing things in the house, etc.

I went out on Sunday, and it was one of my longest outings. Had to ride in a car 45 minutes each way, and then sit in regular chairs for more than an hour (no recliner or way to elevate). I was able to do it. But as soon as I got home it was ice and elevation. I wouldn't have been able to do that a few weeks ago.

Continued good healing to you, and thank you :)

Thank you @lovetocookandsew. I will continue the icing and maybe even ice more often. I am already icing 3-4 times each day, but maybe I should do it more. It's hard when I already feel chilled to the bone because of a strange coldness that runs through me often, but I know how important the icing is, so I do it anyway.

I am on the fence about the PT. At this point I think once a week is OK for me, as long as I keep it to gentle exercises and no forced pushing. They wanted me to do the dreaded "wall slide" - you guys must know what this is - and I did it a couple of times earlier on in my recovery and I just cried, so I knew it was not the right thing to do. Now I won't do it and my PT accepts that.

Mostly though, I am following your advice of keeping it to normal daily activities. That seems to work best.

I see from your signature that you have a surgery coming up on November 19th and I wish you the very best. Hope you recover well and have a good outcome. I see also you've had numerous procedures on your right knee, so you've really been through it! Your insight is valuable! Thank you :)

Just to let you know that we here are with you and certainly understand what you are going through.

nettie I went out for dinner at around 3 weeks. Like you said, sitting in a regular chair, no means to elevate......
Let's just say it was not among the smartest things I've ever done. I paid dearly

Very pleased about a breakthrough today in my physical therapy, I was able to pedal the recumbent exercise bike in a FULL CIRCLE on my own! It took 10 weeks to get here, but finally reached this milestone. What a wonderful feeling to reach a milestone that shows I am healing and regaining function. Not even worried today about what number I'm at for ROM. I can pedal a bike in a full circle! Wasn't thrilled to get out of bed at the crack of dawn and go to PT on a cold, rainy day, but it was worth it. :)
:yes!:

Yay! That is such good news! That's another milestone you have reached with more to come.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom