TKR Nervous & Lost

Bishop

Country
United States United States
Hi all! Not long now, 10 days. I'm so busy and overwhelmed w work and meetings and trying to get everything done before surgery 2/3/21that I don’t have time to breathe.The day before surgery is so booked up with stuff. I am also in so much pain that being forced to DO so much right now and on my own that it is taking so much out of me. I’m nervous about entering into the day of surgery absolutely exhausted.An example is I had to do a huge shop to stock up on the things I need, including much heavy lifting items over 20 lbs, carry it in through snow and ice ( why not right ) after a 12 hour work shift. I’m cleaning and putting non slip bath strips in bath tub ( bending that I “ can’t do”,and do anyway) and moving furniture to make my “ nests “, oh well..it’s getting done. I guess I’m a warrior! All my labs and appointments are this week, but when I asked about meeting with anesthetist or talking with someone about getting the things I need like shower seat or transfer seat, ice machine, Walker, will I go home with them, will I get them when I get home, are they prescribed items, do I have to pay out of pocket etc?? But they said they make no appointments to discuss this, they said I ll find out when I get home and some one will be scheduled to stop by the apartment. So I guess I’ll just believe all will work out. This forum has helped it makes me not feel so alone. Thank You

You sound like a busy bee. Sorry for the pain you’re enduring as you create your recovery nest. While it’s understandable you’re exhausted, staying busy most likely helps keep the anxiety level lower. :fingersx: Not long now until you’ll be resting comfortably at home and the healing will begin.

I asked about meeting with anesthetist or talking with someone about getting the things I need like shower seat or transfer seat, ice machine, Walker, will I go home with them, will I get them when I get home, are they prescribed items, do I have to pay out of pocket etc??

Can your surgeons office give you this info over the phone? If not, ask them to direct you to someone that can answer your questions before you show up at your surgery site. You will need a walker to get home and an ice source once back home also, whether it be a machine or the gel pads you freeze.

Good luck with your pre-op appointments this week.
Wishing you comfort as you await your date. :)

Hi, First of all good luck on 2/3 with your surgery. I had my tkr on 1/20/21 and I also felt nervous and overwhelmed. I also had trouble finding out what I would need, it can be frustrating. I was told that I would get everything I needed from the hospital and I did receive most of what I needed. They gave me a walker , Ted stockings, ice knee compression wrap and said if you wanted a ice machine they would check if your insurance would cover it. But you had to ask about that. My daughter had a cryo cuff so I didn’t bother and I’m using hers. Pt recommended having a bath seat which I happen to also be able to borrow. They also recommended grab bars. It would have been easier if they recommended these things ahead of time. I think part of the problem was that (my hospital anyway) usually holds a knee replacement seminar but due to covid they aren’t doing it right now. They did have a coordinator I could call with questions which was good but you need to know what to ask. Try and use grocery delivery services if they are available to you. It costs a little more but is well worth it right now until your feeling better.
And don’t forget Amazon! They are great for ordering things you need and not actually having to go to the store for. Makes it so much easier. I had Pt at my house the morning after I came home ( which was day two after surgery ) and they went over many things, which was helpful. They also have a nurse come to your house or call you depending on what you need to go over things and leave a number to call with any questions or problems. They really were wonderful! However I don’t know if all hospitals or areas of the country do this. It’s scary but it all seems to fall into place. Try to relax as much as you can so your not exhausted. And forget about things that don’t have to be done. Good luck and be well!

I need like shower seat or transfer seat, ice machine, Walker, will I go home with them, will I get them when I get home, are they prescribed items, do I have to pay out of pocket etc??
It will depend on you insurance, some will pay for these items, others don't. The ice machine is the most expensive. Call your insurance and find out what they will cover.

It sure is a crazy emotional roller coaster these days before surgery isn’t it..... I would go from making lists of questions to second guessing if I want to wait to researching best types of anasthesia to comparing hospitals joint replacement programs and on and on. I wish you didn’t have to be busy in this run up to surgery....
About assistive devices and things needed- the OT visited me In the hospital with all these options and then what’s needed. I was offered to get them there and have the hospital bill my insurance and then bill me my part- or given prescriptions for the things I decided to wait on. Although I think it’s smart to think about before like you are. What about making a list of all questions you can think of. Then looking it over and circling those items you feel particularly anxious and call your clinic and ask for the PA to call or do a virtual appt with you. ? Just a thought.
I am excited for you and will be watching your updates and am here to be a shoulder or just listen.

Last edited:
@Bishop I bought a transfer bench and a commode on Amazon before the surgery as they were not covered by insurance. Well worth the money. They were not expensive. I left the hospital with the walker and cane. Also not covered but not expensive. Buy a non-slip mat for the tub. I bought gel ice packs. The very large one was too heavy on my knee after the surgery. Since I was staying downstairs, (my bedroom is upstairs), for a while, I set up a folding table with everything I would need - underwear, PJs, socks,(non-slip), have a good pair of slippers etc. I stocked up the house with food but I honestly do not think I ate for 6 weeks! And, everyone dropped off soup! I could have opened up a soup kitchen! Have a little table where you will spend most of your time for water to drink, phone, remote, computer, meds, paper and pencil ( I started a note book to write down when I took my meds, questions for nurse, PT, doctor, important phone numbers), and a folder - you will get a lot of paper work. I also put away any rugs that would cause a tripping hazard.
See if your surgeon has a patient services coordinator he/she will be helpful.
Good luck and I wish you a good recovery. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

All great advice!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bishop, I saw your post in Cococay's recovery thread and wanted to respond to you without derailing her thread. You definitely want a toilet seat riser, I bought on the just replaced the regular ring but it was about 4 inches thick. That was still hard for me to use so I ended up buying one that set over the toilet and had arms to help me get up, I would highly recommend something with arms, it helped keep pressure off my knee getting up. I also built a 4" platform for my recliner to sit on so it was easier to get out of as well. Everyone is different but I couldn't sleep in bed for nearly 2 months, I just couldn't find a pain free position. I tried at 6 weeks (my anniversary) and only lasted 90 minutes before I had to move. Others here have been able to sleep in bed from day one, so it's something you will have to try and find what works for you. Being by yourself at first when you get home IS doable, many members have. I admit I really appreciated having someone that would bring my drinks, food and help change the frozen water bottles in my ice machine, just going to the bathroom was more than enough movement for me in the first week or so. Not to bypass the ice machine, it was it was wonderful! My insurance paid for it but when it quit working after about 6 weeks I ordered one on amazon, it was about $130 and well worth it. Hope that helps!

Your answers have helped me very much! Thank You!

^Very true. I can't sleep in my recliner--except for accidental naps. :heehee: I could rig up a nice pillow ramp in bed for elevating.

@Bishop good luck tomorrow. Sending you encouragement and Prayers. I will be waiting for your update after surgery. You got this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks