BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Need to get other hip replaced

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by zelda29, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM.

1. zelda29

zelda29 new member

United States United States
    Right hip replaced at end of May 2018. Lateral incision/approach. I do not feel that it is 100% healed, but close. Some pain but minimal compared to before replacement. Pain in other hip is getting worse and worse. It also needs to be replaced. Is my bad/old hip preventing my new hip from totally healing? Doctor says he is ready to replace it whenever I am, but I am hesitant since I dont feel 100% yet with my new one. I feel my gait and balance are still off. Perhaps the new hip wont be 100% until I get the other one replaced???

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @zelda29 Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
    Your bad hip could be holding you up a bit. If your left hip is stage 4, bone on bone, I'd consider scheduling surgery. It won't get any better.

It can take a full year for complete recovery from THR so you have a few months to go. I wouldn't be surprised though if favoring your new bad hip (left) isn't stalling your progress a bit.
    Let your OS advise and if you trust him / her, take their opinion to heart.

Please provide the surgery date of your right hip replacement to be added as your signature.
    Wishing you all the best as you move forward. Stay in touch!

3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @zelda29 You will notice I moved your thread to the hip pre-op area. Since this thread is about your pending THR it is better placed here.
    No - But that sore hip will impact the way you carry yourself until you get it replaced.

In terms of feeling "out of balance" much of this is due to your bad hip. The new one will be stable but trying to stay off that bad hip will make your gait all wrong. In my experience the longer you limp around pre-op the longer the recovery.
    Unfortunately I think this is probably the case. Don't get me wrong - the new hip is healing well. But until you can put full weight on both hips I think you will continue to have gait and balance problems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 graduate

Canada Canada
    Hi Zelda, I had 'other issues' with a prior leg break when I fell and broke my hip. After a partial emergent hip replacement I was only 50% weight bearing. That all affected my recovery in a pretty big way I think and is likely a big factor in why I am heading back for a revision this early on. Due to my leg my gait, leg strength, etc, etc My bad leg affected my gait which in turn affected my gait which affected my hip recovery. 5 years later I am heading in for a much needed revision. That 5 years with a bad gait, progressing arthritic damage has taken a huge toll on my entire body. Bad gait, difficult heel to toe walking, back issues are just a few of the things I now face. Very long story short ~ in your shoes I would jump at the chance of a quick surgery. I suspect your now bad hip is straining your new hip.

5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

My left was my worst so I had it done. I'd like to think I still have more improving to do and I don't think it has anything to do with my other hip being bad. I think it's all from the basics of how they perform the operation. My other hip is now much more obvious now that the bad one doesn't have the joint pain anymore. My gait and balance are fine and my OS asked me at 3 mos if I was ready to do the other. I wasn't and I'm still not ready.

6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I do think that bad hip is causing undue stress on new one...and good for you for joining the double hippy club soon.
    Two good hips for 2019...maybe will will also see Eman at the clubhouse?

7. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I definitely agree with all the others. If it were me, I wouldn’t hesitate to get the left hip done if it was really bothering me. I am not a medical person but I’m a firm believer that when we compensate for one joint, it adversely can affect other joints creating new issues. I think Layla’s suggestion that if you have confidence in your OS, you meet with him/her and discuss your left hip situation. Then follow their advice. Some doctors don’t seem to want to give specific advice (like yes, you should definitely replace left) but rather they tell you left is bone on bone and will need to be replaced but I think you will know whether you should proceed or not once you meet with the OS. There are many on here who have had a second hip replaced in a much shorter timeframe than yours so it is not unusual. I wish you well and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zelda29

zelda29 new member

The last thing my dr said was you need to get the other one done. I noticed while doing my pt at home this weekend that balance on side with new hip was much better than few weeks ago. That is encouraging. I have pain on left side (old hip) in back above buttock area, but not on the right side. Also have strange pain in outer left leg right above ankle, very strange. Perhaps bad hip is preventing me from walking properly on that leg, putting strain on ankle area or perhaps it is the back/sciatic nerve! Have not seen my chiropractor since replacement, a bit nervous to do adjustments with new hip. Any thoughts on adjustments??