TKR Need Help Navigating Pre-Op Requirements

TN Bigfoot

Country
United States United States
My DW is beyond frustrated trying to navigate through her surgeons pre-op requirements for knee replacement. She has had blood work, knee MRI, chest X-Rays. Problem came in when here primary care physician got an abnormal EKG. They referred to a cardiologist who re-ran the EKG which looked fine. However since the original was abnormal, he required a stress test to clear her. Chemical stress test was done however was abnormal as well. So Monday this week, she went in for a heart cath. Fortunately she was in the 20% where the chemical stress test returned a false positive for heart trouble...all was clear.

So here is the problem. She was pushing on the cardio/orthopedic surgeon/PCP to communicate all results and clear her for the knee surgery. Apparently now the orthopedic surgeon is telling the PCP that she has to repeat all tests to get clearance including another EKG. We are both beyond reasonable frustration since the cath should have cleared her for any heart issues. She has an appointment with the cardio next week to discuss.

Has anyone else encountered this and any advice for navigating this merry-go-round?

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
@TN Bigfoot
Sorry to hear you are getting the run around, I agree clearance from the cardiologist should be the gold standard.
I have heard about members having some difficulty getting clearance, but not to the extent you and your wife are experiencing.

Suggest your wife request copies of all the medical records so she can hand carry the copies of her results to her other doctors.
Ask the surgeon for clear guidelines for the tests needed, including timelines for how long tests will be accepted prior to her surgery.

Please post your wife's surgery date when you have the date, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dgojill
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom