TKR Nerve pain^

Quantum

Country
United States United States
2018. April rightTKR, everything great, Oct 2018 left TKR, problems with sciatic nerve pain. This is unbearable. I know if I didn't have the surgeries I would have been in a wheelchair, but with this pain, my quality of life is not good.

I'm sorry for your woes and I know it’s hard to deal with an outcome your not happy with. I don’t think I’ll be able to manage as you have for such a long time.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

I’m sorry you are still so much pain at 7 months post op. I’m going to ask @Josephine to come talk with you.

I’m the meantime I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines that all new post op members get. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Oh quantum, I'm so sorry. But welcome to BoneSmart.

Perhaps you could show me where your pain is using these charts

aa hip-references-horz.jpg
aa knee-references-horz.jpg

Hello @Quantum - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacements, so we can make a complete signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

1st take April 25, 2018, 2nd take Oct 6th, 2018

I feel for you. I have the same issues in my left knee. I had two revisions done - now I'm dealing with nerve pain, sciatica... it's awful. I'm seeing a chiropractor and looking t ... acupuncture believe it or not. Anything that will work!

rah

I had a lot of sciatica issues before my replacements. I found a chiropractor who was able to solve it with just one adjustment, although it needs regular maintenance until I can rebuild and rebalance my hip muscles. Have you looked into massage and or chiropractic for relief?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads