Bilateral TKR Neehutchy's Recovery<

Question...PT said she would "work my patellas" when she came back. Ummmm, what's she going to be doing?

She’s probably going to manipulate it. Tell her no, it’s not necessary. And it seems to mostly be an American thing.

Mine did that, really early in my recovery. It wasn’t painful but after I joined Bonesmart I learned there’s no reason for them to do it and to tell them not to. I have not had a good recovery and now I wonder if they did do something negative to it.

This morning I thought of a better description of “work” the patella, she will wiggle it around to “mobilize” it.

Your patella doesn’t need it.

This morning I thought of a better description of “work” the patella, she will wiggle it around to “mobilize” it.

Your patella doesn’t need it.
It ....ummm, they....move quite well! I checked! LOL.
I seriously don't dont get the medical profession....just leave well enough alone!

I got these super itchy little bumps (resemble goosebumps) that are driving me nuts. I have a call into the OS. I was putting arnica gel on the bruises, kinda thinking this is a reaction to that or to the Hibsclense soap stuff they sent home with me and told me to use until gone.

Let us know what the OS says.

Bound to be something new you are using. If feel like you could Stop both, bumps should dissapear in a day or so. You could then introduce 1 at a time. To check.
I have had a similar rash allergy to one of my choleserol meds

@sistersinhim OS says...Hives! Stop using everything but your regular soap you have used presurgery. Take beyndril and use caladril lotion.

PT was good. Just some stretching and rocking...then we went outside and did my porch stairs, walked to the mailbox and back. She asked how I walked the dog....just let her run loose with us. She was surprised how well behaved Gypsy was and how she stayed at your side. And she did some massage to get the swelling under control and put on my support socks that came today!

I'm pooped and achy tonight....

Besides hives, it sounds like you are making progress. Don't let pt make you work too hard!

What's going on in your world these days? How are the new knees?

Hey! @beachy ....
Sorry, got busy with family and friends. My son got married Friday and we went to the "after party" Saturday night. My first time out of the house since surgery! And saturday we had out of town friends come up for the afternoon.

Bill went back to work today, though he did go in for a few hours Saturday. So today is my first full day home alone with just the dog! I woke up at 7am, got to the bathroom, got a fresh drink and ice packs, let the dog out and settled back into the recliner for a nap! Got back up at 9:30. Bathroom, coffee, got dressed, played ball with the dog, set out meat to defrost, changed ice packs around, moved chairs and played on my tablet. Getting a snack now!

Biggest issue is still swelling. No amounts of ice, correct elevating techniques brings it down. Starting to think I'm stuck with it. Granted I'm probably doing too much as far as walking around, cooking, playing with the dog.

In home PT has been really good. No crazy exercises or forced movements. In fact the PT guy (i like the pt aassistant girl better) looked surprised by my walking and bend and said, "wow, you are doing your exercises". Ummmm, just the few I want to!

Today is the beginning of week 3! Lest see what it holds. I really want to sleep in my own bed, comfortably! Wednesday I have a Halloween party at my work! I love Halloween and always have a shift party for their break. I've called to cater meatball subs...and plan on crashing the party in an old lady costume! Walker, house dress, life alert necklace, grey bun wig, orthopaedic hose!

That's great to hear! I need a nap after reading about your activity!
Congrats on the wedding!
It's really amazing how much you're able to do.
I'm about to post an update on my recovery thread. It's not nearly as exciting as yours LOL

I'm about to post an update on my recovery thread. It's not nearly as exciting as yours LOL
Exciting isn't always the best thing! We only stayed at the after party a couple hours and I needed a muscle relaxer to stop the back spasms and zingers in my knee!

Biggest issue is still swelling. No amounts of ice, correct elevating techniques brings it down. Starting to think I'm stuck with it. Granted I'm probably doing too much as far as walking around, cooking, playing with the dog.
Your swelling isn;t going to go down quickly. It can take months. even at 6 months post-op, you willprobably find tha your knee swells again if you do too mu ch activity for it.
Wednesday I have a Halloween party at my work! I love Halloween and always have a shift party for their break. I've called to cater meatball subs...and plan on crashing the party in an old lady costume! Walker, house dress, life alert necklace, grey bun wig, orthopaedic hose!
It's only just 2 weeks since you had this major surgery and I think youre doing too much - which will contribute to continued swelling.

Have another look at this article, to see what your level of activity should be:
Activity progression for TKRs

For at least the first month post-op, you need to rest as much as possible, so that your nee has a chance to start healing. Doing too much at this stage can slow down your recovery.

Try not to think of resting as "lying around, doing nothing." Instead, think of it as working hard, to give your knee the best possible chance of healing well.
In other words, when you are icing and elevating and watching TV, you are not 'lazing around' - you are "engaging in a carefully considered, proactively designed, heuristically programmed, dynamically structured recovery programme".

The swelling goes down with time and staying off the leg. Even with my new injury, I now have no swelling at all in my right leg. But it's been six weeks since my TKR and two weeks since my revision surgery, and I've spent about 95% of the past three weeks with my leg elevated because of mobility restrictions. Take it easy and treat yourself to some well deserved down time.

Update time! Phew, got majorly distracted with a very helpful house guest last week and birthday celebrations over the weekend. Today is exactly 3 weeks from surgery. I see my out patient pt for the first time this afternoon. I sooooo hope this goes well. Ive talked with him 3x in the past month and have several good word of mouth recommendations of him. He claims, as do the references, to be non agressive and low key approach to pt. I'm hoping his definition of "non agressive approach" and "low key" are the same as mine! He says he does not force bend and insists nothing should be painful and if it causes residual pain/swelling it isn't helpful. He has also said swelling is another sign that your body is being over exerted and should be viewed as "pain". Oh please let his physical demeaner match his phone presence! He sounds almost too good to be true!

My biggest accomplishments this past week was graduating to sleeping in my own bed....laying on my side! Im getting 4 straight hours, then up to pee and let the dog out, 2 to 3 more hours of sleep, up to pee and move to my comfy chair for a heating pad on the back and a nap!

How are you??????
Hi @beachy .... good! I had a friend stay with us last week and spent all my internet time talking and watching her paint (she's an artist and did some christmas gifts for me). She helped me with household chores and took me to a Halloween party at my work. I start real pt yoday....kinda holding my breath and am prepared for battle, but hoping there isnt one!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom