Nerve block that you go home with??

need2knees

Country
United States United States
Can't seem to find info regarding some kind of device that you go home with that controls post op pain...something relatively new as they did not do this with my first TKR 3 years ago. Anyone heard of this? Good or bad? Thanks all...

It's called On-Q Pain Relief System.
It's quite a new system, not widely used yet, but it sounds great.
Apparently, the medication is contained in a little bulb, with a needle that leads into your knee.

Here is a link to a site by the manufacturer:
https://www.halyardhealth.com/solut...e-pain-solutions/on-q-pain-relief-system.aspx

This site gives a bit more information:
http://www.myon-q.com/

We recently had someone who had the On-Q after his knee replacement and found it very good. I can't find it now, but I'll look out for his thread and let you know where it is.

I, too had the On-Q system post-op.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I had also provided information in @mikebob thread as well. As mentioned, this is relatively new. For me, it worked great. My surgeon used it instead of the nerve block, which only lasts a few hours. My system lasted 4 days and I had a pain level around 2. I was also taking 1 Percocet (5-325) every 3 hrs. I believe these systems are refillable, but your OS would know.

Glad I could contribute [emoji846].

I had this wonderful device for my first knee replacement last summer. I was able to press a little button that delivered pain killing medicine directly into my knee. You have it with you in a little fanny pack. On the day I checked out of the hospital, I told my surgeon I really hated to see that device go, and he gave me the good news that I could keep it if I wanted. Before I left for home, they filled the thing up with medicine, and that lasted two more days at home. The very minor down side is that I was anxious to have a shower, and the only reason I couldn't is that you can't get that thing wet. The anesthesiologist put this in before surgery, and surprisingly it didn't hurt a bit. Once it was empty at home, I was worried about two things: what I'd feel like when it was gone, and how I was going to get it out. Neither was an issue. I felt fine when it was gone, and unbelievably I pulled it out myself, based on instructions with the kit. Then you mail the device back in to the manufacturer. Mine was a different brand, but it sounds like the same thing. I am definitely requesting this again when I have my second TKR in July!

Sorry for the very late response!

RTKR ON March 13th.

Nothing negative to report on the on Q-pump system.

Here's how it works,

When you arrive at the surgery center/hospital the anesthesiologist will do an ultra sound above the knee. The object is to locate the two catheters he will then place. This whole operation takes about 10 miniutes. So you go into surgery with these two catheters in place.

Post opp you now have a bag (kind of like an old school fanny pack) and this is directly connected to the front catheter. And there is a dial where you can adjust the drip rate depending on the pain. This lasted me about three days and the doc will refill this as needed. I recall I had it about 8 days or so. I think I had it filled twice.

The second catheter had an open port where I could inject the same medication into it directly. I left the surgery center with it think 20-100ml syringes. I would inject about 30 ml three times a dayear in the rear catheter. The front catheter was connected to the front catheter. Remember this medication is not an opioid. It was explained to me that it is the same as what the dentist gives you for a cavity just a longer lasting formula.

I feel this was the success of my recovery. Now 3 months and I'm back to normal. I have not taken any pain meds thru out my recovery and have had a very successful recovery.

I know they are going to give me a nerve block like this next week, just not sure what it is called, they say it just lasts a few days, but now since I have done some reading, I am going to ask if I can keep it in and bring it home with me!!!! Very informative thanks!

I think they might be two different things. What you will probably have during the surgery, and that lasts for up to a couple of days is a femoral nerve block.
The Q-pump (On-Q) is a commercial product that some surgeons use. It sounds as if it has a lot of potential.

This thing sounds perfect for the future of all surgical patients. And we get away from the strong meds that the doctors are so hesitant to give their patients anyway!

@Celle I think your right! These are two different things (tools) used by surgeons. The Q-pump is for post opp use to manage pain up to 10 days.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom