• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR nerves are kicking in

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
Hi all. I will be getting my new bionic hip on the 20th of this month. I’m not sure how to feel. I’m nervous/excited at the same time. Do I try and become really fit and lose weight before the surgery? What’s the easiest approach for this physically? Please help if you can! Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
It’s 2 weeks until. Surely losing a few more Kgs would be ideal? If not it’s all good love your feed back and thankyou for having me on here seems like a real treat

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:wave:@mcane21 and welcome to the forum!
The waiting truly can be the hardest part. I tried to just stay positive and replace some of the anxiety with excitement for finally getting rid of horrid hip pain and ever decreasing mobility.... Getting my Life back.

Agree it is close for a date for worrying about weight.
Just eat well..healthy ...and you can concentrate on some upper body strength if you'd like. Easier to move yourself about.
Lots of great folks here in various stages of Wait and Recovery.
Glad to see you found what I consider a very important tool for recovery - Bonesmart!:ok:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
If you can lose a bit, great, but often hard to do if hurting and unable to exercise without pain.
And..Not at the expense of good nutrition to keep your immune system cranking.

Meanwhile, I'll give you the pre-op reading for people having their hips replaced.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
Excellent! I’ll definitely be working upto the point of when I have it done! And thanks so much for the information about post recovery! This will be really beneficial for me afterwards! What a great group. I will be glued to the site for a long time I can tell you! This warms my heart so much!

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
It’s 2 weeks until.
:rotfl: BoneSmart moderator unable to do simple subtraction, you may bear that in mind when evaluating any advice from me... :blush:

Yes losing a bit of weight is pretty much always good (unless you're already slim, of course)
haha thanks Roy! Anyways it’s not really that far off none the less! Im just kind of overlooking every aspect leading up to the surgery.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@mcane21
Which hip will be replaced? Can you add this to your info in the December pre-surgery group and it will be part of your signature.

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
It will be my right hip. At 37 years of age 27 years of basketball will do this!

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
Sorry and I’m still trying to figure out this page as what to attach to my info etc...

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was a very active person too but I think genetics must've played a role in leading to endstage OA in both hips by age 53...according to OS. Must be recessive, noone else in my family has had their hips replaced.:umm:
I had both my hips replaced in May 2017 and have never regretted it.:egypdance:

Last edited:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Sorry and I’m still trying to figure out this page as what to attach to my info etc.
No problem! We will get it fixed up.

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
I was a very active person too but I think genetics must've played a role in leading to endstage OA in both hips by age 53...according to OS. Must be recessive, noone else in my family has had their hips replaced.:umm:
I had both my hips replaced in May 2017 and have never regretted it.:egypdance:
That’s exactly what you want. It’s unfortunate with genetics sometimes but in today’s day and age we have the technology to patch these things up! Glad your feeling fit as a fiddle!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
We are indeed lucky to live in this age of modern medical technology.
The most important muscle you will need to work on after surgery is the Patience muscle....as you will read as you peruse the forum.
Given proper time to heal during the first months will get you back to fit and happy too.

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
We are indeed lucky to live in this age of modern medical technology.
The most important muscle you will need to work on after surgery is the Patience muscle....as you will read as you peruse the forum.
Given proper time to heal during the first months will get you back to fit and happy too.
No worries. I consider myself to be quite patient at the best of time’s. This will definitely test me to the extreme that’s for certain.

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
HI there @mcane21,
I know it's easy to say, but trust me... the surgery itself is the easiest part of the entire THR.
Once you get into the OR, you will be in the good hands of the entire surgical crew and you will wake up couple of hours later in the recovery area.
Losing weight is a good idea but I would't sweat too much at this point. Focus on getting all the support needed to help you once you get back home.
You are young... you will do fine!

Eman85

post-grad
Country
If you were 6 mos or more out weight loss might be a plan. This operation can be a butt kicker so treat it kind of like a bear going into hibernation as your body will need all of the energy it can muster to recover. At 2 weeks best plan is to get all of the required things for recovery and practice with them and prepare your home.

Anniec19

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi & welcome
I was sooo nervous before my op but I am so glad I had it done. My first few days were grim but I'm now taking things easy and it's so much better. I am taking the least amount of painkillers for about 4 years. My issue now is boredom so line up some good books/ films and tv series to watch.
This site is amazing. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.
Take care
Xx

OP
OP
mcane21

mcane21

Country
Australia Australia
Hi & welcome
I was sooo nervous before my op but I am so glad I had it done. My first few days were grim but I'm now taking things easy and it's so much better. I am taking the least amount of painkillers for about 4 years. My issue now is boredom so line up some good books/ films and tv series to watch.
This site is amazing. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.
Take care
Xx
Sounds fantastic. I have definitely loaded Disney plus, Netflix programs onto my iPad for some decent catch up viewing. I’m around 12 days away from the biggest surgical moment ever. It’s getting realer than real. If anyone is reading did anyone have hip replacement performed with the mako robotic arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
PepperPott
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom