Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so glad to hear you're doing pretty well. Sure hope the RSD doesn't bother you too much....I was really worried what a surgery would do. Love the tiny horses.

It is nice to get some good news from your part of the world!! Why don't you get some Cuddle Duds for those legs to keep them warm this winter? It might help, is worth a try, they are very comfortable and thin enough to go under your pants. Land's End and llBean have silk long underwear too which is practically weightless.

Kelly, it is great to hear from you and how well you are doing! Keep us posted as we miss you! :friends:

Audrey I Have Missed You glad your well happy xmas and have a very happy new year
Andrew

glad u r doing bettter, happy holidays:flwrysmile:

Hi everyone! Well... Its been since 2012 since Ive been active. My story is a long one, which you can search on Bonesmart. Basically, after a botched left knee TKR which also left me with RSD/CRPS, I had several surgeries to correct and free me from dependence on pain killers and to attempt a successful TKR, I opted for a fusion, using the Witchita Nail. Its been 6 years now with the fusion (leg is completely straight and is 1.5" shorter than the other).
I have seen more people asking (and having) fusions since my last postings in 2012. Resources are scarce at best. Im here to answer questions and to help.
Yes, a fusion is difficult and yes, it takes time, patience and a good mental attitude to recover and work with a body that moves differently and alters your way of life. Ive had my good days and bad days where I went so far to look into amputation. Yes, my back hurts from my awkward gait and yes, my "good" knee is now not so good. I will tell you that I have no regrets about having the fusion, as my life is much better... just different.
I can fill you in on specific details if you need them to help you, and I will post later regarding my current concerns about my "good" knee, my back and why I will go the rest of my life with a fusion vs an above-the-knee amputation.
Hope to hear from old knee buds as well as anyone needing info. on kneefusion. Thanks!
"Wanttoride"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Audrey,
Welcome back to BoneSmart, glad to hear your life is so much better. I recall your recovery from your fusion was very challenging.

There are some of us still around from when you had your fusion, hard to believe it was 5+ years ago.
I had a revision in 2014 and am doing well.
If you use the kneefusion in your posts, people looking for information about fusion can click on the hashtag and will have your posts come up.
I have added the hashtag to your post.

Good to see you!

Hello Audrey ,
I'm glad the fusion is working so well for you.

It's a drastic step, and not one to undertake without trying other measures, which is what you did.

I know someone who had an amputation because of CRPS, which she developed after a relatively minor knee injury. Unfortunately, it didn't help her. She still has the pain and she is living in a wheelchair.

upload_2017-6-3_20-31-15.png

Thank you!... and I "Got to Ride" 2 years ago!!! It was only for 10 minutes, but I DID IT.... With a kneefusion

How great to see your wonderful smiling face, Audrey! I'm glad you have made things work. You went through so much getting to this point and I'm so impressed that you want to be available to help others who might face a kneefusion. I'll tag @Josephine so she sees your "hello." She's off the forum right now for a bit following shoulder surgery, but she'll be back soon.

Hi Audrey I remember the saga of your knee replacement and ultimate fusion. I am glad to see you are managing and it was nice to see you on a horse! I am sure you will be helpful to a few of our members who are struggling with pain.

Oh Audrey, how wonderful to hear from you! I've thought of you often and wondered how you were getting on.

Love the photo of you in the saddle, even if it was only for a few minutes. What an achievement! I want to hear lots more of your journey.

Hi Jo! Yes, it was a huge moment for me to not only only trust myself, bug the horse beneath me. You can only imagine my emotions as I sat in that saddle with my fusion leg sticking straight out! I will treasure that moment forever!!!
Ive been having some trouble lately with the after effects of having a fusion and that leg being 1.5" shorter than the other.
I started getting sharp pains in my shin bone 2 years ago. Had X-rays, MRIs, nuclear tests...all came back negative for a hairline fracture or stress fracture. Very frustrating. I had the screws removed from the tibia last year in hopes that maybe that was the reason. Nope. When I get the shin pain, its sharp and lasts for a few seconds then goes away. Its enough to make me catch my breath and hope like heck I don't get another one. Often, I get 4-5 pains about 10 seconds apart and then they stop. This happens whether robot Ive been active or just resting. They are telling me its RSD/CRPS. I think they say this because they have no other answer for me.
Also, lower back pain from my strange gait and now my good knee is bone on bone (medial) and 2 doctors have already said a TKR is inevitable. Dr. Kelly had told me to avoid a TKR at all costs.
Im seeing Dr. Kelly's replacement on Monday. He will he my 3rd opinion as to the state of my situation. I honestly don't know what Im going to do. I now have RA to add to this mess. ... Ugh!

When I get the shin pain, its sharp and lasts for a few seconds then goes away.
I think you may have a condition called Shin splints. If you do, you have my sympathies as I had it too! My chiropractor sorted mine out for me. He's my healer/guru! Great chap.

I saw the "new guy" that took Dr. Kelly's place... Dr. Goldberg. He was great! Let me ask questions, listened and spent over an hour with me. Bottom line, now that I have RA, my complicated situation is more complicated and complex... and at high risk for complications and a bad outcome for surgery on either leg. He said the chance of having a TKR on my right knee fail is too high for surgery.

He also explained in detail how an amputation is NOT for me and explained how my life would be with one. Not fun. Im better off with the fusion. The pain I have above the knee in my fusion is the 2 screws. I may have them out like I did the other 2 last year.

My lower back is curving to the right because of the shortness of the fusion leg and because Im standing on it more to give my other leg less pain. Ugh.

Everything he said confirmed what Dr. Kelly and Dr. Hoffman said.

Im going to see a psychologist to learn what I can do for exercises or if I need to walk on crutches at times. The psychologist deals with the body as it is, rather than trying to fix it.

Im supposed to wear my brace when I have pain, but only then, as thr brace stops the opposite side of my knee from staying strong. He also said the injections in my knee are not going to help long term, so don't have them. Good idea for people putting off a TKR, but not for me.

I may have to take Naproxen on a daily basis for my back pain. So.... Im done wondering and having questions about this, which is good.

Now I need to find an RA medicine that doesn't make me sick, lethargic or in bed for 3 days after I take it. Im trying to stay away from the ones that can cause lymphoma or "other" types of cancers. My body just does not do well with potent medicines. The RA is really bad in my middle and ring fingers on both hands and I've lost 50 percent of my grip strength.

Ive had my boo hoo breakdown a few weeks ago, and Im just going to focus on making great memories

Audrey, I admire your practical approach to all this. Making memories sounds like the perfect approach going forward. Sometimes our lives take a turn that we had not anticipated. Our happiness is always a factor of our appreciation of what we have that's good in our lives, not a worry about the unchangeable things that might not be so great.

I hope you'll continue to post and let us know how you're doing. I always enjoy hearing from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft