Nervously Counting Down to Left Hip Replacement (followed by R knee)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxMom

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone, 4 weeks remaining until my left hip replacement on October 7. I will then have my right knee replace on November 17. As the days grow nearer, I am wondering what I got myself into. Both the knee and hip have suddenly gotten more painful and hard to get around on. I worry that my 'good leg' after surgery is the one with the terrible knee! Not sure how well it will support me. Would love some advice from anyone who did 2 in a row. It seems pretty daunting right now! Thanks!

Welcome@laxmom ! Have you also posted on the knee side? Increase your chances :)

I will tag @tashia , who has had all four replaced, tho I don't know what order/timing. It seems to me one of the mods or advisors has had both. One of them will be along shortly to give you an official welcome!

I'm thinking, no matter how weirdly you may have to get around during early recovery, at the end of a year it will all be forgotten in your joy at the things you'll be doing pain-free! Actual mobility will come FAR sooner than that, of course! :) :)

My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!

:)Hello! I am up for left hip replace on Oct. 1st... just three weeks now... I had both knees done a year ago June 2013 at the same time. The new knees are such a blessing!:happydance: Totally am PAIN FREE. I am hoping that having my worst hip( the left) done now and the right hip done down the road shortly will help me have more flexibility and movement. I am so stiff from the hips not flexing that I can not fully enjoy my knees.

The whole thing is pretty daunting isn't it? Even haven gone though the knee replacement I still have jitters. This board was a blessing to me going through months of healing and rehab with my knees.. So use all the information, ask questions and share your feelings and fears. We can do it together!:friends: Joan

Thank you both! I am getting added to the November knee board, but was not sure how to post this on both sides. I do appreciate the pep talk. After decades of arthritis (started for me at age 12) I cannot even imagine what pain free joints will feel like. :)

welcome 81.jpg
@LaxMom, so pleased that you've joined us here on the forum. I need to check surgery dates with you. In your first post here you indicate that your knee will be done Nov. 17; but on the Nov. surgery list for knees forum, you say Nov. 18. Please just let me know which date is correct. Thanks!

Oops, sorry, it is Tuesday, November 18th.

laxmom, I just got my appointment for my pre OP physical and talk with my surgeons assistant for this Friday Sept 12th.....so it is becoming more real now as October 1st ( surgery)looms just weeks ahead. I have a list of questions to ask the assistant. Be sure you write down any questions you have prior to surgery.

Best of luck on your pre-op and surgery - you are the first of us! I have pre-op on Monday the 15th. On that day I go to a hip class as well as blood donation and multiple diagnostic tests. Long day! Thanks for the tip to write down questions. Sounds like a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@LaxMom I had RTHR in May and will have BTKR on September 17, so you're not far behind me. My hip recovery went very well- I was very compliant and followed all instructions from OS as well as Bonesmart mantras. I'm actually looking forward to next week - it's been a very long time since my knees haven't ruled my life. Let us know if you have questions!

@LaxMom , you will be about 6 weeks out from your THR when you have your knee replaced. At 6 weeks mobility is usually fairly good so I would not worry about getting around on that new hip. Stamina is a big issue with all this joint replacement so expect that issue and rest when you can. In any case, 2 major surgeries so close together means you will need lots of rest!

Thanks for the great advice, Jaycey. It does seem from what I have read that rest is key. Glad to know my hip should be in good shape for the knee replacement. My biggest worry if my bad right knee will support me during the first few weeks after the hip surgery. I guess I will just need to be careful. Finished up pre-op and self blood donation earlier this week. Almost to the 2 week count down. I am starting to feel a lot calmer and just looking forward to feeling better!

I am sure you will be using a walker or crutches during your recovery. They will help stabilise you and keep some of the pressure off that knee.

@LaxMom...Good luck in your surgery. I am having my surgery the same day. Thoughts and prayers being sent your way. See you on the other side.

@xtina16405 good luck on your surgery too. I will be thinking and praying for you as well. We are in the car and on the way to the hospital. I am feeling excited and ready. Let's do this!!!

To @xtina16405 and @LaxMom - Best wishes on your surgery and smooth, swift recovery. We'll be here for you on the other side.

Thank you. Doing great. Already walked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties