Bilateral TKR Neehutchy's Recovery<

Neehutchy

Country
United States United States
Howdy Friends! I'm done! Got here at 7:05, in the anesthesia room at 8:20 (femoral nerve blocks), in the OR at 9:05....remember absolutely nothing until 11:45 in recovery. First words out of my mouth were "omg that hurts". Nurse came running with another dose...maxed out that med and tried another, got things under control, and I was fine! Got to my room at 2:30.

PT and OT tried to get me put of bed at 3:30...this old body wasn't having it! I was too dizzy and it wouldn't stop, so I got to sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes. I can bend my knees as good as I could pre surgery!

Supper was great! For hospital food, it was really good! Bill got me snacks, I brought everyone close to me up to speed, and now I'm bored! LOL. Ohhh, and the best part...my nurse's name is April! Sis is really here in spirit! Although, blonde, this April is sooooo much like my sister it's freaky!

And, there ya have it! Day One...Done!

Congrats on making it to the other side!!!! I hope your recovery continues well.

Welcome to the other side!
Glad you are feeling better after all the dizziness. Tomorrow you should be ready to walk.

Here is your copy of the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

So happy for you. Take it slow. Don't be intimidated by PT.

Glad you are doing well , look after your self☺☺

Great to see you here on the Recovery side! :loveshwr: Sounds like you’re having a typical fun BTKR. I predict you’ll feel amazed the first time you stand on your new knees. And a doppelgänger nurse!!!

Hi Denise :hi:
You did it! Amazing April story! That had be comforting.

You had spinal anesthesia? You seem so alert for day 1. I was out of it for almost 3 days. General anesthesia.

Rest up and post when you can!

Spinal anesthesia is great for waking up clear-headed. I loved that! I had surgery (not knees) yesterday with general anesthesia and am still foggy and sleepy. Hate the stuff. But better it than nothing!

Hi @Neehutchy ! Glad to see you are back! Hope everything is going well. Sending lots of well wishes from Texas! :dancy:

@beachy and @SusieShoes , nope i ended up with a general...anesthesia thought the heard a heart murmur and felt general was safer because they could control blood pressure more. Femoral nerve blocks with a general.

Spent day two being dizzy as hell, passed out in the bathroom, came too with seven people standing there making a huge fuss! LOL. Later in the day I got really dizzy with PR and he wanted xrays to rule out fracture, clot and miss alignment. Soooo i had to spend ghe extra day in the hospital!

Today I've been up, washed myself up, dressed myself, and did occupational therapy snd physical therapy...stair training and am being discharged!

I cant wait to get in my own space! My chair, my bed, my house...my roitine and my dog!

Today I've been up, washed myself up, dressed myself, and did occupational therapy snd physical therapy...stair training and am being discharged!
That's amazing progress!
I cant wait to get in my own space! My chair, my bed, my house...my roitine and my dog!
Your routine for the next while is to do as little as possible and to occupy that chair as much as you can.
Bill got me snacks
Your partner? Msg to Bill: your job is to make sure she does as little as possible. Now's your chance to repay all that looking after you've had all these years.

I am home! The 2 hr ride, then getting out og the car and boardwalk between the house and garage was a killer....thesteps were awful....but I'm in! I hhot so stiff on thw way home, and it was a cold rain with sleet....just miserable.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom