Bilateral TKR Neehutchy's Recovery<

Phew...I knew that...the scar tissue vs adhesions. And I didn't really think much about it until she kept pointing it out. And, yes, Josephine, I'll answer your questions. Thank you!

Neehutchy, we have a lot in common . I did bilateral dec 7th . I’m almost at 11 weeks at Friday!
I have nt read the entire thread as it’s late and as usual I’m up from stiffness . Do you still have swelling as well? I also have major numbness more in my left, around top of knee and side

Also my rom is 135 in both ! Pt has been hard . I also somehow got a frozen shoulder during the surgery and still dealing with that

Last edited:
In the beginning my swelling was awful. My entire legs, ankles and feet, even my toes, they literally felt like they were going to burst open. Now (18 weeks postop) after work, I have some visible swelling, more like puffiness, on Lefty. It feels like it swells a lot more than it looks like it. Numbness, I have some, but it's more like it feels weird not realky numb. I've been back to work fulltime since 6 weeks postop and did very little nonagressive PT.

I have a wee bit of numbness too. Just realized it while shaving my legs LOL! I had the same thing after an abdominal surgery.
Sounds like you're doing great!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

I'm not sure how helpful my answers are going to be because I'm not taking meds or doing exercises/PT. I wouldn't be bringing any of this up except it feels as though I'm regressing. I was over a month with no issues, no discomfort what so ever, now they are tender and achy.

1. Pain...1 to 3 depending on activity. No outright pain, more the tight, burning, achy soreness feeling you mentioned above. My issue is a lot of tenderness to touch around the knee. It just feels sore like after an intense massage.

2. Tylenol 2 - 650mg and 1 - 220 mg Aleve taken as needed, maybe twice a week, usually in the middle of my shift at work when I get that swelling feeling in the band across the front of my leg above my knee.

3. Swelling...none in the morning or days off with little activity. Slight, after working a 12 hour shift or a grocery/petsupply shopping and errand day. It kinda feels like it's swelling but there isn't much noticeable difference outside of a little puffiness around that band and knee cap. I seem to have a band right above my knee that tightens up, tingles and burns. If I'm standing or pacing back and forth such as waiting in line, doing dishes, folding laundry, cooking the band feels tight and stiff. This band is very tender to the touch.

4. 130+ and 0 on both legs

5. & 6. I have not iced OR elevated (more than the regular footstool) in a long time (6 or 8 weeks).

7. Activity level...I try to do very little besides cooking dinner and removing snow/ice before work. I work an 8 hour shift as a supervisor in a factory. Half of my night is computer and paperwork the other half is walking, standing, getting on/off and driving forklift. After work, I do a bit of housework in the kitchen or folding laundry.

8. No exercises and no PT

working a 12 hour shift or a grocery/petsupply shopping and errand day.
This is why you are feeling more pain and stiffness. This is a whole lot of activity for a 4 month old knee.

1. Pain 1 to 3 depending on activity. No outright pain, more the tight, burning, achy soreness feeling you mentioned above. My issue is a lot of tenderness to touch around the knee. It just feels sore like after an intense massage.
You say 1-3 but then you go on to mention tight, burning, achy, soreness and tenderness. These are all pain that you haven't rated. Plus the slight swelling. I would rate all this at about 7-8 at least.
2. Tylenol 2 - 650mg and 1 - 220 mg Aleve taken as needed, maybe twice a week, usually in the middle of my shift at work when I get that swelling feeling in the band across the front of my leg above my knee.
I suggest you take 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day for that amount of pain. The Aleve Gel has been proven to be pretty near useless as it doesn't penetrate more than a couple of mm below the skin. I think you'd be better off using a TENS machine instead when at home.
3. Swelling Slight, after working a 12 hour shift. It kinda feels like it's swelling but there isn't much noticeable difference outside of a little puffiness around that band and knee cap. I seem to have a band right above my knee that tightens up, tingles and burns.
It's a fact that internal swelling occurs for many weeks after surgery and more, that it often is not visiblt from the outside. Internal swelling is much more uncomfortable than the external type.
If I'm standing or pacing back and forth such as waiting in line, doing dishes, folding laundry, cooking the band feels tight and stiff. This band is very tender to the touch.
Yes, more pain!
4. 130+ and 0 on both legs
Gosh that's excellent ROM!

Summary
I suggest you alter your pain meds as suggested
elevate your legs as per Elevation: the do's and dont's

Wow, Denise!
Since our tkrs are so close I have to say that you are doing far more than I could ever do! And you had bilateral!

I can say that my knee feels a little....just a little....swollen occasionally, but as Josephine said, I'm aware there can still be internal swelling. And it happens after I've been very active.
I had the tight band feeling for a while, but it went away. I'm not working or nearly as active as you. If I was I'm sure it would still be with me.
It's amazing to me all that you've accomplished. I hope your pain and swelling go away soon.

@beachy Weird thing is i went back to work at 6 weeks and only had issues the first coupke of weeks. But i have been trying to loose weight abd am doing a lot more intentional walking at work (intentional as in not necessary)....I'll scale it gack for s while and see if it makes a difference.

@Josephine my 3 pain was the swelling, burning etc. I have never heard of Aleve gel, I meant one 220mg pill with two pills of 625mg Tylenol. I have a tens, but never thought of using it on my knees! Gonna give that a try. Hubby corected me...it's 120+.

Last three days they decided to get itchy! :umm:

Had a follow up with the OS today, with xrays. Everything looks great, he's happy. Red spots on Lefty are "most likely the internal stitches, they look fine, keep an eye on them and let us know if anything changes". He said there was "a little play in the tibial component, but that should resolve as you are only 4 months postop." He doesn't recommend kneeling, said he's not a fan of it, but said I can if I insist. He was impressed with my 30 pound weight loss in the time I've been seeing him (since last June), said if I hit my goal (under 200#) and can stay there the knees would be great. His parting words for this visit were, "you can go do whatever you want." My next appt is in May, which would be 6 months post op.

Soooo, question..is the "play in the tibial component" anything unusual or worrisome? I have no bone cement as he used a press-fit technique for both my knees because he felt at my age that method would better serve my lifestyle.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I know how hard that is to do. You should give yourself a big pat on the back! I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your question about play in your tibial component.

He doesn't recommend kneeling, said he's not a fan of it
I admire anyone who CAN kneel! I certainly can't!
Soooo, question.. is the "play in the tibial component" anything unusual or worrisome? I have no bone cement as he used a press-fit technique for both my knees
Do you have, or can you obtain, a recent xray of that knee?

I admire anyone who CAN kneel! I certainly can't!

Do you have, or can you obtain, a recent xray of that knee?

No I don't have it, didn't think to take a picture of the xray...I did see it, looks the same as the other knee. OS didn't seem worried about it. I asked him about restrictions or anything additional to do to help it resolve, that's when he said it should resolve by my next apt (in late May, would put me at 7 months post op).

My only complaints are stiffness and achy after sitting or standing too long. And the clicking and popping noises. LOL Everyone tells me that is normal and to get use to it. It's just a little unnerving! LOL The right knee clicks three times with every step, to me that seems excessive. And Lefty clicks/pops/snaps every time I get up from a low seat (like the regular toilet). You can feel it and hear it.

You're right that at your stage of recovery some stiffness with sitting or standing too long is normal. That should gradually diminish.
Some people get a lot of clicking. I had some for the first year and then just sometimes randomly after that. I haven't noticed any in a long time. You may find yours diminishing as you recover.

Hi Denise, I'm having snap, crackle, pop issues in my knee. Also, some tightness and achiness. Guess it's the 5 month "gift" :loll:.
Congrats on your weight loss! That's a huge accomplishment.

Congratulations on your weight loss. My Dr told me same thing about doing what ever I want. Just listen to my body and if it still hurts....Don't Do it. Could take a year or more tho get a new Good normal.

I have a click/pop sensation in my replaced knee joint when I walk or bend it a certain way. It doesn't hurt. I think it's the various plastic components sliding against one another.

9 months post op....same complaints I had at 4 and 6 months. I'm starting to wonder if this is as good as it gets. Don't get me wrong, it is far better than it was prior to surgery, but it isn't perfect. I still have some achiness and my knees hurt to push on them or "feel" them. They are still a bit sore/stiff to walk. Nothing requiring medication (not even Tylenol) but they certainally aren't pain free. I can work, I can do everything I need to, (well, except go down steps gracefully). The popping/snapping/crunching is driving me crazy! LOL I have contacted my surgeon, he wants to wait until my year postop visit in October and do xrays. I have debated about contacting my PT and getting his opinion. Other than that....all is well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back