THR Neerod in recovery

Neerod

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi-had my THR 8 weeks ago and was walking without pain or crutches by 3 weeks. Had a session with hospital physio at 6 weeks and now cant walk without a stick and in pain! Im sure it was side stepping onto a step that caused the problem.
Ive rested hip, iced and painkillers but nothing seems to be helping. Im feeling very depressed and wonder if i'lll ever be pain free or be able to walk normally/ride my horse or do zumba ever again? Ive spoken to surgeon and physio and both just told me to rest/ice and take psinkillers. Nothing seems to be helping!! Has anyone else experienced this sirt of set back befire? I feel desperate- in 69 years old and have do much i want to do in life......

I'm sorry to hear of your set back....I've read plenty of posts where people have had set backs in their recovery for one reason or another where they've said they had been put back by 3 weeks due to physio or over doing it etc so try not to worry at this stage especially as your surgeon and physio are saying rest etc.

Are you really resting and not trying to push on to try and get back to where you were ?

It's a mistake we all can make where we push on thinking we are helping rather than a few of days of just taking it very easy etc and not walking to much and using crutches/stick when we do.

Hoping things turn around quickly for you.

I am so sorry you were pain free and now you are not, How frustrating!

Had a session with hospital physio at 6 weeks and now cant walk without a stick and in pain! Im sure it was side stepping onto a step that caused the problem.

Before my surgery, if the pain got bad, I used crutches to really give it a rest.

I hope this will soon be a distant memory.

Hi @Neerod and :welome: to the forum.
I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged after doing well and suffering a setback after what sounds like a physical therapy session that was too ambitious for your stage of recovery.
Recovering from overzealous PT can certainly take time.:sigh:
Can you please let us know the exact date of your surgery and which hip you had replaced?

I also want to leave you our recovery articles.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Neerod Sounds like all that physio was counter productive. Do read the guidelines Mojo left for you. Hips don't really need all that exercise. Walking is the best physio and then not to excess. Remember - you are in recovery, not in training.

Hi Everyone-thanks for your replies. It helps to know im not alone!! I have been really good and taking it easy (which isnt easy for me! Lol) I think thats why Im feeling especially 'down'...i thought my hip would be much better by now...
I had my right hip replaced on 12th December 2019. Im seeing surgeon again on Thursday so im keeping my fingers crossed he'll be able to tell me why ive 'gone backwards' in my recovery. Best wishes to all fellow THP - hope you're all doing well!

@Neerod while you're relaxing you can read a lot of threads on this forum where most of us have gone backwards a time or two. If you read the recovery guidelines you will see how long the recovery timeline is. I'm approaching 3 mos on my rt. and I'm still very much in recovery. I did a little more than I should have last week and have a few lingering pains from it.

Hello and Happy Tuesday! :wave:
Sounds like you've made a stop @ the ODIC (Over Did It Club) which can take some time to recover from. Rest and ice and ice some more. I hope you receive the reassurance you're seeking at your scheduled post op on Thursday.
Best of luck to you!
@Neerod

Thanks both for your comments/encouragement and advice. I feel so frustrated because I was being really sensible and was completely painfree until I had thd physio session! Ive never had a bad experience with physios but this has made me feel very dubious about trusting them again!!

This is my 2nd THR and I've never been to a PT. Nonetheless I have still always managed to over do it one way or the other. There are so many muscles in our hip are that are effected by this operation it seems you can't help but aggravate some. I remember reading somewhere on this board that hips are 90% soft tissue compared to knees that are 90% bone.

Well, if it's any consolation, you're not alone. You'll find those who are fans of PT and those who are opposed. It's an individual choice and experiences differ for any number of reasons. I went to three sessions and I was done. Didn't feel I needed it and did fine without it. Everyone is different though. See what your surgeon says, then go with your gut. If you return o PT at some point, remember YOU are in charge, not the therapist. Don't ever push through anything you're uncomfortable with, or engage in anything that hurts. You, and only you, pay the consequences, as you now realize.
Wishing you comfort and brighter days.

I remember reading somewhere on this board that hips are 90% soft tissue compared to knees that are 90% bone.
I've never seen that written, on BoneSmart or anywhere else. If you can point us to where you read it, that would be helpful.

I don't think it's correct, anyway. Both hip and knee joints are mostly bone. Admittedly, the hip joint has the large gluteal muscles and the quads, but the knee joint also has some pretty large muscle groups involved, and people with knee replacements quite often get problems in their thigh and buttocks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks both for your comments/encouragement and advice. I feel so frustrated because I was being really sensible and was completely painfree until I had thd physio session! Ive never had a bad experience with physios but this has made me feel very dubious about trusting them again!!

The same thing happened to me as well. I was feeling pretty good, but felt I'd speed things up with recommended Physical Therapy. But, it seemed to work against me; at least some of the exercises did; and I decided to stop going (based on some advise on this board).

I don't blame the P/T Team; they gave me the standard exercises for 'hip replacement' - but I guess my body wasn't ready for it. So, I just went back tow walking and that right now - is enough - and I'm 9-months post-op.

I've had small setbacks along the way; and always remain cautious about the way I move, or twist, etc. Two steps backward, one step forward!

There are so many muscles in our hip are that are effected by this operation it seems you can't help but aggravate some. I remember reading somewhere on this board that hips are 90% soft tissue compared to knees that are 90% bone.
I don't recall a statement like that either, @Eman85. You are right that some large muscles are involved with the hip area. But, interestingly enough, it is usually the smaller muscles that tend to cause problems, usually when someone tries to rush their recovery by doing too much too soon, or in this case with an over-zealous therapist.

For example, the piriformis muscle

1581461083904.png

or the psoas muscles

1581461228309.png

The knee is a more complex joint than the hip and can be prone to pain after surgery for the same reason as hips - trying to do too much too soon. There, you do have the rather large quadriceps muscles as well as many ligaments around the knee joint that can get inflamed and angry with over activity.

@Neerod .... please don't despair. You've been given the right advice about how to rebound from this setback. Unfortunately it can take weeks to get better. If you're used to activity, make sure you really are taking things easy, icing as much as possible and taking something for the pain. You especially want the pain under control as any inflammation can slow down the healing process. If you irritated a nerve, that may even take longer to resolve. This is a time for serious patience.....I know that's hard for most of us, but it's really critical.

Hi all-just been to see physio, seeing surgeon tomorrow. He says probably need joint xraying yo make sure its ok. He thinks ive got damaged muscles and bursitis. I asked him if this eas very common with hip replacement and he said no. Thinks ill need steroid injection into bursa and surrounding tissue. He said it SHUD get better. I dont feel very confident......

@Neerod You will notice I move the post (above) to your recovery thread as it is about your situation, not the owner of the thread where you posted. Please keep all your questions and updates here so that we have all your information in one place if we need to advise you.
I asked him if this eas very common with hip replacement and he said no.
I'm afraid your physio is misinformed. Bursitis is indeed very common post THR and it is usually due to excess activity.

Yes an injection will most likely ease this however you should see your surgeon to confirm there is nothing else going on.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks for the advice and my apologies for posting in the wrong place....my IT knowledge is not very good!
I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow with the surgeon. Its so good to have somewhere to share my worries- im so glad I found this forum!!

Hello @Neerod
I'm sorry you're dealing with some pain and discomfort. Please let us know how the appointment with your surgeon goes tomorrow. Possibly you should consider stepping back from Physio until a later date?

It's a special day....wish you were feeling better,
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief. :console2:

Good luck today at your appointment...as Jaycey said...bursitis is not an incommon occurence after THR and has merited an article in our library because of this.

Hope you get some reassurance today and a plan to resolve your pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back