Nervous newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutters

Country
United States United States
hi. I’m getting my 1st tkr on 10/3 and getting scared, so I’m glad to find this support. I’m 60, live alone with 2 yorkies. Other knee due to be replaced next year.

Welcome to the forums! You'll find a lot of excellent support and information here.

I was so nervous before my first replacement. I asked all the questions and read just about every article I could find.

The best thing I did was follow some recovery stories and listen to real people as they were going through the same experience. The friends I've made here have made this journey a lot easier. I'm now in recovery for the 2nd knee.

Thanks, everyone. I have a neighbor my age 2 doors down who had her surgery last week, and she advised me that the first week is rather challenging. But as Roy said, it only gets better. I’m glad I found this group!

Welcome! Lots of us here to answer questions.

Last edited:
Hello @tutters - and :welome:

Here is some reading, to hep you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Hi Tutters, you've come to the right place.
Challenging? Yes
Worth it? Yes.

Is there any aspect of this you are particularly scared of?

Welcome aboard! We've all been through it so please ask any questions you have now and as you recover.

Having my 2nd TKR this wed. 9/25 and I'm starting to get nervous. My first one went well no problems so I'm hoping for the same with this knee.
Ice your knee take your meds when told you will be so happy when you can walk again without pain. Read everyone's post and all the info.

Thanks everyone. Surgery is 3 days. I think I’m most scared of the first week. I’ve heard the pain is really awful.

I won't say the pain isn't bad. But with proper medication and a lot of icing, it's manageable, and that part passes quickly. And then you'll be on your way to a better life.

I've done it twice this summer! Now I have a matched set. It is worth everything!

Yes, there will be pain, but it should be controlled to a bearable level.

I do wish people wouldn't scare others with tales of dreadful pain.

So far, so good. 9 days post-surgery. The pain wasn’t as bad as I feared, although pt does make it hurt—sometimes a lot. The hardest thing to get used to is basically being home bound. overall, I’m glad I did this.

You can all now follow tutters on her Recovery Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member