THR Nervous About Lab Work

Desperate1

Country
United States United States
I'm scheduled to have my left hip replaced on April 12. It's been a long, painful wait and I'm not nervous about the actual surgery at all. Had my right hip replaced five years ago, and my recovery was great. After a couple of weeks, I felt great. The left hip joint has collapsed, and every movement is painful. I desperately need/want the surgery. Every calendar in my house is marked with the countdown of days.

Had my lab work today, and bloodwork, EKG, and chest x-rays were fine. However, my urine results showed the presence of both blood, mucus, and a couple of other things. Of course I read these results after office hours, and I'm totally panicking. A friend of mine who works in a doctor's office thinks it's probably a UTI that can be cleared up with antibiotics, but she's not a nurse. I will be calling the orthopedic office in the morning, of course, but I'm wondering if anyone else had these results? Did it postpone your surgery?

I'm totally miserable from the pain and lack of mobility. My trip to the hospital for labs today was my first outing in more than two weeks. I've lost weight because I have no appetite, and trying to cook is a major ordeal. I can't tolerate the thought of a postponed surgery. I cry most days because of the pain and frustration, and the only thing that has kept me going is counting the days until I am relieved of this pain.

I haven't had a good night's sleep in a long time, and now I'm sick with worry.

Don't stress yourself about the what if's. The biggest thing with the labs is your ticker and your blood work. Anything urine comes out with, is usually a consequence of more minor things and today being 03/24 you would have a lot of time to clear or adjust what you need to. You would be surprised how easy it is to throw off a urine test. You saying you have not been having much luck with your oral intake, could also be throwing off a urine sample.

Don't stress, take it one day at a time and confirm things with your doctor. Until then, don't put your stress into this because you don't know that you should even worry about this. One step at a time.

Thanks for your reply. The culture showed no sign of infection, and the results have been forwarded to the GP. Everything I read pretty much says that blood in the urine isn't usually anything serious, so I'm hoping the GP will give me clearance. I just want my life back.

Hello,
Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I am sorry for the pain you’re enduring and the anxiety you’re feeling over the lab results. Please try not to worry, imagining the worst. Most often these things work out in our favor and hopefully you’ll soon receive the reassurance you’re seeking and be able to concentrate on your upcoming surgery, and getting back to life and all you love.
We‘re here for you so keep us posted. Prayers for a peaceful night and sound sleep. :prayer:
@Desperate1

Wonderful news. Excited for you to be moving forward with this as soon as possible.

Great news @Desperate1 (your name says it all) I remember so well, the waiting and waiting for my surgery date to roll around. I found that the closer I got to the date the faster time passed. I am wishing this for you, too.

I will look forward to reading about your recovery.

It's finally official! The GP faxed my clearance letter to the orthopedist office this morning. I'm hoping that now I can relax and get into a good frame of mind for the upcoming surgery. Thanks to everyone who answered my message.

Wonderful news! Things are looking good and falling into place. I think I misunderstood a post of yours above, I apologize for that. Hopefully you can relax and get excited about the bright future in front of you, losing the pain and getting back to all you love. Not too long to wait now. Wishing you peace and comfort.
@Desperate1

Oh my! Wonderful news for you!
Come on April 12!
Now you can get your recovery things in order.

:hi:One more sleep, and you can get this hip recovery show on the road.:yes!:
We'll see you on the healing side @Desperate1

Hello @Desperate1
Wishing you all the best tomorrow. We’ll be watching for you on the flip side.
See you there soon! :wave:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks