BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

Needing knee surgery overweight

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by sharris, Aug 12, 2019.

1. sharris

sharris new member

United States United States
    Hello my name is Sharon. I'm needing surgery. My knee is bone to bone .I've been needing surgery for two and a half year's. I have lost 47 pounds and I have more to loose . But I can't . I'm in lot's of pain , and the pool and shot's are not helping me . I need help I am in lot's of pain and I am starting to not know what to do . I've seen lots of doctor's . Tired of crying and I need to work . I live in Tulsa Oklahoma . Needing a doctor please.

2. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and Welcome!

I will tag @Jamie for you. She may know of a surgeon to help you.

3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hi, Sharon....I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation. It can really be a Catch22 where you need to exercise to lose weight but can't because of joint disease. Can you tell me what your BMI is? These days many surgeons and insurance companies want you to be below a certain BMI before they will replace a knee or hip. Have you actually met with some surgeons in the Tulsa area? If so, how did those meetings go?

4. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Sharron. Don't hive up
    Get a plan instead. I don't know what your BMI is but if its a problem the best thing to do is lose weight while you look for a surgeom. I lost 40kg without exercise so I know a few things about losing weight. Its not easy but it can be done. I used a keto diet but I combined it with the 5:2 diet amd I stuck to less than 1200 calories a day. I didnt eat high fat foods and increased leafy greens. I felt a lot better without the weight. Best wishes and good luck. Dont give up. Rosie