TKR Nervous about having surgery during pandemic

Ohiowomen

Country
United States United States
I had a total left knee replacement in April 2018 with great results! I was schedule to have a total right knee replacement on April 8 2020 was postponed due to Covid 19. At this date it has not been reschedule. I’m concern if this is the best time to go through this in view of what is going on in the world. Part of me thinks to live with the pain for another year. My knee is painful mostly when I walk for more than 30 minutes so I’m limited with exercise I was swimming & that was helpful but now all the pools are close due to Covid 19. Swimming also help me with my recovery 2 years ago. I live in Cleveland Oh & they are saying they will not open any pool facilities up this summer. Is anyone else nervous about having surgery during this pandemic?

I am, I had my first done in Nov 2017 and put off the other one because it wasn't hurting at the time. Now here I am in a lot of pain and some days it's hard to walk. I am confident in our hospital staff that and the fact we have had extremely low numbers here in my county compared to many others and very few actually in the hospital. I need surgery sooner than later, and am waiting on a return call about scheduling. If you can wait with no regard to work/money situations and pain is manageable, I can see waiting. I work in a school, so I need mine while school is out and hopefully recovered enough to go back to work in August sometime.

@Ohiowomen my RTKR was also cancelled and I'm also worried about the COVID. Today in Los Angeles county they just expanded the stay at home order for 3 months. Like you I can walk for very long, so right now I'm biking on a recumbent bike. I would love to have the surgery sooner rather than later but my thoughts are the longer they put it off the safer it might be.

Hi... I was scheduled for RTKR early April, and that was postponed. I got a call late last week from my surgeon asking if I wanted to do it yesterday- and I did!

Fortunately I am a candidate for outpatient surgery, so no hospital worries. I had surgery at 9:15 and was home in my own bed before 2pm.

I felt that this was a good time to have surgery- I was already working from home, aa is my husband. My son has “homeschool” so we don’t have to worry about his schedule either.

I am a little uneasy about going to PT during this time and I’m considering televisits instead.

My personal thought is that COVID is going to be impacting the world for longer than I’m willing to tolerate my knee issues. For me, it was a fairly easy decision to move forward. Come check out my recovery thread on the other board!

Best of luck to you!

@Ohiowomen - I had my bilateral TKR on Mar 16- the day before everything was shut down. In my opinion, it was a great time to have it done. I was prepared to be stuck at home for several months but now I had access to grocery deliveries, restaurant deliveries, & zoom for my church & photography club meetings- things I thought I’d be missing. My recovery has gone incredibly well & I hope yours does too

My surgery was Covid cancelled but when called to reschedule for Monday 18th I jumped on it. No Covid cases in my SF hospital for five weeks and according to leading epidemiologist “we’re in a lull right now”. My favorite Pt will come to my house and outpatient is one person only in the office at a time. Very careful protocols. My knee is killing me and I am so ready! Hope to be biking in a couple of months and skiing again in January—snow and Covid permitting! Not to mention walking the dog and chasing grandkids. Fingers crossed.

Hello,
My BTKR is Thursday. I’m not as worried about the Covid virus itself, but of the fact that no one can be with me at any time during my stay. Mine will probably be two to three days by it’s bilateral. I’m comfortable in hospitals, but haven’t stayed that long in one for many years- like 40- with my first baby! And never with no one to help/visit. Has anyone done this yet?

My thinking is the environments have probably never been cleaner, so our chance of any infection should be low. The worst is that our loved ones can't be there in the facility while it happens. My wife is non too pleased about that. Other than that, I don't think our risks are any different in these Covid-19 times.

I was also scheduled May 11th cancelled due
To covid19 have rescheduled for May 27th. This is my 4th TKR in 20 yrs. I'm nervous how many at 76 yrs old can my body recover from. I'm active work 4 days weekly. Horse ride 3 days wkly. Manage small house. A cat an dog.all provided for during surgery.
However felt very very weak after surgery. Suggestions please . Yes I'm living alone.

Our hospital just made changes and are allowed 1 person per patient to be with them now. We have had super low numbers in my country and our hospitals have had only maybe 6 covid patients at once, different floors and sectioned off from the rest of the place. I think we will see some changes in this around the world if people continue to do what is needed to flatten the curve.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom