THR Nervous

Grammy57

senior
Country
United States United States
Well, I saw the other Dr in the practice, the Dr that does hip replacements. He looked over my old records and took more x-rays. He said that the rim of the cartilage was in good shape but that I had spots in the inner part that was bone on bone. The microfracture I had done didn't seem to be helping. He pushed on my upper thigh, one spot was tender, like a bruise, the other spot didn't hurt at all. Not sure why that was done.
He didn't tell me much, just that whenever I was ready he'd do a hip replacement. I was then scheduled for Dec 5. He wants to do it as out-patient and with the anterior approach.
Does all of this sound normal? I have pain in my groin at times but it is more located towards the lateral side on the front extending to the true lateral and the in my upper buttocks. Sometimes it hurts totally across the upper thigh. But, what is worse is that I never know when my hip will feel like it locks up or when the shooting pain will stab my thigh and buttock. I guess that's why I've agreed to the surgery. :)
Thank you for letting me ramble on. If anything I've said makes sense or seems off, please let me know. Mostly, is outpatient surgery normal

Pain can be anywhere around the actual joint. Sounds like you are ready! I had similar pains. Getting out of a car was when most of the shooting pain happened and I tried to devise ways to get around it.
Dec5? If you have plans for holiday cooking or baking your freezer is you best friend. You won't want to do that anytime soon after surgery.

From what I’ve read on the forum over the last several years, pain isn’t always necessarily in your hip. Also, different people are in pain at different stages of the OA. The first OS I went to told me he’d had a patient a few days earlier than was not as bad as mine and that patient was begging for a hip replacement. I wasn’t quite ready to make that decision at that time plus I eventually chose a different OS. As far as the out patient idea, I cannot comment as I spent one night in the hospital. If you have any doubts at all, you might consider consulting with a second OS. It would give you a lot more peace of mind about the whole thing, especially about the out patient part. It all depends on where you live as to whether there is more than one good OS available. You want to be sure you use someone who has done lots of hip replacements and done them with success. My OS did about 500 hip/knee replacements a year so had lots of experience. Sending you wishes for peace of mind and a successful surgery. The surgery truly changes your life for the better.

I have groin pain, pain in buttock at times (I use a heating pad for this and it makes it feel better though it does not go away), pain down the thigh inner side and outer depending on the mood of the hip and down the leg at times including knee which has been replaced but the pain will be right below the knee joint itself.

I also cannot comment on outpatient surgery for hips as I too spent one night in the hospital. This worked for me as I was sure pain control was working and I then had to do some PT in hospital to make sure I was safe to go home (walking, stairs, getting on and off a bed, getting into a car). This worked for me especially as I live 1.5hrs away from hospital. I have seen others on the site that had the surgery as out patient so it is doable.

All sounds normal to me. If that hip is locking up it's time for it to go!
Mostly, is outpatient surgery normal
This is fairly new but becoming an trend. Not everyone is a candidate for this approach. If you are worried have a good discussion with your surgeon so that you know what to expect. On the day do not feel pressured to leave the hospital until you feel comfortable and your pain is well controlled.

I just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery. I am scheduled for Oct 23rd myself and will be spending one night in the hospital. I think I am more comfortable with the idea of being in the hospital overnight for pain management. So I guess maybe think about your comfort level, everyone is different. I have pain both in my hip joint, and also some SI type pain and my knee is affected. Like others have said paid is different for each person.

If you have plans for holiday cooking or baking your freezer is you best friend. You won't want to do that anytime soon after surgery.
How long until I will feel up to doing things?? I know you can't give me a specific length as all are different but in general?
Thanks and best wishes for a good outcome for your surgery.

All sounds normal to me. If that hip is locking up it's time for it to go!
Mostly, is outpatient surgery normal
This is fairly new but becoming an trend. Not everyone is a candidate for this approach. If you are worried have a good discussion with your surgeon so that you know what to expect. On the day do not feel pressured to leave the hospital until you feel comfortable and your pain is well controlled.
I did talk to the scheduler and told her I wanted to have the option of spending the night if needed. I live 90 minutes from the hospital and I'm sure the ride won't be fun. :/. This Dr also does some surgeries at a surgery center but since I asked for the option of an overnight stay (and I wake up slowly also) my surgery WILL be in the hospital. That gives me peace of mind.

I just wanted to wish you luck for your surgery. I am scheduled for Oct 23rd myself and will be spending one night in the hospital. I think I am more comfortable with the idea of being in the hospital overnight for pain management. So I guess maybe think about your comfort level, everyone is different. I have pain both in my hip joint, and also some SI type pain and my knee is affected. Like others have said paid is different for each person.
I did get scheduled for the hospital and that gives me more peace. I am slow to wake so I'm not sure how I'll feel and I won't know the time of surgery until the day before. For the arthroscope, it was 8 am and they did keep me overnight though it wasn't in the original plan to stay over. I just want the option if needed.

I was baking and cooking after three weeks but there is no normal time; others are sooner perhaps but it seems the most later. For me I could not play in the kitchen with crutches or a cane
You will just have to wait and see but the wisest would be to bake and freeze now
After surgery you will be hit with an energy drain that makes you really tired in the day and you may not sleep well at night
7 weeks post op I had a whop of one today so I went and laid down and rested watching one of my favorite shows The Great British Baking Show while muttering to self "no way" could I make ANY of those baked goods.
Up and doing things? Well i went to the market some seven times in the first two weeks but I had a handicap placard a driver and a motorized scooter and no admonition from the OS not to go out. mostly I sat in the scooter and directed my "staff"

@Grammy57 Hi!
Yes the trend for the carefully selected patient is no overnight stay, for some hip procedures. I live 3 hours away so my surgeon had said he might keep me an extra night. I am hoping to have surgery this early winter.
The visit was so fast, I'm not sure how I was "carefully selected". I guess it could have been on my previous records, but that should have shown I stayed overnight after my "outpatient" arthroscope. Anyway, it is now scheduled at the hospital and I have the possibility of an overnight stay. I explained I wanted to stay one night if the pain was too much for me.

I was baking and cooking after three weeks but there is no normal time; others are sooner perhaps but it seems the most later. For me I could not play in the kitchen with crutches or a cane
You will just have to wait and see but the wisest would be to bake and freeze now
After surgery you will be hit with an energy drain that makes you really tired in the day and you may not sleep well at night
7 weeks post op I had a whop of one today so I went and laid down and rested watching one of my favorite shows The Great British Baking Show while muttering to self "no way" could I make ANY of those baked goods.
Up and doing things? Well i went to the market some seven times in the first two weeks but I had a handicap placard a driver and a motorized scooter and no admonition from the OS not to go out. mostly I sat in the scooter and directed my "staff"
I like the "directed my staff" part. I was totally non-weight bearing with the 'scope in Feb for 6 weeks. That was hard, plus having to wear the brace. They said I could walk the same day with a walker if I needed it and that I could progress to a cane or nothing as soon as I was ready. I guess we'll wait and see. Thankfully I've never been much for baking, that's my daughter's forte :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Grammy57
I know one surgeon I saw required a BMI of 25 or less to do a mini-posterior surgery. It’s a formula using your height and weight. Maybe you can ask his staff how he qualified you? Does your doctor use a patient portal for e-mail messages so you can ask him?

HI @Grammy57 My OS is big on the out patient surgery idea, but he assured me that it wasn't a competition on who can can and can't handle it. I ft in the "I can't" category. Mainly due to having low blood pressure each time.
I didn't even try to attempt it. By the next morning I was ready and able to handle the car ride home.. which was about 45 minutes.
I bet they won't kick you out if you aren't up to leaving the same day.

I have pain in my groin at times but it is more located towards the lateral side on the front extending to the true lateral and the in my upper buttocks. Sometimes it hurts totally across the upper thigh. But, what is worse is that I never know when my hip will feel like it locks up or when the shooting pain will stab my thigh and buttock.

I had a hip like yours, it would give out at odd times, started aching deeply, and keeping me from sleeping but wasn't bone grinding daily pain with it being in the same locations you mentioned. I think that hip needs to go!
Good luck with your decision making. December 8 will be here before you know it and you have plenty of reading material here on this site to help you wait.

:hi:
Anyway, it is now scheduled at the hospital and I have the possibility of an overnight stay. I explained I wanted to stay one night if the pain was too much for me.
Glad you have some peace of mind now that you won't be feeling like you're having a drive-thru THR:giggle:

The visit was so fast, I'm not sure how I was "carefully selected"
I think some considerations are if they feel like you are motivated, have support at home, and do not have any underlying health issues.
I had all these things in my favor but would've been too anxious to go home so early.
I was anxious when they sent me home after 2 nights, but home was definitely a better place to get comfortable, take meds regularly, and relax and heal.
You are going to do great!

@Grammy57
I know one surgeon I saw required a BMI of 25 or less to do a mini-posterior surgery. It’s a formula using your height and weight. Maybe you can ask his staff how he qualified you? Does your doctor use a patient portal for e-mail messages so you can ask him?
Yes, I have started asking questions. I see they have me scheduled for the hospital instead of the surgery center. That makes me feel more at ease. I now have options. :)

HI @Grammy57 My OS is big on the out patient surgery idea, but he assured me that it wasn't a competition on who can can and can't handle it. I ft in the "I can't" category. Mainly due to having low blood pressure each time.
I didn't even try to attempt it. By the next morning I was ready and able to handle the car ride home.. which was about 45 minutes.
I bet they won't kick you out if you aren't up to leaving the same day.
No, I don't think they will either. When my pain was too bad after the arthroscope they kept me overnight. It was amazing the difference of one night.

I have a new question. Did you do pre-op exercises? My surgeon gave me 6 to do 3x a day. To strengthen my upper thigh muscles. Thanks.

Not me:umm:
I was actually told for my circumstance - endstage OA - it wouldn't be helpful and likely I wouldn't have been able to do them anyway without terrible difficulty.
I hurt after just walking around all day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back