BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Need to lose weight before surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Wilsomasan, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Wilsomasan

Wilsomasan junior member

United States United States
    I saw the PA last weekwho told me I need to have both knees done. I’m so dreading this. I’ve had both hips replaced but have heard they are a piece of cake compared to knees. I am quite heavy though (247) so may not agree to do the surgery until I’ve lost weight. Has anyone else faced this? What exercises can I do that won’t be too excrutiating? Does anyone have advice on specific diets they tried?

2. Jockette

Jockette Senior BoneSmartie Forum Advisor

Over the years I have lost weight and did not “ exercise “ I just did my normal activities. And I’m not a super active person.

I did South Beach and lost weight, but found it too restrictive, so I didn’t stick with it past 5 months.

My favorite is the Points Plus from Weight Watchers from 2011. It’s not what they are currently offering. Personally, I think their smart points plan is very similar to South Beach.

Points plus gave me a little bit of everything. It took me almost a year to reach goal and make lifetime. Unfortunately I slowly relaxed my efforts and gained it back. I just started it again yesterday.

I don’t think all surgeons require a certain weight before they will replace knees.

Best wishes to you!

3. SherrieT

SherrieT senior

I just don’t understand. If knees are bone on bone, what difference does it make what your weight is?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jajakio

Jajakio senior

Nobody ever said it was easy to lose weight. I had tried before and wasn't super successful. But then I couldn't get my awful knee done until I lost weight. I was in lot of pain and limited mobility and the only exercises I could do were in the hot tub.

.I lost 40 pounds in 6 months and had my surgery July of last year. I think there isn't just one way that works for everyone. I did fairly low carb and i pretty much cut out all real and artificial sugar. Mostly just meat and veggies with a little fruit and cheese. After a few days I wasn't very hungry. Sugar has always been my big deal though. I couldn't do it in moderation, I just had to leave it alone. You will have to find what works for you. Those of us with a good amount to lose are going to have to find something we can do long haul, not just for 2 weeks. But I'm proof it is possible to lose weight without much exercise. Knowing l could not have my awful knee fixed until I did it was enough motivation. You can do it!

Forgot to say I cleaned out the junk food and only had healthy stuff in the house. The husband and kid were told they could go get junk food when they wanted it but had to eat it all before they came home. Absolutely nothing unhealthy in the house. While they did make a trip or two to Dairy Queen without me, the husband lost 15 pounds and the 16 year old lost 5 pounds.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  6. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I lost weight after TKRs but couldn't stick to it and gained it all back. I'd say whatever you do, find something you can live with long term.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  7. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I lost 35+ pounds in the last year with Weight Watchers, not sure how I like the new Freestyle program with more 0 foods, but less daily points.
    Before I went to my first meeting, I made a lifetime commitment to go to meetings, it is the only way I will keep the weight off.
    Cholesterol dropped significantly, look healthier, and I have more energy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I've always been a solid girl, but put on a lot of weight when my knees became bad and put a stop to most of my activity. When I finally decided I needed the surgery, I was afraid the surgeon would give me a hard time and maybe turn me down. He didn't. I was around your weight at that time. He did ask me to lose weight before the surgery if I could, not as a condition but because it would just be healthier. I said I would, and I did. I lost 15 pounds in three months by following a low carb diet and doing more exercise, even though the latter was difficult. I did water aerobics and some very low resistance stationary bike riding at the gym, so as not to further inflame my painful knees.

I liked the results of the weight loss, so after the first couple months of recovery I resumed the low carb diet and have continued to lose weight now that I can actually, for the first time in a long time, exercise without pain. :)

9. Wilsomasan

Wilsomasan junior member

Thank you everyone for your replies. I haven’t heard yet if he’ll approve the surgery. Missed his call today. I’m looking into Dr. Berg’s intermittent fasting plan which seems to be all the rage. Not sure what kind of excercise my body will tolerate. I’ve always walked to get it off in the past, but that’s not an option. Cutting out carbs and sugar is a good idea. I’ll let ya know if he approves me or not. Thanks again for the replies and support. It means a lot.

10. yesyvonne

yesyvonne junior member

You might want to look into Bright Line Eating. It is both that website and a book by that same title, written by neuroscientist Susan Peirce Thompson. It is based in her research about brain function and food addictions, and includes many forms of support during weight loss phase and beyond reaching goal weight. You eat real foods, fresh foods, in specified amounts, breakfast lunch and dinner. No sugar or sweeteners in any form and no flour. Three measured meals daily (protein, whole grains, veggies, fruit) and no snacking. She's building a research record of people who have successfully taken off a LOT of weight and maintained it, a record that seems to show this may be the most effective program out there. In the initial phases, she says exercise is not pertinent and can even be counterproductive. Check it out. I'm doing it; started in mid-October; have taken off 16 lbs so far while doing BLE.

11. Tired2007

Tired2007 junior member

I’m having to lose weight as a condition of surgery not by my doctor, but by my insurer. It’s an entirely different level. Per my surgeon, I might have been the first person denied by an insurance company for knee replacements, but I won’t be the last. I have 8 lbs to get to the BMI threshold the insurer requires. I started Pre-conditioning PT as a way to safely move my joints under supervision ahead of time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. smarttoys

smarttoys senior

Intermittent fasting is not a new thing. It just has a fancy name now. It was how I ate when I was younger. One or two meals a day because that is what worked best for my busy schedule. It wasn't until I was older that I started eating more often because of the advise of so called experts that you should have 5-6 small meals a day. I felt weighed down digesting food all the time and I had to exercise more to stay fit. I returned to eating only one or two meals a day and I feel much better. Eliminating sugar and processed foods helps a lot too.

13. HappyCatTX

HappyCatTX junior member

For whatever is worth. I lost around 35 pounds before my total knee replacement using hypnosis. It worked for me, no special diets, foods, shakes, measuring, weighting foods. For me it worked. Eating healthier foods in less quantities and less junk food. Maybe more fruits, salads, vegetables (things I will not touch in the past). Hey, it worked and continues to work after almost a year. Going to a few sessions and listening to the recordings at night. Again, for me it worked. I am in Dallas. For the cost, give it a chance, and good luck. Let me know if you have questions. I was 300 and now 262. Lost weight in around 5 months, and now planning for my first TKR in March. Wish me good luck.

14. Wilsomasan

Wilsomasan junior member

I have lost 22 so far on Keto with intermittent fasting. Hope I can lose another 20 before surgery.