Revision TKR Scared about surgery

DEL2021Feb-17

senior
It seems odd for me to be nervous and worried considering the revisions I have had all on the same knee. It only makes sense there is a certain amount of bone loss with each revision not to mention what's involved with taking the revision out. While a TKR is not exactly a simple operation I think this time its going to be more involved. My guess recovery is going to take longer?? The other concern worried about infection having been thru that after 4th revision I can assure everyone its no fun. I was also told having been thru one infection already the odds of getting another are greater then someone who has never had one. Yes next surgery is 60 days away but the what ifs have me worried.

There are "what ifs" to any procedure. Just because it may be possible does not mean you will have that experience. Unfortunately surgeons have to go through all the possibilities with you. Try and stay positive (easier said than done, I know).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!! I am driving myself nuts for no reason. It just stinks after having so many surgeries and then having to go thru yet another one. At one point I thought okay I should have no more problems ( well that was wrong ) now I have fingers crossed that hopefully this time I get some improvement as opposed to needing another surgery every 2 to 3 years. One thing is for sure I know what to expect after surgery ( what a way to start the New Year ).

I can’t believe there is someone with more revisions than me! I am curious as to why you have had so many? I had what I hope is my last one last Feb. but now need another to fix my stretched LCL. Scheduled for 1/22/21. But the good news is the hardware is in good shape per the last checkup. Hope it stays that way because I don’t think there is enough bone left. My first revision was due to cementless TKR loosening. Not sure what happened with the others. One was said to be due to a nickel allergy but my new doctor said that was wrong since my left has nickel and is great (but need a new prosthetic knee cap so doing both at once). I am so sorry about the infection, heard that is horrible to go through. Will pray it does not happen!

I wish I was bragging about the # of surgeries I have had on the left knee but having had 19 which include 6 totals and 1 revision of last total ( done last Dec ) this whole situation flat out stinks. Since last Dec. I was doing okay until the summer and little by little pain and swelling has increased on left side of left knee. My surgeon has told me considering the amount of surgeries I have had my LCL is shot and if I need another surgery a hinged knee is next. That was in August since then everyday I deal with pain some days worse than others. It use to be every once in awhile the knee would give out ( I will not allow myself to fall and it looks like I tripped when it happens ) now its daily. 3 weeks ago had a CT scan and it confirmed what surgeon thought unfortunately only real solution is the hinged knee but as he told me they tend to wear out faster then a normal TKR due to how its designed. My response I would rather have 2 or 3 decent years then the rubbish I am dealing with now. So while I am nervous concerning this upcoming surgery also hopeful some of the issues I am dealing with get better?? As far as knee infection trust me you may think knee surgeries stink an infection makes those seem like nothing. I hope your knee does better then mine.

I know how it feels to think each surgery is the magic one, and will finally fix all the issues, only to find out you have another issue related to the knee and need another surgery. I'm in the exact same boat, even though the problem is different in my case, and am going through the same fears and stresses. My next surgery is less than three weeks away and I'm dreading the entire process.

Let's hope this next time is the charm for you so you can put it all behind you and begin the process of taking your life back!

Hello again.

I'm sorry you have to have yet another surgery on your left knee.

You say that your surgery is 60 days away. Please will you tell us the date, so we can add it to your signature?

I do understand how you're nervous. You've been through this so often that you know all about the potential complications. But do try to remember that complications are only potential. They're not inevitable.

I know that @Pumpkln has a hinged knee and she is happy with it. I'll ask her to come and talk to you.

By the way, since your surgery isn't for some time yet, I have moved your thread from the Recovery area to the Pre-Op area.

If you want me in pre-op that is fine but I can also be in post-op as well since last surgery was Dec.13 does not matter either or. Surgery # 20 Hinged knee replacement is scheduled for Dec. 31st ( any ideas on how I will be celebrating the NEW YEAR??? ) As far as Pumpkin I have already reached out to her if I can get 6 years out with this next surgery WOW!! as it stands on average 2-3 not real good. Some may not know what to expect following surgery from when you wake up in recovery room to finally being able to do normal things I do could probably write a book. Not looking forward to what I will be dealing with once surgery is done.

I am going strong at 6 1/2 years with my hinged knee, with many more expected. My knee looked great on the last x ray taken in September.
Not surprised you are nervous, I sure would be :yikes:, but at the same time aware that it is the only way forward.
I agree, we all know all to well what those first few weeks are like during early healing, challenging to say the least. :elevate:

Hoping maybe somebody may have a suggestion I am not aware of right now knee is not doing well. Currently I use an ice pack several times a day ( currently have one on ) take a pain pill 5mg Oxycodone when needed ( just took one ) I use either Diclofenac or Voltaren cream ( same thing ) frequently, pain Dr. started me on 5mg Butran patch approx 2 weeks ago ( put new one on every week, on 2nd patch ) so far no difference as far as patch goes. In the past tried these Tylenol, wear a brace ( could not wear it due to pain and swelling left side of left knee ) heat aggravates, Gabapentin, maybe a couple others but no improvement. As of now only thing that helps pain pill ( only when pain is bad ) ice and the Cream. So while I have been thru the grinder with this POS knee maybe I am missing something that I have not tried or heard of trying so please anyone that has had or currently having ongoing knee issues any ideas??

If you want me in pre-op that is fine but I can also be in post-op as well since last surgery was Dec.13 does not matter either or. Surgery # 20 Hinged knee replacement is scheduled for Dec. 31st ( any ideas on how I will be celebrating the NEW YEAR??? )
If you want to continue in your existing recovery thread, that's fine, but you did start a new thread, which I moved to Pre-Op.

Your existing recovery thread is here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/update.62536/
It would probably be a good idea to update that thread with what is going on and why you need another revision. Then we can continue talking on that thread about what is planned.

You have more reason than most to be apprehensive about another surgery, but I really hope that this time, the hinged knee proves to be the solution that works well and for all time.

PS: Thank you for your surgery date.

Whatever you prefer is fine with me, it really does not matter. Since I live alone for the most part except when son and daughter come over this forum gives me a chance to vent frustrations out with the possibility some will offer a word or two of encouragement. Right now there are a lot of why me questions and no real answers for any of them. It bugs the heck out of me that there are many that have maybe 1 scope for a torn meniscus and at a later date a TKR and they are done no more issues and yes at some point they have to get the other knee done but still why me?? how did I wind up this garbage. Sorry just frustrated nervous etc etc.

Vent away! It's fine with us. We're here to to support you and it's often easier to vent to us than to your family.

It's totally understandable that you feel "why me?" I would too. Fate, Karma, whatever-you-call-it is a fickle, illogical, and unfair thing. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it.

I have a son who has inherited all the health problems, while my other children are fit and healthy. He has asthma, eczema, a bleeding disorder and a psychiatric disorder. 20 years ago, he also had an accident and had to have his leg amputated above the knee. He's a permanent invalid and his quality of life is less than my other children have. He does his best and we support him as much as we can.

This is the perfect place to hold a pity party when you need to. Believe me, I expect to need to after the surgery, for sure! We'll be supportive, caring, offer suggestions, and maybe a tiny amount of tough love (at least, that's what I hope I get!)

This has been "entertaining", this year 2020. I just got done having surgery for retinal detachment (for those who haven't had the "pleasure", the pain isn't so bad, but "posturing" (i.e., being planted face-down or on your side for 50 minutes of every hour) and having a gas bubble in your eye that you can only see blurs and colors through gets old REALLY fast. We thought I was going to have to have a second round with even longer posturing and longer lasting bubble in my eye, but that bullet appears to have been dodged, for now. Then my knee decided to disintegrate.

It's not my first goat rodeo with a crappy year, though: a different year, I had open-abdominal surgery and subsequent infection issues, a hernia repair, and appendectomy all within a 6 month span.

Trust me, I've done my fair share of venting, I definitely understand!

Hi, I am 14 days post op for right total knee.

All you can do is make sure the best surgeon is doing the revision and go with it. I will be thinking of you.

Some who have had revisions may have been the result from the implant itself failing or possibly a fault from the surgeon?? In my case every surgeon I have had have excellent reputations, there have been a couple while their reputation was excellent their people skills stunk ( had a Dr. who felt he did a great job after fixing a torn meniscus that the pain I was feeling was in my head. I walked out. The surgeon who did my 3rd TKR flat out told me he was not going to do anything for me I would just have to deal with it and I did but after 18 months it was too much ). With those two exceptions I have had great surgeons so once again why?? I really want to think this next surgery will be it but odds are doubtful. Some here have no idea what to expect following surgery really wish I didn't and I am not looking forward to it. 58 days to go!! YUCK

Question concerning walking continue or stop? Last time I spoke to the surgeon he did not seem to mind that I am walking and from what I have been told by numerous Dr.'s, therapists etc. its good to continue to walk keeps the knee mobile. So here is my problem yes I get it you walk too far after surgery go figure if it drives you nuts afterwards well what about now, I am 10 months out and less then 2 months from next TKR I am walking just about everyday and try to do on average 2 to 3 miles ( mostly 2 - 2.5 ). Not walking fast just taking my time but whether its a half a mile or 2.5 miles pain wise after its the same blah bad yuck etc. Starting next Saturday going back to PT the idea maybe by getting it stronger may help following surgery. Almost think thats pointless considering how much I walk you would think by now the knee would be feeling better any opinions?

I'd be inclined to just keep up with the walking. Walking is the best exercise of all for knees.

Maybe go for an assessment at PT, to see if your leg has any muscle weakness and, if it does, ask for a few gentle exercises to strengthen those specific muscles.

What you need to avoid is being given a list of standard exercises that only serve to increase pain and swelling.

Keeping the knee mobile is great. But I think walking also addresses your mental health as well. You are facing more surgery. That's a major stress. Gentle exercise is good for your outlook. Don't push to do the distance. Just what is comfortable for you now.

I agree with Celle - gentle exercises for your particular needs. Not anything standard. PT should never be "one size fits all".

Not to be silly but the way the knee feels trust me I doubt I can make it hurt worse!! Better not say that with my luck I probably can. As far as walking goes its just a walk no speed behind it in fact I see others in their 70's walk faster then me. This whole ordeal makes zero sense some days I do too much and I pay for it some days the weather is bad rainy or a change coming and I pay for it there are some days when for no reason at all and I still pay for it. Was telling my son there is going to be a time right after surgery when I am going to wish the knee felt like this!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom