• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[THR] Needingenergy

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
I cant offer any tips like the other members but just support.So hard for you I cant imagine but other posters who have similarly been in your situation gave you sound advice. Rest and elevate any free time you have. Take care of yourself. @RinTinTin I stood up doing that most difficult of necessary chores and I had bilateral. It was a source of worry for me pre-op but it ended up just fine.

OP
OP
R

Regenm

Country
United States United States
Thanks group! I've gone to Wal-Mart at least once every couple days to walk the isles and so far so good. It takes longer getting in and out of my car but I'm doing what I can. I appreciate all feedback and consider all suggestions valuable to my recovery.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
Quick tip about Walmart, clean the carts with the purell wipes. I used the super Walmart as a great place to practice walking while pushing a cart. Great place to pick up any and every germ while you're still in a rundown state. I picked up a bad cold tha morphed into a sinus infection.

JoeKnows

senior
Country
@Regenm I think I started going into the office part time after three weeks, but delayed all meetings and out of office work for as long as I could. And with my job, I can close the door, undo my pants, and shove an icepack where it needs to go, haha. I couldn't imagine having to deal with 7th graders at that point - I definitely would have assaulted someone with my cane.

As everyone else said, get as much time as you can - but if you can't get more, ask your district for accomodations like an aide to help with physical work, relief from any campus supervisor duties you might have, and ideally a phased return as someone else mentioned. If the district gives you a hard time and you're union, maybe ask the union for help in those discussions.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
And with my job, I can close the door, undo my pants, and shove an icepack where it needs to go, haha
That JoeKnows cracks me up :heehee:

At not even a month post op you're doing great. I hope you can get an extension off work. :fingersx:
Keep up the good work and stay in touch, we'll be here.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Regenm

OP
OP
R

Regenm

Country
Yes thanks joeknows appreciate the ice humor. My son will help me tomorrow carrying supplies and my new stool to my classroom. That will help with Monday morning grand entrance. Feeling better from Friday to today. Today was the first day I skipped my daily nap and I feel pretty good. Its as though the fog has lifted and I feel more like myself with more energy. Ill rest easy and take it day by day when I return to work.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Regenm ... don't know if this is relevant ... I'm also a teacher (college) ... and teachers work in such varied situations with varying degrees of freedom ... But ... is there any way you can reduce the workload slightly during the first month ... Like can you go at a slightly slower pace for a while? Teachers are always trying to cram in a thousand concepts ... In my job, I can do that ... by assigning less reading ... or shorter readings ... You may not have the freedom to do so ... or may not feel comfortable doing so.

In any case, I encourage you to see if there is a way to just ease the workload a bit ... even late in the term ... to allow for your recovery ... and your exhaustion. Your concentration may not be 100 percent ... and maybe you can streamline things for later in the term. It's funny ... I typically want to start with a lot of work ... because I can then ease up ... and students appreciate the "reduced" workload ... On the other hand, starting kinda light and then increasing the workload has been a disaster for me--several times.

Good luck. I would say if you've been looking for ways to not be a worn-out teacher superhero ... (and you know what I mean) ... this would be a great time to simplify things ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Regenm

Country
Well I made it until Friday this week. It was a brutal awakening on Monday going back to work. I knew the challenge waiting for me but I did get through it. The first 2 days fulltime was the roughest. Wednesday through Friday seemed better each day. I'm pacing myself and have assistance if I need it:)I will rest all day tomorrow and only have a couple errands this weekend that ill manage. Endurance and soreness are the factors I'm coping with and hopefully things will get easier for me as time progresses. Ill keep you all informed. Have a lovely weekend!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy one month hipversary and glad you have a long weekend to relax.
Assume the position:ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
unlucky
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom