Bilateral TKR Neehutchy's Recovery<

Eval was totally uneventful. He was distracted and disinterested, exactly like on the phone. Only real issue was he said therapy was until I could drive myself to outpatient. ""Ummm, no, therapy is for two weeks. Period. Then I will be going to my private PT."

Nothing major ... Nothing unexpected. Just them trying for all they can get. He did say he would need a script from my Dr to continue as outpatient. "Umm I have that, thank you. I will only need you to discharge me from in home therapy, for insurance reasons." He sighed and said, as he was half way out the door, "we'll discuss that next week." And...he was gone! LOL

Stupid, waste of his time...and ours, really. Didn't give me anything I didn't know or expect. Didnt give me anything acceptable. Everything was typical tkr exercises; leg raises, lateral leg stretches, mini squats at counter, marching, raised foot lunges, tipey toe stretches. Yup, mostly everything not to do week 1! Classic...typical. He was surprised I could lift my legs alone. Hun?

He left and I looked at Bill and said, well, that was a waste! Right in cue, he said, " what? He gave you some really good stretching exercises" Ummmm, yup, momma lost it! I am so swollen I can't bed my knees without painfully forcing them. I am the color of an egg plant from mid thigh to ankles....and ou think i should be doing 3 reps of 10, 4 times a day? Ummmm, lets just say the rest of the afternoon was rather quiet!

Gave him some assigned reading and quizzed him later on. He's now on the same page! For crying out loud we had this convo multiple times over the past month! I am not cowering to those bullies. Peroid! I am shocked how quickly he reverted to mainstream cowering and following orders! Dissapointed, really.

I’m sorry your husband lost his focus, I’m glad you didn’t.

So, this PT did not discharge you like you asked?

Did your insurance require you to have this visit?

I’m sorry your husband lost his focus, I’m glad you didn’t.

So, this PT did not discharge you like you asked?

Did your insurance require you to have this visit?
No, insurance didn't require it...it just kinda happened because i said in home for two weeks, vs rehab. LOL. I didn't really tell him to discharge me. Willing to see the assistant and see how that goes. Was going yo air things out with hubby over the weekend and tell her i wanted discharged from in home, and sent to out patient. Was gonna call the os monday or tuesday if they dont do it as asked to.

Call the pt company and tell them to send someone different. Tell them why.

Call the pt company and tell them to send someone different. Tell them why.
He's it! One PT and one PTA! Love super rural PA!
Perfer the fire them wait for paperwork, go to my own! But til some of ths swelling lets up, I'm trapped in the house! Which, im good with!

I bet super rural PA is beautiful, though!

We lived in Ohio for 7 years and had kids in eastern PA and N.J, and drove Rt. 80 across PA. I loved the rural-ness. I always wanted to live out in the country but it didn’t happen for us. The Rt 80 Drive gave me a good “fix.”

I think the learning curve for spouses varies, depending on the issue at hand. My husband is surprisingly patient most of the time but gets irritated when I give him multiple requests at the same time. I keep explaining that I am always thinking two steps ahead about what I might need so I can get settled in with no more requests. On the other hand, he has widened the bathroom door, installed a faucet bidet, gets up every 2 or 3 hours to help me to the bathroom at night, and worked out a sheepskin wrap under my brace--all without complaint. As I get more into a routine and have more practice with my limitations, I anticipate things will go smoother. We are all just learning this path one day at a time together. Hang in there!

Great...todays newest is itchiness under the bandages! Not like bad itchy, just like healing itchy. It's just where I can't itch it! :whistle::whistle:

Today was a good dsy! I know it is nearly 3am, and I'm just getting to bed. This is normal for me, remember I work 2nd shift. I even cooked supper tonight. Sort of. Mixed it all up and let hubby fry em! We had box mix mac and cheese and homemade salmon patties. Tomorrow i get to deal with pt. Can't wait. Every exercise they gave me is old school tkr ****. Marching, squats, lunges etc....not doing em. Ha....

Last edited:
Stand your ground with PT! Picture us in the room with you telling the PT :bignono:

I’m glad you had a good day!

Yay for a good day:yes!:!
It's nice to get an occasional break from recovery stuff and just feel good!

Try asking pt if he can show you something else that is more gentle to your knees.
I have pt coming today, also. I'm kind of looking forward to it to see what she has in mind and if it's still the same old stuff that I won't do:heehee:

The Joint Center Director where I had my surgery called today to check up, 1 week post op. Playing devils advocate I asked about pt exercises. They are 2 hours away from me and are not familiar with our home health groups, so I asked for a list of things I should be doing now. She said stretching and moving the joint up to the point of "pain". I ask about squats, marching, etc. She got quiet then repeated "stretching and moving the joint up to the point of pain". Then she said "do not do what you are not comfortable with. There is nothing you can do that will hurt your knees besides never bending them again. If you find doing certain things aggravate them and cause increased pain and swelling, stop doing them for awhile snd try them when your healing has further progressed."

I like this lady!!!

Home Health PT scheduled to come at 330pm. I'll be updating! :giggle:

:yes!:! This lady has the right idea! Do not let your home pt hurt your knees!

Well, that went well! I told her sbout the swelling getting bad after doing the marching and squatting, and thst i talked to the joint center dirrector and what she had said. She agreed to dial back the squats, marching, lunges. So we walked, we did stretches, she massaged my itband that hurts like the dickens. She suggested the rocking chair for stretching. I loved that...movement! She measured me...87 (l) and 90 (r). She will be back wednesday and we'd try stairs! No issues. My knees don't hurt...my thighs do! I had ITBand issues and preformis syndrome previously...so this is not new....but with new knees I can't do the stretches I'm use to doing. She said she would bring some print outs on Wed and would work on developing a preformis stretch I can do before thery followed the itband and became an issue.

Last edited:
That’s a great report!

I’m so over my pt that today was her last day. Can’t say I didn’t try.

I’m so over my pt that today was her last day. Can’t say I didn’t try.
Yeah, well, im super sore tonight, super tender....havent tsken anything except Tylenol since Friday but I just took a muscle realxer and my Norco.

Also took off the bandage. So everything is super sensitive! Yeow! I might have swore a little bit! And it's a good thing I did it myself, I might not have been nice to someone if they were doing it!

Reactions: CAB
Sounds like you’re doing just fine. ROM is just a number game at this point, so it’s good not to get caught up in them, but it’s natural to be curious. Yours are par for the course for one week, even excellent, so you can relax and enjoy that rocking chair. Movement really does feel wonderful!

Your Joint Center Director sounds so sensible and spot-on with advice I want to hug her. You have a good support team!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts