PKR Metal allergy

Cadbury

Country
United States United States
Please add me to the October Feisties’ 2018. Left PKR 10/29/18.

I hope I’m posting correctly as I’m new to this site.

@Cadbury
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

You are posting correctly, why don't you tell us more about yourself and your recovery.

Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Cadbury, welcome. I’m curious, which compartment was your PKR? I had my lateral (outside) PKR last April. So far very very pleased with the results. Hope you have a similar experience with yours.

I had a partial knee replacement surgery on the on October 29 2018. My ROM is excellent measuring at 145 flex and 2 on extension according to my physical therapist. I’m not able to walk properly as my knee flares up easily. I’ve been doing physical therapy exercises every day relentlessly and sometimes I go to the gym and do the elliptical for 10 to 20 minutes, some days walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes and other days on the recumbent for about 20 minutes. My kneecap hurts . when I walk and I have to keep shifting my gait to walk normally (heel to toe). I had my 3 months appointment with my OS on 2/13 and he says my quads are weak due to muscle atrophy. He had a prescription for the pt to do a neuromuscular electrical stimulation to work on my weak quads. My physical therapist said that it is like I’m afraid to step with the left knee (the operated knee) that I’m overthinking how I walk. Does anyone has a similar issue like mine. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have read some of them and will read up the rest.

@Cadbury, welcome. I’m curious, which compartment was your PKR? I had my lateral (outside) PKR last April. So far very very pleased with the results. Hope you have a similar experience with yours.

Thank you NavyGunns. I have replied to Pumpkin and hope you’re able to read my reply to her.

I had a partial knee replacement surgery on the on October 29 2018. My ROM is excellent measuring at 145 flex and 2 on extension according to my physical therapist. I’m not able to walk properly as my knee flares up easily. I’ve been doing physical therapy exercises every day relentlessly and sometimes I go to the gym and do the elliptical for 10 to 20 minutes, some days walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes and other days on the recumbent for about 20 minutes. My kneecap hurts . when I walk and I have to keep shifting my gait to walk normally (heel to toe). I had my 3 months appointment with my OS on 2/13 and he says my quads are weak due to muscle atrophy. He had a prescription for the pt to do a neuromuscular electrical stimulation to work on my weak quads. My physical therapist said that it is like I’m afraid to step with the left knee (the operated knee) that I’m overthinking how I walk. Does anyone has a similar issue like mine. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have read some of them and will read up the rest.

On the patella. I must have missed the word

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone has a similar issue like mine.
Cadbury,
Reading your post, it sounds like you are doing way too much for your knee. Your knee has responded with increased inflammation and pain, slowing your recovery.
To wake up your quad, you may like this gentle quad facilitation exercise.

Suggest you slow down and let your soft tissues heal, and spend more time resting, icing, and elevating.

You do not need to quote a post to respond, just scoot down a bit and start posting in the box, your avatar is on the left.
Here is a link about how to use the quote feature, How to use the quote feature .

Thank you so much for the information and noted on how to use the quote

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi pumpkin, i was using the app on my iPhone and wasn’t sure about the feature. Anyway I’ll take your advice and not re quote the post. Thank you for the quad exercise. I tried it and it’s nice to feel a gentle stretch.

I’m still struggling to walk and hope to turn a corner soon. Can you tell me how long before you feel you’re pleased with your results. I don’t know I should compare results as reading on this forum everyone heals differently. Just anxious to get to where the tightness will ease.

@Cadbury, pleased with my results? That occurred quite early for me. I had an objective to bowl in a tournament 10 weeks after surgery. I’m left handed so my left knee PKR didn’t have significant impact on being able to bowl but I did need to be able to be up and walking with minimal issues. I was able to compete, didn’t do well, but that’s the the fault of my surgery :snork:.

When will the tightness ease? That does take a bit longer. I’m at 10 months and I still feel it, especially in the morning or when I’ve been sitting for a while. For me, I feel it across the front where my numb patch is, so I think the deadened nerves as well as underlying scar tissue contribute to that feeling. But it doesn’t prevent any kind of activity.

Hi NavyGunns, I read your recovery thread and am glad you’re happy with your recovery. I too had the Mako protocol for my patella femoral partial on the left knee. My OS suggested that I was a good candidate for the partial as my medial and lateral compartments are in pristine condition. I have been running marathons for the past 20 years and have stopped running for the past 10 years due to 2 very bad falls in 2011 and the second in 2013. I’m 65 this year. I was in a lot of pain for the 6 years and had 2 arthroscopic surgeries done but no success due to the arthritis. I’m 16 weeks out and I’m not sure I’m happy with my surgery. My knee cap hurts when I do too much like on the elliptical 20 mins and walk on the treadmill 20 minutes. Somehow I have issues when I walk because of my weak quads. My appointment with the pt is today and hopefully he will use the NES device to work on my quads. I’m frustrated with the lack of progress as this is not what I signed up for. Reading all the post in this forum has given me an insight that partial or total recovery time takes a year and 6 months to know it’s good. So I honestly don’t know until I turn the corner and hope like you I’ll be happy with the results.

@Cadbury, I pray that you do have success with your results and that you can move forwards with enjoying life. I know I still have some additional recovery occurring but most involves strengthening efforts that I have to do in moderation.

Thank you NavyGunns for your prayers

I have to chime in and echo what Pumpkin said. Somehow we as humans can get very smart, organized, and strategic, but then at times don't seem to recognize that pain is saying "slow down." Your activity level is too much, and at your stage of recovery, the inflammation created of putting newly injured tissues through that level of activity can stick around a long long time. I have seen it over and over with friends and on this forum.

So if you were to ask my advice what to do, I'd say total rest for a week or two other than normal activity. Strengthening your quad via straight leg raises with a light ankle weight offers an opportunity to build up that muscle without inflaming the knee.

I have a close friend right now who is driving his wife crazy complaining of pain in his new TKR, likely due to trying to exercise through it. Despite advice from several friends to give it a rest, he seems determined to stay the course.

I have to chime in and echo what Pumpkin said. Somehow we as humans can get very smart, organized, and strategic, but then at times don't seem to recognize that pain is saying "slow down." Your activity level is too much, and at your stage of recovery, the inflammation created of putting newly injured tissues through that level of activity can stick around a long long time. I have seen it over and over with friends and on this forum.

So if you were to ask my advice what to do, I'd say total rest for a week or two other than normal activity. Strengthening your quad via straight leg raises with a light ankle weight offers an opportunity to build up that muscle without inflaming the knee.

I have a close friend right now who is driving his wife crazy complaining of pain in his new TKR, likely due to trying to exercise through it. Despite advice from several friends to give it a rest, he seems determined to stay the course.
Hi maryo52, apologies for the late reply. I have not been checking notifications on my iPhone. U know I have slowed down quite a bit and noticed slow incremental progress and I’m not too discouraged now. It’s just that I’m feeling anxious whether I’ll get to a happy place like all the patients here who are happy with their results. I bought one of those TENS unit and have been using it and I think it kind of speed up my recovery. But again not sure if it’s the device or that I stopped doing too much. But whatever works, I’ll take it

I have not posted since February ady I thought I was making progress in my recovery. However in April my recovery started to stall as I was struggling to walk although I didn’t do a whole lot of exercises. On my 6 month visit with my orthopedic surgeon, he couldn’t understand why as he thought I would be walking without issues. He indicated that the reason for the weakness in my quad was a nerve issue. He sent me to see a neurologist to have an EMG done. The test shows my femoral nerve is normal but there was an isolated finding of a partial femoral motor dysfunction. The neurosurgeon than ordered a MRI of the lumbar spine and he went over the results. It seems that I had a nerve that was compressed probably during the surgery which is rare. Just my luck! He recommended a decompression surgery to relief the pinched nerve. That’s how I interpret it. I’m getting a second opinion from another neurosurgeon to see if he’s agreeable with the diagnosis of the first neurosurgeon. What I like to know is whether anyone in this forum have a similar issue. Please help.

The neurosurgeon than ordered a MRI of the lumbar spine and he went over the results. It seems that I had a nerve that was compressed probably during the surgery which is rare
What I like to know is whether anyone in this forum have a similar issue. Please help.
Let’s ask @Josephine
He recommended a decompression surgery to relief the pinched nerve. That’s how I interpret it. I’m getting a second opinion from another neurosurgeon to see if he’s agreeable with the diagnosis of the first neurosurgeon.
I’m glad you’re getting a second opinion on this, and that you are seeing neurosurgeons.

My husband has not had any joint replacements but he has major back pain, and the first neurosurgeon we saw recommended spinal fusion and the second neurosurgeon did not agree, he felt not enough tests had been done to go ahead with that procedure. We are glad we didn’t just sign up for major surgery with the first opinion.

@Wow. Thank you Jockette for the heads up. I have been reading your post and I believe we have similar partial. I really thought I was on track for my recovery. Guess not

Definitely seek additional opinions before deciding how to proceed. You are right to be talking with neurosurgeons. Good luck and let us know how things go. I've changed your thread title for you as you requested.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom